Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably about to trade in my SS for a new one and I'd like to trailer it, since I'm in South FL and it's going to rain nearly every day now.

It's only about 2.5 hours away, but I'd just like to pull it with my truck. I'm in Ft. Myers. We have a big trailer sales place here called Tropic Trailers, so I plan on calling them Monday.

Just curious if anyone else has rented a trailer that accommodates a Sling? If so, from where?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Everywhere I tried to rent (local rental place, u-haul, etc...) could not accommodate the wide tire width in the front. Standard car carriers are too narrow by a few inches.

Reactions: GSlings

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
If you look at a 7 x 14 utility trailer it will hold the Slingshot.
EjSS141.jpg

I have a 6ft tail gate and still need to jack the front of the
trailer so that I don't bottom out loading and unloading.
Polaris Trailering Cover works great.
I trailer to Florida in Jan for a couple of weeks....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
View attachment 129457
What did you do, hook the trailer up to your vehicle and jack it up while it was connected? I've got a couple of utility trailers like that, but much larger. I know they are longer, I'll just have to get my brother to be measure the width, as they are at my other property and I can't remember the exact sizes of them. We haul UTVs on them.

I've also got the full cover, so that would work fine!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've actually used a uhaul trailer to haul my SS. They actually have a car trailer that has a wider width for the front tires. I ended up building a custom platform for the rear tire which worked out perfect. I have pictures. If you're handy, you can make the rear platform. If not, I wouldn't mind building one for you and shipping it to you for a price.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've actually used a uhaul trailer to haul my SS. They actually have a car trailer that has a wider width for the front tires. I ended up building a custom platform for the rear tire which worked out perfect. I have pictures. If you're handy, you can make the rear platform. If not, I wouldn't mind building one for you and shipping it to you for a price.
very interested. can you PM more info?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Yeah, @CodedByCorey is correct, U-Haul has a trailer that is wider than their standard trailer. Here is what you need to look for:

Must have a maximum outside-to-outside tire width of 79.25" Note: outside tire width over 75" must use late-model U-Haul Auto Transport (identifiable by silver galvanized color).

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Huh. Good to know. When I went to my local u-haul, he didn't have anything that wide and didn't offer anything more than he had on the lot.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
What did you do, hook the trailer up to your vehicle and jack it up while it was connected? I've got a couple of utility trailers like that, but much larger. I know they are longer, I'll just have to get my brother to be measure the width, as they are at my other property and I can't remember the exact sizes of them. We haul UTVs on them.

I've also got the full cover, so that would work fine!
Jacked up trailer while hooked to tow vechiel ... if you don't reduce the angle of the ramp you will scrape the bottom front fin.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Huh. Good to know. When I went to my local u-haul, he didn't have anything that wide and didn't offer anything more than he had on the lot.
You may need to call around a bit. I had to call like 3 local U-Haul dealers before I found one that carries them normally. Seems like the bigger dealers are your best shot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
View attachment 129457
How much dough? Is there a single axel available?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
How much dough? Is there a single axel available?
The dual axel is the one I went with....paid about $2,500.00, also had to put a hitch and electric break setup on our 2011 Ford Edge ($700.00). The Single axel should be about $1500.00. Usually no electric break.

·
Registered
3 Posts
what did you guys use as a ramp for the rear tire?
I used the system diagramed below. But i used a 2x10 board as my rear tire ramp. We had to drill a couple holes to allow a winch strap to get through it so that the SS didn't throw the board while running up/down it.. Was a simple safety step.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A few pictures of my SS on the u-haul trailer. Drove from New Hampshire to NY.

I just went to a local u-haul and did the measurements myself. Hopefully these pictures help.
This was an ABSOLUTE LIFE SAVER!!!!
I had to make a long 4.5 hour drive to purchase a SS before the seller sold it to another buyer. But i didn't have anyone to go with me so i could drive it back. Needed to tralier it but nothing was working until i saw this post. LIFE SAVER!! Awesome field engineering!!! Worked like a top!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts