Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
@ruptured duck, is the 3" cat the pipe on the left under the hanger? (I wanna play doctor too, but need to know where to make the incision.)

View attachment 68089
(click it! click it!!)
The dish is the 3" Cat. The other is the exit pipe from the 3rd chamber through the 2nd to exit.
If you plan to weld it back up use the thinnest cutoff wheel you can find. This will minimize the gap you will need to weld. My suggestion would be to cut along the lines you see in my images for chamber 2.
On the other side (chamber 3) you will see a series of spot welds. Cut along the outside of these (you will see the discoloration ). This should allow you to remove the mesh screen with the fiber blanket attached. This will also give you direct access to the other side of the Cat. Something I could not do with my original cut.

·
Super Moderator
2,871 Posts
The dish is the 3" Cat. The other is the exit pipe from the 3rd chamber through the 2nd to exit.
If you plan to weld it back up use the thinnest cutoff wheel you can find. This will minimize the gap you will need to weld. My suggestion would be to cut along the lines you see in my images for chamber 2.
On the other side (chamber 3) you will see a series of spot welds. Cut along the outside of these (we will see the discoloration ). This should allow you to remove the mesh screen with the fiber blanket attached. This will also give you directions access to the other side of the Cat. Something I could not do with my original cut.
That's really useful information, thank you @ruptured duck! I have a really thin cutoff wheel set to rock-n-roll, and will follow your opening into the second chamber to detonate petri-kitty. That should reduce the back-pressure in chambers #2 & #1, giving it a more throaty, slightly raspy sound.

I'd hoped to replace the exit pipe with something larger, not practical given the pass-through from chamber #3 through chamber #2 to atmosphere. A better bet might be to use the @lilb93 exhaust tip in chamber #3, if pretty-kitty detonation in the short header and muffler isn't enough restriction removal.

The only hold-up is Squirrel's manifold is in transit, due in Monday.

pk_slider21[1].jpg
(the only pretty kitty association I'm interested in)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I had a short piece of chrome moly 2" dia. Cut it down to 1.89" and tapped it inside the stock outlet and put a tack weld on it. It was getting a popping from the unburnt fuel on deceleration with both open.
IMG_2566[1].jpg
IMG_2567[1].jpg
IMG_2569[1].jpg
IMG_2570[1].jpg

·
Registered
329 Posts
Popping stopped. sounds about the same. I like it a nice sound.
I did mine this way too. I didn't have any popping out of it so I left both open. I'm more or less happy with the sound of it. Definitely loud when you mash the pedal.

·
Registered
770 Posts
It's amazing how many people trash the stock , as if the engineers are Dicks', Not' Even with Cat, it flows well and renders the correct back pressure. All muffler makers talk about their product being better or more efficient. As in auto industry, the stock muffler, although quieter, is very efficient at what it does. I tried after market exhaust on many of my pickup trucks, more noise and tiny increase in performance. After three exhaust on the SS, it's back to stock and loving it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's really useful information, thank you @ruptured duck! I have a really thin cutoff wheel set to rock-n-roll, and will follow your opening into the second chamber to detonate petri-kitty. That should reduce the back-pressure in chambers #2 & #1, giving it a more throaty, slightly raspy sound.

I'd hoped to replace the exit pipe with something larger, not practical given the pass-through from chamber #3 through chamber #2 to atmosphere. A better bet might be to use the @lilb93 exhaust tip in chamber #3, if pretty-kitty detonation in the short header and muffler isn't enough restriction removal.

The only hold-up is Squirrel's manifold is in transit, due in Monday.

View attachment 68113
(the only pretty kitty association I'm interested in)
Hedgehog did you every try getting into the factory muffler. I did it this weekend and like the new sound couldn't take 1320 muffler any more. the only thing that I regret not doing is adding the 2 and 1\2 exit pipe.

·
Super Moderator
2,871 Posts
I did not. We got a new motorcycle because the Titanium is down, and I've been working on the bike and pulling the Titanium's turbo, sorry. I'm set to go otherwise, just work and other commitments are keeping me busy too.

The turbo has studs, and they're not supposed to come out easily, which is a huge plus when making big power, and can make getting the turbo out much more difficult.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@lilb93 I think it's a very valid question and idea regardless of what others think. I have not heard a muffler system I'm liking enough to fork over the price that is being asked. I have an extra muffler in my garage that I'm going to cut open and see if there is any modifications that can be made inside. I like the idea of a short pipe and think the flow can be improved. It's already designed to fit so there is that. The 16.5 models have the improved heat reduction so the heat thing is not an issue for me.
When I bought mine I actually looked for the header, or pipe, or exhaust - where the hell is it...? Then I found the bread box under the hood. Really think Polaris missed the boat in not putting a side pipe on each side - would look waaaay cool.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
It's amazing how many people trash the stock , as if the engineers are Dicks', Not' Even with Cat, it flows well and renders the correct back pressure. All muffler makers talk about their product being better or more efficient. As in auto industry, the stock muffler, although quieter, is very efficient at what it does. I tried after market exhaust on many of my pickup trucks, more noise and tiny increase in performance. After three exhaust on the SS, it's back to stock and loving it.
Last week coming home from work I noticed that we had new neighbors moving in across the street and a gorgeous Harley was sitting on a trailer. As I was backing in to the garage the neighbor was giving me the eye and then started walking over, he just had to take a closer look at the Grasshopper. A comment that he made really struck me, ".......and I noticed when you pulled up that it really sounds good also!" :)

Bill

41 - 57 of 57 Posts