Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,155 Posts
Yes curious minds want to know? Not only are they heavy hot pot belly stoves but they reflect all the sound right off the pavement back into the cabin.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Someone posted pics of a dissected stock muffler. IIRC, the way the muffler is constructed, your idea of making a dual exhaust probably won't work.

Found the thread - CAT and Muffler Heat Solution, Post # 11. Looking at the pic, I don't think your idea will work. Maybe I misinterpreted the pic. There are several pics in the thread.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just wanted a different sound from it. Looked at a lot of aftermarket mufflers for sounds on u tube. Just not what I am looking for. Most have that crappy foreign car drone sound. I want the viper V10 sound. Yea Im asking a lot. The photos are just what I needed. Thanks BKL.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In 1995 I bought a new Viper Yellow Convt. You could not get out or in without burning your legs. Pulled the side exhaust covers off. The cats on both sides went from 3"pipe to 1 1/2" inside the cats. removed the cats with straight pipe and put on 15.00 cherry bombs. and welded the factory down pipe back to the cherry bomb. Loved the sound, would set off car alarms going down the street. The Photo was taken at 3:00 am back then they were open 24 hrs a day.

img032.jpg

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
@Lambosling, Any pics of where you drilled the new hole? Did you just drill on the hole so it was positioned as a left-right mirror to the original muffler outlet?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
No did not get to it today, was pouring rain all day and would have to get the sling out of one garage to the other.
@lilb93 I think it's a very valid question and idea regardless of what others think. I have not heard a muffler system I'm liking enough to fork over the price that is being asked. I have an extra muffler in my garage that I'm going to cut open and see if there is any modifications that can be made inside. I like the idea of a short pipe and think the flow can be improved. It's already designed to fit so there is that. The 16.5 models have the improved heat reduction so the heat thing is not an issue for me.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Used a 2' Stainless tip was 18.00 from local auto parts. cut the hole with a 2 1/8" hols saw and it fit perfect. Tried to up load the sound video have to wait says you-tube. I like it for a cost of less than 20.00 bucks. If you do it make sure you disconnect the battery before welding. Second photo shows inside the cut hole. Third photo had to shorten it.
IMG_2555[1].jpg
IMG_2556[1].jpg
IMG_2557[1].jpg
IMG_2559[1].jpg

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm struggling with Exhaust right now as well, really trying to decide which way to go. I have a 2016.5 Blue Sling, was riding this weekend and after about an hour humming along at 80 with the cruise set after I got back in town was getting an annoying rattle coming from the passenger side. Got home and the Heat Shield around the stock muffler was kinda loose. So I tightened the 4 bolts that hold this thing in place and as soon as I tried to tighten the clamps they broke, replaced them with some bigger clamps and that noise went away, like some Slings there is plenty of other noises, but that does not bother me. I read the forum everyday and will continue to do that until I can make an informed decision on Exhaust. I am going to put the Alpha Header on the Stock Exhaust for now and see how that sounds, CAI and a few other little mods. I continue to meet other SlingShot owners and look at Exhaust. I do kinda like the Twin Shot, not way loud. Time will tell.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just have not found the right sound from aftermarket exhaust. As for the headers the engine does not make anywhere enough power to install headers. I believe a total waste of money. I like the cheap 20.00 exhaust, quiet while running and LOUD when you get on it. Made a video of it and used the wrong case for the go pro NO sound.

·
Super Moderator
2,883 Posts
The 1320 manifold does change the exhaust sound (a little), and does allow the engine more power around red line. It's not cheap for the power it adds and where it adds it, but it is beautiful looking. One could probably make the same or better gains by removing the catalytic converter--although that might be illegal due to government regulations.

The historical modifications for N/A power on the cheap are gut the cat pipe, replace the muffler, replace the intake, re-program the ECU. The cat could affect warranty, the ECU flash voids the warranty if Polaris finds out, depending on what failed.

If one still wants more power after those changes it might be best to bolt on a turbocharger kit, that's up to the owner. I can tell you a turbo is hard on fuel mileage and a bit rough on the rear tire, at least as far as my experience with the Slingshot goes.

your_mileage_may_vary_t_shirt-r6eec7ce64dac4755a84c058b508c2c8d_jg4dk_324[1].jpg

1 - 20 of 63 Posts