Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time MC commuter here... Commuted from 1998 to 2007 on bikes exclusively, until my accident, and ensuing injuries prevented me from doing so.

The SS may change that for me. Anyone else thinking of doing the commute? Wondering what kind of mileage this thing will get when driving it "nicely"?

Positives when compared to a car?

Negatives compared to a car?

Positives compared to a bike?

Negatives compared to a bike?

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I pick one up it will definitely be tossed in the mix with my other commuters. I'll drive my Focus ST some days but mostly it'll be a toss up between one of my bikes and the SS once I get one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I work in Vegas, and commute 250mi one way, every weekend to a second home where my wife and daughter live fulltime. Living in the fair weather of the SW, this is an exciting option! That's why I'm here. The SS looks very interesting!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was wondering about a trailer hitch for my small mc trailer, then I could carry more on the weekends.
The mileage per gallon that I seen for driving nicely was 40 - 50mpg. And if that is true, this could replace my Focus for 3 seasons.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm wondering what negative aspects are of the vehicle, aside from the obvious, in comparison to a bike...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, both interesting points, and I wonder what the wind is like vs a decent fairing. I'm not expecting an anemic cockpit, just thinking of those cold winter mornings and wonderful hot commutes in PHX...

Lots of love for those days, and the sweaty jackets, and frozen extremities... wonder how good / bad it is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was wondering about a trailer hitch for my small mc trailer, then I could carry more on the weekends.
The mileage per gallon that I seen for driving nicely was 40 - 50mpg. And if that is true, this could replace my Focus for 3 seasons.
The Spyder offers a trailer hitch that mounts the the swingarm. Don't see why that wouldn't work for the SS

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've commuted for years in sports cars that require the roof to be put on, no electric motor. The challenges are:
1. you need to cover the vehicle cockpit if you have uncovered parking or the interior fills up with water during a shower. There are good solutions out there for cars that go on in a few seconds.
2. getting caught in a rain shower in an open vehicle - you can always pull into a gas station to assemble the top but I've been soaked in dress clothes a few times sitting in traffic.

As the Slingshot will never have a roof I guess we'll be treating it like a motorcycle and pulling on rain pants and a jacket when it storms.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts