Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BIG EDIT: The method Polaris uses to make our seats involves pressure injecting the rubber into the foam of which the seats are made. In this picture here what it turned out to be was excess black rubber that ended up over sprayed onto the red portion. With a little scraping all the black came away to reveal perfect red surface underneath. I am sorry for any confusion and take full responsibility for being a goof.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417888338.591868.jpg

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
This is not a very good sign! I really don't want the SSto look like a beat up ATV after only a few hundred miles!

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I was surprised. Honestly I figured the red part would actually be red. Instead it seems that it's black and painted red.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wow. That's not good at all.

My gut is that they use a product similar to SEM's 'ColorCoat'. I've used it in a $18 rattle can before and it's fantastic. Perhaps Polaris uses some commercial grade type application of it. Either way, the fact that it is rubbing off so quickly is not good.

I'm very excited about putting an SS in the stable come spring thaw, but I'm seeing a lot of quality control issues that are quite concerning - and quickly. Not after 4 months, but after 4 days. I know we can say '20K vehicle', but there are many, many $20K vehicles one can buy without these sort of issues.

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I honestly believe they will take care of it. In this case I would have been happier with just a black seat that won't wear away!

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Absolutely. I got it out a little this morning. Let me tell you. It's incredible. Turns are a blast. You can break the rear end loose on a turn in first or second with just some extra throttle. I haven't played with it much, but one tap of the middle button turns off the traction control. Holding it for a few seconds turn off the traction and the skid protection. I hadn't seen that trick posted before. It's raining hard now, so don't expect any more info for a bit. Also you need to turn the brightness all the way up on the infotainment display. It's pretty hard to see otherwise. Night mode is probably not necessary. It makes the back up camera hard to see.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
Absolutely. I got it out a little this morning. Let me tell you. It's incredible. Turns are a blast. You can break the rear end loose on a turn in first or second with just some extra throttle. I haven't played with it much, but one tap of the middle button turns off the traction control. Holding it for a few seconds turn off the traction and the skid protection. I hadn't seen that trick posted before. It's raining hard now, so don't expect any more info for a bit. Also you need to turn the brightness all the way up on the infotainment display. It's pretty hard to see otherwise. Night mode is probably not necessary. It makes the back up camera hard to see.
That's awesome Cameron. It's good to hear that it's worth it. I still can't wait.:)

·
Registered
508 Posts
There you are John. Glad to see you didn't disagree with Cameron's post regarding his fit and finish issues.
With the amount and time that Polaris have design the Slingshot..it's pretty good in my opinion. Design, research and development and produce takes a long time. Lots of Government issues. Anyways, I'm sure that Polaris has its hands full.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Same thing is happening to the white paint on the tops of my RZR seats. I don't think it is a very durable way to put color accents on them.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
With the amount and time that Polaris have design the Slingshot..it's pretty good in my opinion. Design, research and development and produce takes a long time. Lots of Government issues. Anyways, I'm sure that Polaris has its hands full.
That still doesn't make clear what you disagreed with. I posted a picture of paint actually flaking off an SL so that members of this forum could be informed. You then subsequently disagreed, then ignored an inquiry as to the reason why. Did you disagree that the paint was coming off or do you disagree with my willingness to show my fellow slingshot enthusiasts?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts