Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know modern vehicles really don't need an official break in, but... What are you thoughts on breaking in the SS? I'm always a little leery to take a new engine for a spirited ride. I'm concerned about hitting hard acceleration or maintaining high speed. What do you guys think?

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would expect the typical. "There is no formal break in required for modern engines. We recommend that you avoid redline acceleration and keep your speed under 60 mph. Avoid sustained periods of a single speed. Vary your speed between 5 and 10 mph while driving for the first 500 miles." I brought this up because I know there are much smarter and better gear heads on this forum. Let's hear your experience and wisdom!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Drive it like you stole it. :)

I suspect these things are going to earn rental car miles. Sort of like dogs years. Every mile in an SS is equal to the abuse of seven in a regular car. It sucks to think that way, but isn't that why you buy an SS...to run it hard?

·
Registered
424 Posts
And what is Polaris saying about break in, first oil change? How many miles? and what kind of oil? Can you switch over to synthetic? How many qts? I am sure the manual must already be published and ready to give new owners.

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm of a mind that synthetic will be a must. I also expect to drive this thing hard. Mainly that's why I wanted other opinions. Like maybe just take it easy for the first 500?

·
Registered
839 Posts
I know modern vehicles really don't need an official break in, but... What are you thoughts on breaking in the SS? I'm always a little leery to take a new engine for a spirited ride. I'm concerned about hitting hard acceleration or maintaining high speed. What do you guys think?
Good question...i am worried about guys gonna put 400hp in the SS...! Remember you got only one wheel behind!! Its gonna skate hard with 400hp!! The T-Rex get 200 hp(+/-) and it's easy to lost the tail on hard shift it down shift...just take care!!! I remember a video on youtube of a guys crash is in T-Rex just because he downshift too early on cold road...so, rain, cold or any bad weather can need more vigilance!!

·
Registered
839 Posts
No bouncing off the rev limiter and don't redline it every time you drive it. Also do not maintain a same speed for a long period of time. After 500-1k miles change the oil with a good filter and use a good oil like Rotella T6 that has added zinc.
For the "rodage"(i don't know if its the good word)... i mean, you said do this for the first mileages with the SS?

·
Registered
37 Posts
3 more words on break- in:NO SYNTHETIC OIL !!
Use Valvoline, Halvoline, or similar 10 w 40 Petroleum Car Oil for at least 1,500 miles of street riding / driving.
After that use your favorite brand of oil.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
I've been fortunate to have a lot of new vehicles and I always break in a vehicle the same way, I drive them like I'm normally going to drive and enjoy every minute of the newness! I make a conscious effort to not hold the engine at high rpms for the first few hundred miles, but otherwise, I just drive it like I normally would. I always do the first oil change at about 500 miles or so. I figure if there's anything floating around from the new engine it wouldn't hurt to get it out of there early. I've never had any issues and I always have friends standing in line to buy my vehicles because I usually sell them quickly because they are better than new when I get done with them.

·
Registered
839 Posts
3 more words on break- in:NO SYNTHETIC OIL !!
Use Valvoline, Halvoline, or similar 10 w 40 Petroleum Car Oil for at least 1,500 miles of street riding / driving.
After that use your favorite brand of oil.
What oil Polaris put in the SS out of the assembly line?

·
Registered
37 Posts
What's the danger of synthetic oil early on?
All your answers are in the link above;
A:Because while about 80% of the ring sealing takes place in the first hour of running the engine,
the last 20% of the process takes a longer time. Synthetic oil is so slippery that it actually "arrests" the break in process before the rings can seal completely. I've had a few customers who switched to synthetic oil too soon, and the rings never sealed properly no matter how hard they rode. Taking a new engine apart to re - ring it is the last thing anyone wants to do, so I recommend a lot
of mileage before switching to synthetic. It's really a "better safe than sorry" situation.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts