Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a post the other day referencing a SS blurb that said it was "for extroverts of all ages."

That gave me a jolt as I contemplated all attention/questions I'll be getting everywhere I go.

I'm one who would hate being famous with the attendant hassle and restriction of free movement with people always stopping you to schmooze and ask questions.

I'm #1 on the waiting list and thought about laying low for a year and let the other guys field the first thousand questions.

But I guess it will take years until the SS stops being something most people have never seen before.

Guess I'll just have to hide inside my helmet as someone suggested (Centhron, I believe).

·
Vendor
2,226 Posts
There was a post the other day referencing a SS blurb that said it was "for extroverts of all ages."

That gave me a jolt as I contemplated all attention/questions I'll be getting everywhere I go.

I'm one who would hate being famous with the attendant hassle and restriction of free movement with people always stopping you to schmooze and ask questions.

I'm #1 on the waiting list and thought about laying low for a year and let the other guys field the first thousand questions.

But I guess it will take years until the SS stops being something most people have never seen before.

Guess I'll just have to hide inside my helmet as someone suggested (Centhron, I believe).
I would say you'll probably be on several youtube videos... especially within the first year of release. As you mentioned your identity is nicely concealed behind your helmet. Conversation will be to a minimum if you don't stop to get a bite to eat on your daily rides :). If you're in the #1 spot, you're in a spot most wish they were in. Enjoy this new experience my friend!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Anytime you drive a "special" vehicle you will be subject to a lot of people that will admire, comment and question you about them. That is a good thing, even if it gets tiring after a while.

If you are buying an SS, you have already stepped into the "Special" Category!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm not an extrovert, but I think this is going to be awesome.

I enjoy driving down the road today in my plain jane pickup... and watching everyone paying zero attention as I go by. Then I imagine what a difference it will make when I'm behind the wheel of a Slingshot... especially early on.
Eye_Popping_Cartoons_by_JVCartoons.jpg
And trust me... I'm fully aware it's all about the vehicle. I have never turned a head unassisted.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It will take forever for the novelty and curiosity to wear off. You'll definitely be the center of attention wherever you are. My wife has had her Spyder for over three years, and the brand has been out there for six-plus years and it still draws a lot of questions. Just feel very proud that you're driving such an awesome vehicle and get to become a de facto brand ambassador. Start practicing your answers to the standard questions: "What is that thing" "How much did that cost?" "What kind of mileage does it get?" "Can I sit in it?" "Is it fun to drive?" etc...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Back in 99 I bought one of the first Honda S2000's. There was enough excitement about the car before it came out and I guess it was just different enough to get a ton of attention. The forums were full of stories about people having wrecks trying to get a better look at the car. I saw several near misses and watched one guy drive his car into a retaining wall while looking at mine. I had to "dodge" idiots that turned their wheels in the direction they were looking. There's no way in heck the S2000 got as much attention as the SS is going to receive. Now everyone will have their phone out trying to take pictures or videos making matters most likely worse.

I'm not saying this to discourage Noah or anyone else, just be prepared, ride/drive extra carefully in the area of others, and you'll likely find yourself with a big grin hiding under the identity blocking helmet!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Back in 99 I bought one of the first Honda S2000's. There was enough excitement about the car before it came out and I guess it was just different enough to get a ton of attention. The forums were full of stories about people having wrecks trying to get a better look at the car. I saw several near misses and watched one guy drive his car into a retaining wall while looking at mine. I had to "dodge" idiots that turned their wheels in the direction they were looking. There's no way in heck the S2000 got as much attention as the SS is going to receive. Now everyone will have their phone out trying to take pictures or videos making matters most likely worse.

I'm not saying this to discourage Noah or anyone else, just be prepared, ride/drive extra carefully in the area of others, and you'll likely find yourself with a big grin hiding under the identity blocking helmet!
please don't take it wrong way, but I never heard of anybody running into a wall because they were looking at a Honda!
If it did happen to you I put down my hat for you.
Over here every guy that drives a Honda thinks he drives a Ferrari that spells with the letter "H" lol
Just yesterday I was coming back from Ottawa this guy is driving A Honda Accord trying to race my Hayabusa....?!!!!!
I'm really sorry I'm not a hater I'm just being realistic.
I do agree with the fact that we have to watch out, especially when we have a machine that is never been seen on the market before

·
Registered
396 Posts
Haha Mike, I agree that it's just a Honda. I didn't understand it at the time but people were stupid about those things at the time. And yeah, it happened. It might have made sense if I'd had a hot topless babe in the passenger seat. Now they're nothing but an old car that every wanna be punk kid can afford. I can well believe the accord driver wanting to race your Busa, sounds typical.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
You must forgive me, I really hope that you didn't take it in the wrong way when I was talking concerning someone hitting a wall

Really feel bad for the person that needed to build back the wall :)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
It will take forever for the novelty and curiosity to wear off. You'll definitely be the center of attention wherever you are. My wife has had her Spyder for over three years, and the brand has been out there for six-plus years and it still draws a lot of questions. Just feel very proud that you're driving such an awesome vehicle and get to become a de facto brand ambassador. Start practicing your answers to the standard questions: "What is that thing" "How much did that cost?" "What kind of mileage does it get?" "Can I sit in it?" "Is it fun to drive?" etc...
I guess carrying 5 x 8 cards with all the questions and stock answers is out of the question? It would sure save a lot of unwanted interaction.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I can tell you from past experience, that all the attention you get will be welcome at first. It gets very old quick. Especially when you are riding with a group and everybody's ready to leave yet there's a crowd around your bike holding you up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had to tow this from St Louis to Pheonix when the final book came out. It was the same way. People would fly past me on the highway until they saw what it was, then jam on their brakes while trying to find their camera/ phone and try to get a picture. It was pretty scary how many "near misses" I had from drifting drivers staring at the bus. I even had a couple wake me up at night while sleeping in the truck to ask questions about it.

I would imagine it will draw that kind of attention. Dont stop for gas if your in a hurry! lol
potter1.jpg
potter2.jpg

1 - 20 of 37 Posts