Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still really stoked about this product but I have to be honest. The cool weather the last couple days (lows in the upper 30's highs in the upper 50's) has me thinking snow and cold early rather than sunny and warm top down driving this fall. The sleds are ready to roll so this would be a good thing but I have to admit that if delivery is not until end of October I may have to think hard about picking my reservation up only to turn around and park it for five months.

Sure there are still plenty of rumors about early October delivery, and that would help, but I personally don't put much stock in dealer speculation on factory plans. They normally know about as much as we do and only know for sure when the paperwork arrives. I have had plenty of dealers give me dates in the past that came and went. In fact a new sled I ordered for fall delivery last year did not arrive until a week before Christmas. I was told it would be middle of November at the absolute latest.

Realize there are those that will tinker with their SS all winter long but that's not me. Will be hitting the trails with any free time I have (which is very little anyway). My gut says to just buy it as the cash is sitting in the bank earning next to nothing but my head says to just take my time, wait until spring and see how the deliveries shake out.

JD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Still really stoked about this product but I have to be honest. The cool weather the last couple days (lows in the upper 30's highs in the upper 50's) has me thinking snow and cold early rather than sunny and warm top down driving this fall. The sleds are ready to roll so this would be a good thing but I have to admit that if delivery is not until end of October I may have to think hard about picking my reservation up only to turn around and park it for five months.

Sure there are still plenty of rumors about early October delivery, and that would help, but I personally don't put much stock in dealer speculation on factory plans. They normally know about as much as we do and only know for sure when the paperwork arrives. I have had plenty of dealers give me dates in the past that came and went. In fact a new sled I ordered for fall delivery last year did not arrive until a week before Christmas. I was told it would be middle of November at the absolute latest.

Realize there are those that will tinker with their SS all winter long but that's not me. Will be hitting the trails with any free time I have (which is very little anyway). My gut says to just buy it as the cash is sitting in the bank earning next to nothing but my head says to just take my time, wait until spring and see how the deliveries shake out.

JD
Just get some heated clothing ie Vest or jacket and gloves Gerbings makes good stuff It extends my riding season till it snows.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can always wear my sledding gear, which keeps me warm until -40F but in reality once we get any amount of snow here the salt trucks head out and muck-up the roads. I would prefer to keep my SS salt free as with any of my other summer rides. But you do make a good point in that the season can be extended this way I just personally lose interest in my bikes and drop tops by the end of October and this early cold weather here already has me thinking about closing the pool early and winterizing all my summer toys.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Not losing any interest at all. It's getting chilly here... low 40s in the morning. But we can bundle up, and there are going to be some really awesome fall color rides still to be had this year.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My interest hasnt shifted but I certainly know what my local weather is like and purchasing a slingshot this year unless it was well below msrp would be a waste. I plan to purchase around april or may because at this point their is probably less then a weeks worth of good driving time left.

·
Registered
192 Posts
49 degrees this morning. I hope to at least get 500 miles on it before I have to park it.
As a northern purchaser, I think us in the snow belt should get ours first, you southern guys and gals can ride all winter. How about a vote? :) Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I vote for Northerner's first! Besides we are closer to the factory anyway.

49 degrees this morning. I hope to at least get 500 miles on it before I have to park it.
As a northern purchaser, I think us in the snow belt should get ours first, you southern guys and gals can ride all winter. How about a vote? :) Any thoughts?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I vote for Northerner's first! Besides we are closer to the factory anyway.
I've seriously (and selfishly) been thinking this would be a good play on Polaris' part. Quick-ship to the areas that shut down for the winter so they can get some units out on the road yet this year. The later the delivery, the more likely people are going to put off buying until spring.

(...and in case Polaris is reading along, did I mention Yakima is in the heart of the "shut down for the winter" zone?!? :D)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I've seriously (and selfishly) been thinking this would be a good play on Polaris' part. Quick-ship to the areas that shut down for the winter so they can get some units out on the road yet this year. The later the delivery, the more likely people are going to put off buying until spring.

(...and in case Polaris is reading along, did I mention Yakima is in the heart of the "shut down for the winter" zone?!? :D)
Since "up north" only has a few weeks of riding left it would be a waste of a good machine to ship them up there, Polaris should concentrate on filling all southern orders first. We can review them for you northerners so you know what to expect in the Spring.....:D

·
Registered
266 Posts
Since "up north" only has a few weeks of riding left it would be a waste of a good machine to ship them up there, Polaris should concentrate on filling all southern orders first. We can review them for you northerners so you know what to expect in the Spring.....:D
So THAT'S how it's going to be, huh?!?! :blackeye:

·
Registered
438 Posts
I vote for shipping to Florida first. Since we dont have but 3-4 days of winter a year, we can fully test them out, review them, take pictures of them and tell all the northerners just how damn much fun they are to actually drive!!!!
It would increase Polaris's sales because we would be talking them up, increasing demand and the "I want one" mindset all winter long!!!!;):p:D:eek::woot::woot:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm in the old South (Virginia) and I'm still holding off until spring. I figured delivery would be middle to late October and that would only give me a few weeks before the weather turns cold and the roads get crappy. As such, I decided to just wait and purchase in the spring. I figure it gives Polaris a little time to work out the bugs and also's keeps me from burning six months of my two year warranty why it's just sitting in my garage. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Do I hear "Dixie" being played in the background?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hey, all the people in the North who put down orders deserve to get them first, because they went in knowing October would be the delivery date and STILL elected to own one first! That's product dedication.
To keep peace Polaris must ship the first one to NightFlyer then all the rest to the northern dealers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts