Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a manual or more info? At first I did not want the infotainment system because I already have a Sena helmet setup that plays very nicely with my phone. I assumed the infotainment kit would not be play nice with phone and helmet intercom but it looks like I might not have all the details.

From http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/933/18911/Motorcycle-Article/2015-Polaris-Slingshot-First-Ride-Review.aspx:
The upgraded Slingshot also comes with a six-speaker audio system. It has the capacity to tether to a phone via a plug in the glove box and helmet communication systems can be linked through Bluetooth.
I would really appreciate any more info or manuals anybody has. Can the firmware be updated on the infotainment system? As a firmware engineer myself, I know it is really hard to make them bug-free at release time so it is important to me to be able to apply upgrades in the field.

How does the phone tethering work? Is it wired through a headphone jack or wireless through bluetooth? Does tethering mean that it can make and receive calls or does it mean it can play music from the phone or both?

Does it have an aux input for an XM radio?

If the system were good enough, I would shell out $2k

Thanks for looking,
David

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know the exciting news of the day is the ship dates confirmed. But if you have a chance, I would really like to know if the owner's manual has any info about the infotainment system. Specifically I am curious about how the system would interact with bluetooth headsets in helmets. Does the head unit have a microphone for hands free calls or is that just ridiculous in an open cockpit vehicle? Can you route incoming calls to your helmet?
Thanks,
David

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, I got a little busy today.

The manual states on pg. 123 under the "Audio Modes Menus" section, that a number of devices can be enabled with Bluetooth synchronization, including your phone/nav with audio in/out, an mp3 device like an iPod with audio in, or the 'driver headset' (ie: in-helmet earpiece/mic) as audio in/out. Just about anything carrying the Bluetooth logo and branding should work with the infotainment.

On pg. 115 under the "Voice Recognition Mode" section, it states that you just need to press the phone button on the infotainment screen to initiate the voice mode which will access phone numbers and etc. when making a call in or out.
The voice mode also works with compatible Siris on iPhones.

I'm not completely certain if voice mode works with radio or aux audio modes, but if your audio device is Bluetooth enabled or if you are using Pandora, it can build a sort of library or playlist of your music on the infotainment screen which you can navigate from there, without having to reference your device constantly.

Did that answer your questions?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is very helpful. If there is a list of "supported bluetooth profiles" that would be informative and helpful. At a minimum I expect "HFP" (Hands Free Profile), "A2DP" (Advanced Audio distribution profile) and probably others like PBAP. A complete list would shed light on whether or not it can connect to a motorcycle headset for phone calls.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
That is very helpful. If there is a list of "supported bluetooth profiles" that would be informative and helpful. At a minimum I expect "HFP" (Hands Free Profile), "A2DP" (Advanced Audio distribution profile) and probably others like PBAP. A complete list would shed light on whether or not it can connect to a motorcycle headset for phone calls.
You clearly know more about Bluetooth tech than I do. I'll look into that section of the manual again for you tomorrow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a professional nerd :)

Yes please, I think they have to list the supported bluetooth profiles in order to be allowed to use the bluetooth trademarks in their product. Somewhere in there there should be a list with at least A2DP, HFP, and maybe PBAP and maybe others like HSP or AVRCP. What I really care about is "ICP", Intercom Profile. If that is there, that means the infotainment center can be a hub for helmet to helmet communications.

David

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I'm a professional nerd :)

Yes please, I think they have to list the supported bluetooth profiles in order to be allowed to use the bluetooth trademarks in their product. Somewhere in there there should be a list with at least A2DP, HFP, and maybe PBAP and maybe others like HSP or AVRCP. What I really care about is "ICP", Intercom Profile. If that is there, that means the infotainment center can be a hub for helmet to helmet communications.

David
Kip may be able to find that in his owners manual he had last week...maybe.....

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
My apologies, I flipped back and forth through the audio section, and aside from a list of all the radio stations in various countries the SS will connect to, every iDevice the system accepts, and every kind of audio you can plug into the system, the manual doesn't list any Bluetooth profiles.
As far as I can tell PBAP is supported because you can access a phonebook from the screen, but it definitely doesn't list the infotainment has an intermediary for helmet to helmet communications. Which would totally be handy, though I've found conversation in the SS to be surprisingly easy no matter the (legal) speeds so far.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Thank you for your time. Hopefully I can play with real hardware soon.
I'll do you one better. I'll submit a ticket to Polaris to see if they have the answers. Sometimes the information is a bit hard to come by for the SS, but I'll give it a college try.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you again. I'd just like a bit more detail about how the infotainment system works and what it can and cannot do. If you are going to the trouble to ask, here is what is on my mind:

Can I use bluetooth helmet intercom systems like the excellent Sena systems?

Does the infotainment system have a microphone somewhere to be able to make hands free calls? If so, where?

Who is the OEM for this hardware?

Will it be possible to do a firmware update in the field to fix the inevitable bugs of a first run device like this?

I would hope that the infotainment center is a media "hub" that can take multiple audio sources (Aux line in, radio, Bluetooth audio, USB) and control where it is played (helmet or speakers). Then if a phone call comes, whatever current audio source is selected is muted and the phone call is routed to the helmet. Unlikely it works that way but a geek can dream....

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I would hope that the infotainment center is a media "hub" that can take multiple audio sources (Aux line in, radio, Bluetooth audio, USB) and control where it is played (helmet or speakers). Then if a phone call comes, whatever current audio source is selected is muted and the phone call is routed to the helmet. Unlikely it works that way but a geek can dream....
I am 90% sure it does work that way, but I will submit your other questions and see what they say.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does anyone know how easy / difficult the infotainment system would be to install yourself post sale? I'm just curious if the wiring is already there and you are just hooking it up or if there are invasive steps to remove lots of bodywork to install.

If it is a DIY job, I could put off making up my mind on the infotainment system until I've had a chance to play with one.

But if I do it myself, it probably would not be a part of the factory warranty coverage and anything that went wrong they could probably blame on me :(. Decisions decisions....

David

·
Registered
144 Posts
Besides like I said at this price it should come with gps and larger screen. Other wise it looks cheap. Come on polaris you can do a lot better for 2200.00 or lower the price by 800.00 and sell for 1400.00 . My 2cent worth

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hopefully the after market will come out with a better system.
Want larger screen and GPS.

David post more info on the things you were asking about. Sounds like
Alot of us could learn
important things on this
subject.
I find this subject fascinating
As does alot of other members.
I'm sure the after market will come out with something better and less money.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts