Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope everyone is healthy and safe. I currently have my dash apart as I’m adding an Optima yellow top and a new under the seat subwoofer.
Since day one radio reception is almost non-existent even after installing a electrical connection antenna booster. ZILCH!

I figured while I’m open and it’s still cool and rainy in NY, I should look at adding a hidden or other antenna. Any experience, options or product info would be appreciated. I enjoy Apple Music and Spotify which work well however I wouldn’t mind having local FM channels Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
The higher you can place the antenna, the better. I was trying various locations with my TD Canvas Top in place and noticed that as soon as I got the antenna higher than the Top, the reception improved greatly. Regular car/truck antennas use the metal body as a ground plane, but the Slingshot's plastic body doesn't function as a ground plane. Some Corvette owners have reportedly placed aluminum tape inside the fiberglass body panels underneath the antenna mounting point in a radial pattern to try and improve reception. Copper mesh is commonly used under elevated antennas on boat tops (Antenna Ground Plane Reflectors). You might see if mounting the antenna to the roll hoops might improve reception since you would be raising the antenna height and hopefully the Slingshot frame can function as a ground plane. Alternatively, removing the rear deck and placing some copper or aluminum screen underneath with the antenna mounted thru the screen and deck plastic may also allow the frame to act as a ground plane.
Note - I have not tried the ground plane ideas I suggested above, but I do know my antenna received a stronger signl when raised above my TD Canvas Top's tube frame and base the ground plane suggestions on what I've read might help reception.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can also purchase an antenna amplifier which will help. I have experienced similar issues on Goldwings. You will never get a great ground plane on these. Did you talk to your dealer? I know that some models had bulletins for antenna issues.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can also purchase an antenna amplifier which will help. I have experienced similar issues on Goldwings. You will never get a great ground plane on these. Did you talk to your dealer? I know that some models had bulletins for antenna issues.
Hey tech... I installed Electrical Connections signal amplifier with no change. I’m just going to stay with Apple Music and Spotify. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a large thumb drive full of music plugged into my USB port. I prefer not to pair my phone with the 2016.5 head unit. I have tried every configuration I could think of but was never able to reliably run the music from my phone through the head unit to the speakers, while running phone calls to my helmet. In theory it works, but I haven't found it to work very well. So I listen to my thumb drive playlist on the speakers and have my phone paired to my helmet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Like others I spent a lot of time trying to resolve the poor reception problem. The lack of a ground plane is the problem and not one easily solved on the Slingshot.

I also have a USB stick with hundreds of my favorite tunes but still wanted radio.

Sirius has a low cost plan ($6.00) a month. After installing the receiver I played with the antenna a bit as I was getting a fair amount of signal loss.

After some experimenting I found mounting it under the hood on a metal plate provided excellent reception and after comparing it to the setup in my car noted that I experienced the same dead spots for reception.
IMG_1409.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG
Sirius Antenna.JPG

Note that the wavelength of the Sirius signal is such that a large ground plane is not needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts