Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the DMV to renew my tabs and asked them about the Slingshot.They said it is not able to be titled because of seat height(less than 25").Also called (2) in state dealers,they said this info was sent to them on the 23rd of Dec. At least (2) have been sold in the state.Very Disappointed

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
See, that's what happens when you give some freaking hayseed a little power, and exactly why all laws pertaining to driving in this country should be under Federal scrutiny. Let the states manage their systems, but have mandatory consistency from state to state.

Your screwed in the head politicians are ok with importing illegals up there to frack in the oil fields and have all those monster tankers and dumps running all over tearing up the roads and running little kids over, and just generally making life miserable for folks that used to have tranquility, but let's not title a vehicle because the seat is 18 inches above the ground. You ought to go back and point out that they need to revoke the titles to all them evil Subaru WRX's driving around up there with their 22 inch seat heights.

Freaking dummies, sometimes I'm glad I'm old, gets me closer to the dirt nap and getting away from all the damned do gooder liberals working in govt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I agree the oil lines all the politicians pockets and they are far enough away in Bismarck, that they don't have to deal all the bad that has came with it.
The WRX would not be a good arguing point since it is an auto.
But there are production motorcycles with seat heights below 25"
24.5 2013 Arlen Ness Victory Vision
23.8 2015 Harley-Davidson Softail Slim
24.0 2015 Harley-Davidson CVO Softail Deluxe
24.3 2015 Harley-Davidson Fat Boy Lo
24.5 2015 Harley-Davidson Softail Deluxe
24.5 2006 Harley-Davidson Softail Deluxe FLSTN/I
24.7 2015 Harley-Davidson Breakout
24.9 2006 Harley-Davidson Springer Softail FXSTS/I
These figures are laden with 180 lb rider,same as how the state words it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow. I am shocked to hear this. I live in Bismarck, and have had a deposit down with action motor sports since the end of August. I am waiting on my base, like alot of others. Two SLs came in a few weeks ago and were sold to two gentlemen from Minot. I believe that Wheels in Fargo has sold a couple as well. I hadn't heard anything about not being able to license them. I am gonna head to the dealer today and see what's up. Man, I was getting pissed about the late delivery, if this is true about nor being able to license them, I'm gonna be really disappointed. Christ, it's legal to drive Razors on the street in North Dakota, ( other than bismarck city limits) ...

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
The mighty pen strikes again. In Illinois we just opened a new classification called autocycle and it took effect Jan 1st. and basically because of the SS , I had mine registered before it took effect, so I am waiting to see how there going to handle it. I heard the fee will go up and different plates and you wont need a motorcycle license to operate any autocycle. I am sure the insurance companies will probably get together and figure a way to raise the rates too.

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
780 Posts
Appear to me that this is probably more of a political issue on how to tax you more than a concern for safety!

Bureaucrats will always take advantage of a new and different situation to extract $$$$$$ !

Insurance companys are the next ones on the dole too!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I hope to hear from some members that have ND dealers so we can get some solid information. :nailbiting:
Let us know what your dealer says, Fastorange.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, according to the dealer here in Bismarck/Mandan, they heard about it a week or so ago. The owner/manager is on a snowmobile vaca, so I didn't speak to him directly, or see any documentation. According to their employees, they received an email from the DMV stating that the slingshot is not in compliance due to the seat height being higher than 25" for a motorcycle. I looked it up on the DMV a website, and that verbiage is in there. I am not sure what the two guys who bought them from the bismarck dealership and live in Minot ND are going to do. I don't have contact info for those guys, but I assume that is how this all got uncovered. These guys tried to get them licensed and were denied.

There have been four SLs sold out of the fargo dealership, but all to minnesota residents, so no issues for those customers. The employee at the bismarck store thought the email said that if they have any questions, to contact their polaris rep. I am not sure if Polaris and the ND DOT are in direct communications or not.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
According to their employees, they received an email from the DMV stating that the slingshot is not in compliance due to the seat height being higher than 25" for a motorcycle.
Thanks for the update. Are they saying the seat height needs to be higher than 25"?! Because it's only 11" off the ground...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the update. Are they saying the seat height needs to be higher than 25"?! Because it's only 11" off the ground...
That's exactly what it means. The motorcycle law is no motorcycle seat can be less than 25 inches from the top of the seat to the pavement. And since the SS is a "motorcycle" the law applies. I have a plymouth prowler and its low to the ground, and the seat height can't me much higher than the SS, but it's a car so it's OK. This is an example of where licensing the SS as a motorcycle screwed us instead of getting around the more stringent automobile laws. Yet you can legally drive a friggen top heavy tipsy UTV side by side......dumb. Guess I'll be getting that Viper I was gonna get before I disovered the SS.....whatever, I am mentally exhausted by the delays, and polaris games and now the state...... I'm gonna move on....have fun peeps

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I truly feel for those in the states with this malarkey. I just found out from my dealer today about the auto cycle classification here in Illinois. Mine came from Ohio, and the temp plate that came with it expires on the 11th, so I need to go to The Secretary of State to pay the sales tax and get it registered and titled. I'm curious what it'll all mean in the end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fastorange do not give up so easily, some of the best things in life are the one's you have to fight for. Remember we can not comfortably ride the SS for another 3-4 months. Maybe with the help of this forum we can come up with a plan, I know the legislature starts their session next week.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Well if anyone needs Slingshots in January its
North Dakota where its motorcycles weather 12 months out of the year .Ill bet there are 100 of them just sitting around in warehouses and showroom floors .While Florida cant get 2 .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well if anyone needs Slingshots in January its
North Dakota where its motorcycles weather 12 months out of the year .Ill bet there are 100 of them just sitting around in warehouses and showroom floors .While Florida cant get 2 .
It's definitely not motorcycle weather, but it could be slingshot weather. I've been waiting a long time, as you probably have. I feel your pain brother. Polaris definitely screwed the pooch on delivery of the base models, well, the whole delivery process!

As someone else posted, the bloom is off the rose as they say. I was super excited for this vehicle. Now, combine all the things that are happening, and I need (for my own sanity) to let this go. Four months of waiting. Then I hear of the rpm spikes and stalls, the gear whine, the paint issues, etc. etc. etc. Now the state wants to keep me from licensing it. Jesus, how much can a guy take?

Countach, I know you mean well, but maybe you haven't been through the emotional roller coaster since this whole thing started as some of us have. It isn't my fight to get this thing legal in North Dakota. It's Polaris' and the dealers fight. They are the ones making the profit. I'm gonna bow out, wait for the state to figure out what it's gonna do, and maybe, just maybe, the slingshot will have the bugs worked out of it.

I was willing to go out on a limb and deal with the issues of a brand new concept to be the first to experience it, but polaris took about 80% of the joy out of that, and now ND has taken the rest. Countach, if your the first one in Bismarck with one, and I see you out, I'll buy you a beer......

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I went to school for journalism and they preached the second confirming source. Is anyone else here able to check with a different ND dealer or get this DMV letter to make certain of this?

We already had one Florida dealer pretend that something was up with the legalities of the SS in their state, and while I'm not saying this is what's happening in this case, I just like the peace of mind another confirmation can bring.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was willing to go out on a limb and deal with the issues of a brand new concept to be the first to experience it, but polaris took about 80% of the joy out of that, and now ND has taken the rest. Countach, if your the first one in Bismarck with one, and I see you out, I'll buy you a beer......
Well Fast, Polaris is a strange company that has different operating procedures,, kinda of a roller coaster type of a culture.. Back when they first came out with the Victory Motorcycles a friend of mine had been a Polaris dealer for many years and decided to take on the Victory.. Those bikes were terrible with lots of new product issues that Polaris initially turned their backs on.. 3 or 4 seasons of some really really bad tranny problems (and other new release issues), customers screaming bloody murder cause they wanted their bikes fixed, Polaris denieing claims right and left, the bikes stopped selling and my buddy, caught in middle, finally tossed Polaris out on their nose - he got fed up with them..
Couple years later my neighbor, who had purchased a 325 Trail Boss ATV from his dealership, lost the engine in her quad and didnt know where to take it for repair... I volunteered to help her fix it..
Started working on it and noticed right away that the front end of her quad was spindly compared to the Yam or Honda she could have purchased (for more money).. Half jokingly, I told her I was gonna call Polaris and give em the business.. She handed me her phone, original paperwork and said go ahead, got nothing to loose..
I called Polaris, talked to some guy on thier tech line and told him how little the quad had been used, how fragile it was, that the motor was gone and we would never buy another Polaris product.. The guy moaned,, asked for the VIN number,, said he noticed there was some kind of a "loose oil line recall" (dead serious - this really happened) and offered to send us a BRAND NEW engine for her quad!!!!!!!!! Ended up taking her broken quad into another dealer, Polaris sent them the new motor and they installed it for the cost of an oil change!! I could NOT believe it - NOW THAT IS SERVICE!!!
Next came the new Indian's.. I watched the motors unveiled at Daytona and was out at Sturgis for the unveiling - GORGEOUS bikes!! Was shocked to hear that somewhere between the two events the bike prices went up (about 2 grand) to exactly what a new comparable Harley costs!!!.. There were some people standing near the bandstand in front of us who screamed out loud "after what Polaris did to us with the Victories, you should have left the prices down to make up for it (some customers dont forget)!!"
In the end, I guess it all boils down to whether or not they are selling something that is worth the roller coaster ride that we all are on with this new product.. Only YOU can decide whats best for YOU to do with YOUR $$$'S.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I called Joes Sport Center in Devils Lake. He confirmed that ND will not let you register the Slingshot. Hopefully this will all be taken care of by spring. Winter is in full force so not to concerned "yet".

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Your mileage may vary, Woodsy. Our dealership has been selling Victories since they were unveiled and the brand has treated us, and our customers very, very well, especially since it has some of the highest customer satisfaction ratings of any MC brand and has made some dents in the Harley market even.

But I'm glad to hear about the superb service on that Trail Boss. Polaris is a very valuable, very wealthy company that has grown leaps and bounds in the past decade or more. I hope the SS is a serious product they intend to take on a global stage someday.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts