Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when Harley came out with the 6 speed Dyna in 06 there was serious problems with the rotor stripping and causing damage---when my wife bought her Street Bob I immediatley replaced the Trans gear oil with 75/135? Synthetic gear oil never had a problem nor any odd noises. I used Wolf's Head products in all the hole, trans, and engine never a problem

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rotor?

What's the relevance to the angle drive?
The Harley rotor is gear driven in "Harley " synthetic motor oil and it made a slight whine, the Synthetic Gear Oil cleared up the noise and as I posted we never had any rotor problems the problem was so bad some riders considered a class action as Harley would not warranty the repair. Good lubrication with a solid foundation is the key to mechanical life.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Still don't know what you're referring to; a rotor is a brake disc.

Do you mean gear or pulley? Where is it and what are the neighboring parts?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry gentlemen I have a bad habit of assuming things in the Harley motor the rotor is a component of the ignition system and it is gear driven in a bath of oil the starting process put inordinate stress on the rotor due in part to the use of motor oil I changed our lub to synthetic gear oil with a high shear value something motor oil does not have and did not have the problems other harley owners had.

My commets where based on the use of proper lubrication for the situation i.e. hi shear value synthetic gear lube

sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sorry gentlemen I have a bad habit of assuming things in the Harley motor the rotor is a component of the ignition system and it is gear driven in a bath of oil the starting process put inordinate stress on the rotor due in part to the use of motor oil I changed our lub to synthetic gear oil with a high shear value something motor oil does not have and did not have the problems other harley owners had.

My commets where based on the use of proper lubrication for the situation i.e. hi shear value synthetic gear lube.WHAT??????

sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
686 Posts
OK so you're saying to use different oil in the bevel drive, right?

What do you mean by "high shear" (sounds like marketing-speak) - high viscosity?

·
2,333 Posts
Depending on the angle drives design, type of gears, their cut, and operational speed, the lubricant requirements vary greatly. Using the correct type and weight of oil is important. Just simply stating that one should try a heavier weight of some X brand oil without knowing the design requirements is ill advised.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Depending on the angle drives design, type of gears, their cut, and operational speed, the lubricant requirements vary greatly. Using the correct type and weight of oil is important. Just simply stating that one should try a heavier weight of some X brand oil without knowing the design requirements is ill advised.
True, but somebody already posted in a thread about noise and the angle drive that he expected the noise to lessen once he switched to a synthetic lube. I don't remember what vehicle he was basing his experience on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am having the same noise since new and the dealer had no clue,I am going to use Amsoil 75x140 gear oil this week and try it before I go to Maggie Valley,3500miles. Polaris had no clue. .How much oil does it take?Paul

·
Registered
159 Posts
What do you mean by "high shear" (sounds like marketing-speak) - high viscosity?
The shear happens from the meshing of the gears which in turn can break down viscosity over time and cause wear on your gears.

Ok On a side note has anyone tried a break in gear oil in there slingshots
just wondering break in gear oil have mico polishers in the to polish the gears.
I can't try it because I'm still waiting for mine :(
http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/break-in-gear-oil-15800html/

·
Registered
619 Posts
Changed mine at 7200 miles , nasty looking fluid came out . Had almost a 1/4 inch of gook on the drain plug magnet . But mine after around 5000 miles toned way down in sound ,now with the new fluid still about the same I would guess / I'm happy with it .

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I changed mine out at 500 miles with Amsoil 75w140. Yes it did quieten it down a fair bit. The "black gook" is a molybdenum additive they add at the factory to aid break in and decreases shear wear. When filling, ensure you take your time, the edge of the bevel gear is close to the fill port and can fool you into thinking it's full because the oil backs up on it. Measure how much you replace. I use a typical marine (leg oil) plunger type pump that you can put into your oil bottle and has a 12" hose that you can direct into the fill port easily with little mess.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I changed the oil at 350 and 600 miles using a clear synthetic and the oil came out dark both times. I plan to keep changing it every 200 miles until it's clear.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts