Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace my angle drive with the new part number that replaces mine on my 2016 SS. The whine is driving me nuts.

has anyone ever done this and made a video of the process? if so, could you post a link for me (and others). I've looked everywhere and i can't seem to find one, but i thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
How many miles are on your SlingShot? The more miles you put on it the quieter the angle drive becomes, where with our 2015 at 20,000 plus miles the angle drive is barely discernible. On the other hand, are you absolutely certain that the whine that is irritating you is the angle drive and not the drive belt? It is not uncommon for folks to blame the angle drive when it is the drive belt needing a lil attention.

Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi wjfyfe! Well, i just bought this 2016. I am the second owner. The machine is in impeccable shape. You can tell the original owner took really good care of it. He said the whine was there from the beginning and from my research, i know that the whine is a common problem. However, i have rented several later model SS's over the last few years, and i know that they didn't whine like mine does.

I seem to have the OPPOSITE problem that most people have here. The whine is almost non-existent on acceleration. The whine is really loud on DEceleration or just coasting in gear. It's almost as if the ring and pinion are either too loose or too tight or not mating right. I know what the belt sound is like. I don't think it's the belt, but i'm not 100 percent sure.

It has 8050 miles on it. i replaced the drive oil with Redline Heavy Shockproof over the weekend, but i haven't put many miles on it yet to tell if there is a difference.

With winter coming, I thought it would be a good winter project to replace, but I certainly don't want to throw money at it if their is another solution. Other than the oil, i don't know what else to do.

Dave

·
Registered
365 Posts
Try chaining the drive angle gear oil first. A <$10 bottle may save you a bunch of hassle first, especially if it's not been changed already. I changed mine at 1500 miles (saw a LOT of metal), 5000 miles (very little metal), and 10K Miles (no metal at all). The gears are only roughly machined when installed as Polaris lets the "final machining" happen through the gears running against each other.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I replaced my angle drive lube with Redline Heavy Shockproof and felt it made a difference in the amount of noise. I'm now getting ready to change the lube again and will once again use the Redline Heavy Shockproof.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Polaris knows they have a problem with the angle drive on the early sling shots. I understand that you are the second owner. Before you jump into trying to replace the angle drive by yourself check with your local dealer. We bought a 2016 used with low mileage and our angle drive was leaking. We took it in to the local dealer and the warranty guy got Polaris to replace our angle drive for free. We did have to pay half the cost of the installation which ran around $600.00. but that's a whole hell of a lot better than $1700.00 the cost of the angle drive. Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts