Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed many times before. We just bought our SS last Saturday and just love it. My only concern is the gear whine and growl from the angle drive. I am a retired Ford/Lincoln heavy line tech and have rebuilt enough rear ends to know that this noise is not normal if it was set up right. When I asked the service manger at the dealer about it he said it should get a little better but will still make noise. I really think Polaris needs to address this problem. Maybe thats why they want us to wear full face helmets so we won't hear how loud the gear noise is. Will see how it is after we get more miles on it.
JD

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi JD,

The angle drive noise will certainly get better as you put more miles on your SS. It was around 3k for me that I started to notice that the noise wasn't as bad. It is still noticeable, especially in lower RPMs in lower gears, but it does get a bit better. You are not alone in wishing Polaris would address this...

Have fun!

Garrick

·
Registered
331 Posts
Has anyone seen a post were a gear case expert pulled one of these apart and tried shimming it properly if that's what it takes. I know we have some talented people on the forum?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the gear case out for the third time today , I am not a gear case expert by any definition , but can do research and I am making some progress. I do not expect it to be perfectly quite bolted directly to frame , but I would not expect to have to wear hearing protection just enjoy driving the thing . If my last attempt does not give satisfaction I will turn it over to a gear pro .

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would consider mine to not be too bad and it did get a little quieter after the oil change. Speaking of which when you changed the lube were you able to get the complete 700ml of fluid back in to it. Mine would not take quite that much.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Although a lot of people may not like the noise, to me it's music to my ears...
The slingshot sings many songs moving through the world -- engine rumble, exhaust counterpoint, tire hum, transmission growl. Lacking the insulation of a cage, this undamped open-air symphony surrounds you: you're in the orchestra pit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did a complete service on the SS this weekend oil and filter change to Mobil 1 5w30w changed the angle drive oil had a lot of crap on the magnet. Refilled with 75-140 Royal Purple. We put over 100 miles on it Monday the noise seams to be the same. The noise is at least bearable on ours. We can still listen to the radio and the noise is not that bad at 45 and up.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have the gear case out for the third time today , I am not a gear case expert by any definition , but can do research and I am making some progress. I do not expect it to be perfectly quite bolted directly to frame , but I would not expect to have to wear hearing protection just enjoy driving the thing . If my last attempt does not give satisfaction I will turn it over to a gear pro .
Are you shimming the ring away from the pinion, or working on pinion depth? I'm a retired auto/motorcycle tech and that will be my plan this winter when it's put up, as my noise hasn't really diminished any over time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm developing a ringing in my right ear, since I have started wearing a half helmet. Looks like hearing protection for me from here on out…

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry for the delay @andymo but I have been away to the rally and just got home . When I took the gear box apart the first time the wear pattern on the pinion was completely off the toe end of pinion and there was at least 5/16 inch of the original grind marks on the heel end that had never been touched. I started with shimming the pinion into the ring gear by .012 inch but took almost all of the backlash out . I am now shimming the ring gear away from pinion by .005 inch each time and the noise level seems to be improving each time . I am not wearing hearing protection when I drive now and my wife and I can at least talk but I still think there is room for improvement .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts