Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
161 - 180 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
The noise is from the angle drive on mine and it is not a straight cut gear set I think it is that they did not have the gear set cut for quite or they do not set it up correctly when it is built. It seems to not be as loud at cruse and you are sitting on top of it, but it makes noise when coasting and the sound is not changed by shifting gears.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Well I decided to change my angle drive oil for Purple 140, and it technically make my whining sound 95% disappear. I can still hear the belt on accel and decal, but that super high pitch whine I was hearing non-stop is practically gone. Now I have just driven 40 miles since changing the oil, have to see if it holds up.

BTW, I did have think sludge on my bolt, def felt gritty to the touch vs normal new oil.

Anyways, we will see what happens from here on about warranty, IF it's ever needed. Maybe by that time we will have better options from 3rd parties for a heavy duty angle drive...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Well I decided to change my angle drive oil for Purple 140, and it technically make my whining sound 95% disappear. I can still hear the belt on accel and decal, but that super high pitch whine I was hearing non-stop is practically gone. Now I have just driven 40 miles since changing the oil, have to see if it holds up.

BTW, I did have think sludge on my bolt, def felt gritty to the touch vs normal new oil.

Anyways, we will see what happens from here on about warranty, IF it's ever needed. Maybe by that time we will have better options from 3rd parties for a heavy duty angle drive...
In the 'Old Days' they would put oatmeal in a noisy transmission or rearend. Worked long enough to get the customer home :)

But you've sold me on the Purple 140, I'll try it. A little whine would be OK but mine is a bit much.

·
Registered
76 Posts
How much lube does it take I'll try anything right about now!

Mine is so loud I have to be honest it's the worst part about owning the slingshot I hope someone finds a fix soon or Polaris steps up with a recall.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Actually, grandpa said it was saw dust they used~! Took longer to degrade.
Yeah, That'll work too :)

@FBOM came by today and we installed my stock blade on his LE. I took it for a short drive and was amazed at the difference. My SL is at least 3 times louder than his. Doug changed his angle drive lube to R. Purp. recently and he said it rapidly got better. If you recall, his was so loud he thought it was going to fail on the way home from dealer.

Going after RP lube tomorrow in hopes of duplicating his results. If that don't work, I'm ready to try saw dust :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yeah, That'll work too :)

@FBOM came by today and we installed my stock blade on his LE. I took it for a short drive and was amazed at the difference. My SL is at least 3 times louder than his. Doug changed his angle drive lube to R. Purp. recently and he said it rapidly got better. If you recall, his was so loud he thought it was going to fail on the way home from dealer.

Going after RP lube tomorrow in hopes of duplicating his results. If that don't work, I'm ready to try saw dust :)
Qatmeal tast better !!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Don't ever go looking for Otter - he lives so far back in the woods - Its like looking for Dr Livingston I spent almost 3 hours roaming thoes paved roads, his roads aren't paved and hes miles away from anything - I think Big Foot lives next door.

Doug

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Don't ever go looking for Otter - he lives so far back in the woods - Its like looking for Dr Livingston I spent almost 3 hours roaming thoes paved roads, his roads aren't paved and hes miles away from anything - I think Big Foot lives next door.

Doug
No Big Foot, but I do have neighbors who wear tin foil hats.

If Doug ever buys anything from you, watch him carefully. He tends to over pay.

Think I forgot to thank him for lunch too. We tend to lose our social graces out here in the sticks. :)

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
No Big Foot, but I do have neighbors who wear tin foil hats.

If Doug ever buys anything from you, watch him carefully. He tends to over pay.

Think I forgot to thank him for lunch too. We tend to lose out social graces out here in the sticks. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I did not over pay - the Item in question was worth more than I did pay for it and lunch was my treat for the experience I had trying to find you.

Doug

Reactions: Otter
161 - 180 of 209 Posts