Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
201 - 209 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
12,000 on my SLingshot and NO COMPLAINTS about the drivelline. Live with it. My only concern is the handling. I was planning a trip to Kansas City this summer, over 800 miles one way so I could take my daughter for a ride. My original rear tire had tread, but was borderline. I would normally have kept it on for another two to three thousand but since I was going on the trip, I bought a new tire.

As soon as I had the new tire on, same day, the handling went KAPLOOEY! Going down the interstate the sling was all over the road, did not want to steer steadily in a straight line, felt like it was running in mush.

Took it to the dealer. Some kind of module out, so I ended up riding to KC on my Victory Octane instead, which is a really nice bike but I wanted to show my daughter the Sling, know what I mean?

Also, I had purchased a tire before I really needed to, so I lost about two to three thousand miles of wear.

So now the Slingshot is fixed, but it just doesn't feel the same. Not quite as stable going down the road and around bends. I can't put my finger on it, but there is something....

·
Registered
760 Posts
Could be tread squirm, the old Tire was low on tread so it felt solid, the new Tire has more tread so it will feel loose. Take it out and do some hard riding a few times and might settle down. A few heat cycles does wonders for tires.

LC

·
Registered
989 Posts
Well, the swing arm is replaced and the belt was set to specs according to the dealer. The sound is louder than ever now! I can't stand to drive the SS over 40. I tried a test at 70, I pushed the clutch in to see if it was tranny whine but no change. What I did learn is the whine is even louder during de-excelleration now and levels out again when power is applied.

I have changed to royal purple, cleaned the belt and set up the clearances and tension but no change. I put a rear window, roof and saddle bags and the sound is just as loud. Unless my dealer comes up with something like pulling drive apart to shim to spec I will have to sell it.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Well, the swing arm is replaced and the belt was set to specs according to the dealer. The sound is louder than ever now! I can't stand to drive the SS over 40. I tried a test at 70, I pushed the clutch in to see if it was tranny whine but no change. What I did learn is the whine is even louder during de-excelleration now and levels out again when power is applied.
From the repair manual:

8. If the drive belt is too far inboard, the belt will make
noise during deceleration. If drive belt is too far
outboard, the belt will make noise during acceleration
or while under load.

To recap, I do not believe that our whine has been as loud as others have been experiencing. Even so, we did change the angle drive and transmission to Royal Purple, but that made little to no difference in whine pitch. With that, for the past couple of months or so I have been playing with adjusting the drive belt, a little adjustment, drive it for a week or two, a little adjustment, drive it for a week or two.................... Now, I admit that this may be particular to only our SlingShot each unit sometimes have their own unique quirks, but what I have found that makes the most noticeable difference in the sound is in the alignment adjustment of the belt, where as little as 1/8th of a turn on the adjusting nut of the pivot shaft can make the difference between having a comfortable tone or the liking of finger nails on the black board.

Belt tension I have been leaving at 0.70 inches.

Anyways, for what ever that is worth.............................

Bill

·
Registered
989 Posts
Mine has settle down a bit, and is only really loud on deceleration. I doubt there will ever be a true fix until the engineers get more involved. If a vender can sell a better unit they will be in the money, lol.

Reactions: TR Ganey

·
Registered
1 Posts
THIS L DRIVE IS BASICALLY IS LIKE REAR WHEEL DRIVE AUTO THE RING GEAR AND PINION HAS TO BE SET WITH THE CORRECT AMOUNT OF BACK LASH TO WORK RIGHT. IF THAY ARE NOT CORRECTLY THE GEARS WILL NOT SEAT CORRECTLY AND WILL BE VERY LOUD

201 - 209 of 209 Posts