Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
181 - 200 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
For me it helped a bit, but noise came back after 300 or so miles.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have around 4000 mile on mine and I tried the RP oil as others have but I think the whine is worse, I wonder if some of that sludge that was on the drain plug was moly or other type of heavy duty lube. I am going to add some moly lube I have and give it a try. Has any one tried to use any of the sound deadening material that is sold on EBAY or from EastWood. It is made with a rubber material on one side and foil on the other. It is sold to people who have the boom box type radios that vibrate their cars

·
I have moved on!
2,899 Posts
I picked up my SS Yesterday and have put about 350 miles on it. The noise coming out of the drive has an eerie resemblance to my ex-wife's voice. Gives me chills. Like with others i have a big bad growl in 1rst and 2nd then it is just a nasty whine. I expect to do my 500 mile service this week I have everything recommended for the engine oil. Guess I should change gear oil in the drive - sounds like everyone agrees on RP 75/140 - is there anything else needed? Like crush washers on the plugs? Are there any recommended additives like Lucas? You guys are great would be lost with out the help.

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
786 Posts
Has anyone tried a Moly additive like they use in some of the big trucks and industrial drives? Just wondering?

This thing is just an angle drive and a little Moly might do the trick!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Anyones noise come back about 1k miles and it seems the Royal Purple was a temp fix thing is loud and annoying gonna do some sound deadner I just wonder how long this can work without breaking with a sound like this. I know a lot of people have a lot of miles on em but I just wonder.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
well actually for just a few and others have said no change at all.
You all can add us to that list..............wth 8,000 miles on our SSSL now, and neglecting to change the transmission or angle drive fluids yet, I went to the auto parts store to purchase Mobil 1in which they did not have in stock, but there was the Purple stuff.......................aw, what the hey, I'll give it a try??

Short ride afterwards and absolutely no difference in the angle drive whine but the fluid is now clean and sure is purty!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bill

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
786 Posts
I have posted at other places on the forum that I switched to Redline Shockproof gear oil and it made it a lot quieter! It also gets quieter with miles, I'm at 10,000 and I find it acceptable! The belt makes more noise than the angle drive except at about 18-22 mph!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
For what its worth.. I have a small leak in my pinion seal and they cant get me in to dealer until the 18th. I dont have this so called roaring noise from the angle drive that everyone is complaining about. So yesterday at 650 miles I changed my fluid out to Mobil 1 75w-140. It was all fine and dandy then today I got a little happy and did a burn out. I immediately notice after the burnout the angle drive is now noisy and roars like everyone is complaining about.

·
Registered
237 Posts
the construction and cause of the problems with the noise in the angle drive. The way that Polaris built the rear and what lilb93 discovered when rebuilding the rear. I learned a lot. Just wanted to share. Sorry if you did not find it informative. I guess I should have rephrased.

·
Registered
188 Posts
So far my Slingshot has not been out of service for one day in the 16 months I have owned it. It probably helps that I am keeping the miles down on the sling since I also ride two wheelers and have a modified Miata.

Of the three? I currently rate the two wheel Victory Octane I have as the most fun, except for when I am doing some really hard cornering such as I was doing at the Miatas on the Gap rally this past weekend. Get a Miata that is well set up on some of those N. Carolina roads and have a ball. Like I have said about the Slingshot, no problems except for a couple of lights that keep coming on on the dash, such as the brake fail light when the brakes are not failing, and the traction control light staying on when the traction control is not turned off. At least I THINK traction control is not turned off since I did not manually select it.

That rear tire? Still has a fair amount of tread left at almost 12,000 even though I have spun it at least once or twice every time I take the vehicle out. Hard rubber, that. I have to wonder, you guys who are having some trouble with the rear drive..how many of you have changed to a stickier tire? That might be some of your problem. I would like to have more traction 0-60 but I have this old concept in my head that when a wheel is free to break loose, that there is less strain on the driveline.

But I have corresponded with Hahn Turbo, and he claims that there is more stress on the driveline if a wheel spins because when it regains traction, there is a lot of stress at that time too. There is definitely something to that theory.

I had and still have a 71 Mazda R100 (rotary sedan) and with 210 HP and only 1900 lbs it runs like a scalded rabbit. But my former mechanic in Colorado told me that since the rear axle on the little R100 is not all that strong, that I could not weld it LOCKED like I had done on a later model RX2. He said the axles were not as strong on the earlier R100 and might break. So I always let the right rear wheel spin, which did not kill my acceleration actually since the rotary engine runs stronger when permitted to rev. I never broke a R100 axle no matter how hard I autocrossed, drag raced and road raced, so I guess my mechanic was right.

I know I am being long-winded, but the thing is, almost 12K and 16 months and I still can't decide whether to go with a stickier rear tire or not. on my SL.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I do not have the whinning noise, I have roar, the sound is so loud at 70 I cannot stand it. At 25-30 in third gear it is not all that bad but as I go faster the sound gets louder. I am planning to mover the belt away from the side of the pully this weekend as it has slowly drifted from a 1/16th inch of clearance to rubbing on the flange.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I am going in to have my swing arm replaced in two weeks and they are aware of my problem so keep my fingers crossed.

181 - 200 of 209 Posts