Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed my Angle drive to Royal purple at 1000 miles and it made some improvement in the angle drive noise.

At 6000 miles mine is not too noisy, but I recently changed it again to Redline shockproof gear oil 75-250 and it has made a lot of difference. Not totally silent but noticeably quieter. The royal purple was a little darker and the magnet had a little residue, but it was reasonably clean.

I think the angle drive noise is a combo of engineering design, wear-in and proper fluid.

At 6000 miles I think mine is worn in and the Shockproof fluid is a possible solution to the excessive noise issue!

Red Line 58204 Synthetic Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil- 1 Quart

·
Registered
829 Posts
what kind of "noise" is it exactly?

ive been hearing faint metallic whine (not the belt whine) at around 1500-2000 rpm... dont know if thats from teh angle drive

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a number of long threads regarding the whine from the angle drive.
Mine has not been very bad, but other have complained! A LOT!

Mine was a whine at low speed between 20-30 MPH and under hard acceleration!

Some said theirs was unbearable and others did not feel it was too bad, I felt it was a charartistic of the Slingshot, the angle drive and belt drive!

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Seems like a lot of the married guys get their worst whining from the passenger seat area...
:rolleyes::eek::blackeye:

J/K ladies!!!

The new whine-reduction technology from Unified Performance! It's called the UPshut...
image.jpeg

And yes, they make a model to keep the ladies happy!
image.jpeg

And their latest model made specifically for @SlingbladeSL ...
image.jpeg

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
What effect does running the heavier oil have? Is it a good idea to deviate that much from OEM suggested oil? Will low temps make it not load properly

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
The basic 75W should be the same as the OEM fluid when cold, but I would be concerned about how thick that stuff acts when warmed up. Let us know how well that stuff holds up.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
the Redline 75-250 seems noticabley quieter!

Just rode it 100 miles to Athens this week and it was much quieter, most of the noise is the quieter belt whine / wherr and not much angle drive whine!

Think this may do the trick! Best it has sounded so far but mine was not real noisy anyway!

Well worth the effort!

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
What effect does running the heavier oil have? Is it a good idea to deviate that much from OEM suggested oil? Will low temps make it not load properly
Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is just an angle gear drive unit, nothing very complex, no clutches, spider gears or such, so I think even regular grease with moly would probably work. But grease would be stiff when cold and might not lube the bearings properly.

The shockproof 75-250 should provide lube for the bearings as well as high temp protection for the gears.

I think that the factory fluid may have had some moly additive in it! Possibly from assembly using moly grease on the bearing surfaces. It was dark and had a shiny look (like some moly) to it when I originally changed it!

·
Registered
130 Posts
what kind of "noise" is it exactly?

ive been hearing faint metallic whine (not the belt whine) at around 1500-2000 rpm... dont know if thats from teh angle drive
Me too - haven't pinned down an RPM though but to a ground speed. Between 35 and 40, in either second or third and not under heavy acceleration, I've started to get the weirdest "grinding sound" from just behind and between the seats.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Me too - haven't pinned down an RPM though but to a ground speed. Between 35 and 40, in either second or third and not under heavy acceleration, I've started to get the weirdest "grinding sound" from just behind and between the seats.
Have you lubed your u-joint? That's the exact location you're describing...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Mine has gotten significantly quieter over the past 5000 miles. It was super loud at first. The Cycle Springs Gen II mats helped a lot. I also put some stereo (black) dynomat behind the seats below the storage doors. Between all those I don't even notice it anymore.

·
Just say "NO" to PIMPS!
1,777 Posts
From what I hear the use of power washers on the rear has made the problem worse than it really is. The needle bearing grease had been forced out and they were dry, it is not sealed. I will be buying the Bullet Speed rear drive when it comes to market.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BKL and others,

I have been pleased with the Redline Shockproof 75-250 gear oil!
Much quieter, only noticable noise around 18MPH otherwise pretty darn good! I think I will just run it this way till about 20K miles and change it again then!

I am at 6000miles now!

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
After I put around 1000 miles on mine I switched her to 75/140 Royal Purple and never looked back. She has 12,880 miles on her now and has been super quiet. They are supposed to make some whining noise till they "wear in". I personally think that the harder you are on them the faster they get quiet. I figure someone who takes it easy and never stresses the final drive may be in for a long noisy break in period.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
1 - 20 of 40 Posts