Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my coolant surge tank is now leaking....exactly one day before I go on a huge planned ride, when I get off work I'm going to remove the bottle and pressure check it to find the leak, I've seen people use a epoxy to patch this problem, my question is what kind of epoxy did you guys use? How long did it last?

Failures to date

Brake failure
Steering failure
Axle bearing failures multiple times
Ball joint failures multiple times
Right angle seals
Drive belt is yelling at me...in process of fighting with polaris
2 different programming glitches
And a partridge in a pear tree. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
So my coolant surge tank is now leaking....exactly one day before I go on a huge planned ride, when I get off work I'm going to remove the bottle and pressure check it to find the leak, I've seen people use a epoxy to patch this problem, my question is what kind of epoxy did you guys use? How long did it last?

Failures to date

Brake failure
Steering failure
Right angle seals

Ya know, this really continues to make us wonder why some folks continue to have multiple issues with their SlingShot while others are enjoying theirs with nary a complaint, is there a common theme? :confused:

Bill and Justina

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've thought about laying some fiberglass resin over the whole bottle.

·
Registered
213 Posts

Failures to date

Brake failure
Steering failure
Right angle seals

Mine started leaking at 1200 miles, I used a little JB Weld for plastics, cures it for a few days and then starts leaking again, leaks down into passenger side floor board. The dealer here in Vegas should have the new one for me in the next few days. Mine is leaking at the top of the smaller hose, small crack best I can tell. I tried to get the dealer to just give me the canister but they said they have to install, Warranty issue. So once I get it back I plan to modify it a little with some sort of elbow to take any pulling type pressure off the canister.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Does anybody know what the plastic marking is on the tank? I've used this Loctite Heavy Duty 2 part Epoxy (you can get it at Home Depot) and it's worked really well, but it won't work on polyethelene (PE) or Polypropylene (PP).

I checked my tank and can't see the markings so they must be on the bottom or back.

If you take your tank off and it's not marked PE or PP, try this. Its good stuff.

Edit: Oh yeah, if you use it try to scuff up the area as best you can. That helps the adhesion properties even more.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Do you have a Fluke? If not I can tape my Fluke temp probe to my tank the next time I go on a ride that is more than 10 miles and see what it hits. Maybe the tank doesn't see 180F but I'd bet it does since the fans kick on at 225F.

There are epoxies out there that go way high temp-wise, but we need to figure out the plastic code on the tank. Do you have the tank off?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not yet that will happen after work. As far as a fluke yip I have one but I'll prolly use Matco temp gun.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But if you could get me a temp that would be great! I left it at home so it would be nice and cool when I start to work on her

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
I'mma guess that JB Weld PlasticWeld will work given the heat the tank will see under continuous use. It is not 225°F, if it were you'd burn your hand putting it anywhere near the engine (air has a low specific heat capacity, so a lot of air is needed to evacuate the heat from the engine coolant). You probably have to create a V bevel in the cracked area and then fill it, a surface application (butt-weld) isn't as strong.

50132-PlasticWeld-Syringe_medium[1].jpg

Loctite is good beyond 120°F, check the application chart.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
But if you could get me a temp that would be great! I left it at home so it would be nice and cool when I start to work on her

Just got back from my lunch ride. 15 miles.

I got 157.9F for a high temp. Hottest spot was right under the halve seam. It's a little cooler here today but was in some traffic. Fans did not kick on.

It wouldn't surprise me to see 170F+ under the right conditions.

Were it me, I would be looking for something a little more robust more in the vein of this range:

http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/img/7050.jpg

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well my dealer just informed me that if i modify it in anyway they wont cover it. No biggie I guess, I got to drive it last weekend.....seems like for everyone week I ride it, it's broke down for 2. I've owned suzuki, Hondas and kawi and never had this many problems, but again my dealer has worked with me time and time again so I can't hold any grudges.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK so I just pressured it up, it's leaking around the seam where the 2 half are jointed together. My next question...... what did polaris pull this tank off of? I know I've seen one before but for the life of me I can't remember what it was on.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Well my dealer just informed me that if i modify it in anyway they wont cover it. No biggie I guess, I got to drive it last weekend.....seems like for everyone week I ride it, it's broke down for 2. I've owned suzuki, Hondas and kawi and never had this many problems, but again my dealer has worked with me time and time again so I can't hold any grudges.

That is complete and utter bullshit. Your dealer sucks worse than mine.

I'm on the road.
My coolant tank starts leaking.
I am sticking everything on it including hot tar from the side of the road to get back to civilization.

What I would have said is "I am bringing it in now. I have a trip planned. You have a new tank in stock?".

I am so sick of shitty dealers and apathy from Polaris on this type of crap.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My dealer has bent over backwards for me, it's not they're fault...... If they would of had one in stock they would of fixed it today. I'm really considering about contacting a lawyer about polaris releasing so many flawed slingshots. I love my dealer and I have been dealing with them for 15 years now, and since I've been a dealer tech 90% of my life I understand the political bs that comes with it they have rules and regulations they have to abide by.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts