Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been a Spyder owner for years, I noted that the Slingshot uses pretty much the same tires and belt.

1. The belt drive on the Spyder is NOT rock road friendly! That big rear meat tosses rocks into the belt, and that's at least a $400 repair!!!! Pay close attention to the provided belt protection (I have yet to actually see a Slingshot).

2. The tires on Spyders rarely last more than 5 to 8,000 miles. There are several car tires that have been used successfully on Spyders, and should work on the Slingshot as well.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Good info. The Slingshot uses car tires all the way around so there is no need to search the internet for tires that will work.

Thanks for the tip about the belt too - perhaps a rock guard will be a future mod?

Did you experience any belt slippage under hard acceleration with the Spyder?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good info. The Slingshot uses car tires all the way around so there is no need to search the internet for tires that will work.
Are they? I thought they were proprietary tires from Kenda. They do say Slingshot on the side. *shrug*

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
You can buy the Kenda Slingshot tires from the dealer or you can get with a tire retailer like Discount Tire and order stickier tires for racing, performance driving, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am an avid spyder owner as I am on my 4th one since 2007. Very interested in adding the Slingshot to my garage. One thing I am not impressed in is Kenda tires as they really suck! I only got 5000 miles out of my rear on my 2014 Spyder and some guys haven't even been able to get that much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tire pressure is EVERYTHING! Keep the rear at 30, and they will last for 10K... The Spyder's belt has cogs, and doesn't slip - belt tension is also critical for the longevity of the rear wheel bearings....

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
I am an avid spyder owner as I am on my 4th one since 2007. Very interested in adding the Slingshot to my garage. One thing I am not impressed in is Kenda tires as they really suck! I only got 5000 miles out of my rear on my 2014 Spyder and some guys haven't even been able to get that much.
Glad to have you on the site! If you get a Slingshot you will have to give us a good comparison review between the two.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While I avoid riding in the rain like the plague, it's occasionally unavoidable. The Spyder tossed HUGE amounts of [email protected]#p up the backside of the bike, but the passenger(s) were protected by the tupperware - 'twas just a mess to clean, when you got home. I will be curious to see what happens with the Slingshot...

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
The Slingshot does have cruise control on both models. Or at least it did when I drove them. I didn't see it mentioned on the press release, but I definitely used it cruising down the highway :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts