Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I am going to install the hoop speaker pods this evening. Can someone tell me how you ran the wires from the amp to the hoop pod speakers? I am trying to figure out how to run the wiring without taking the whole thing apart. I watched slingmods video and they show sticking the wire in one of the holes but not sure what I need to do to get a hold of it from the bottom.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You can run them under the roll hoops down to the transmission tunnel, then into the under seat area (presuming you're putting Amp under seat). Take off the roll hoop covers. There are a couple screws along the front of the rear deck, including 1 under where the power plug is. If you take those out, you can get your hands in and drop the wires right down and then bring them up along the transmission tunnel. Under the seat mounts is a hole the includes the seat belt detector wire - I used it. You can see it in the pic above.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the info, I was able to run the wires to the hoop pods. I have another question. I have a 2016 SS with the factory radio. I am going to use the pre amp wires for the rear speakers and power on. I do not see the front speaker wires. I only have 2 plugs coming out of my stereo and neither are the front wires. Any suggestions where they are?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yep, stock front speaker wires are in that big 32 pin connector, pins 19-22. Follow the link in my post #19 above for a schematic.

BTW, the stock "Infotainment" system is 2 pieces. The front is just a screen and buttons. The "black box" stereo is behind it mounted vertically. You can take off the dash (10 screws) pretty easily to get to it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Is that the only way to get to the plug is to remove the entire dash? Will I get the sound through the pre amp out if I only use the amp for the rear speakers?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Not sure if you can reach through the front between the engine and the dash to get to that plug, but taking off the dash is pretty simple:
  1. Remove mirrors and arms.
  2. Remove underneath trim along both outsides.
  3. Remove the 2 triangular trim pieces above the stereo - just pop straight up - no screws.
  4. Remove the 2 pop rivets at the top corners of the stereo.
  5. Remove 8 (or 10?) Torx screws along top of front of dash.
  6. Remove stereo screen (if you haven't already done it). In that hole straight down inside are a couple of push rivets on both sides of the starter button. They look just like the rivets in #4 above. Pop them out
  7. Pull the transmission tunnel covers from both sides of the stereo - just pop out in the front, don't need to remove the whole thing.
  8. If it's a 2015-2016.5, you'll need to unplug the wires from the starter button.
  9. Lift out the dash and set aside.
Really, it's pretty simple. I've done it a few times. Typing this took about as long as it does to take the dash off.

BTW, while you've got it out, make yourself some sort of firewall to go between the stereo and engine under the dash. I used some rigid foam insulation I had laying around and some heat tape. Search here for info on the exact measurements.

I'm not sure about the pre-amp out from the stock stereo. Check that other thread (hidden speaker wires) - someone might know there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Installed the rear pods and amp yesterday. I used a 4 channel line out converter and for some reason I do not get sound in the rear speakers. I checked all the wires and ended up connecting all 4 speakers to the front speaker out on the amp. Does anyone know what is causing the issue? They sound good hooked up to the front only. I will probably just leave it that way but I have a 4 channel amp.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I had the amp set up for 4 channels. I guess I need to test a speaker on the rear speaker wires to see if I get any sound from the head unit and line out converter. If I do, I suspect it is a problem with the amp. It sounds good using just 2 channels but I would like to be able to adjust the fade more to the front which I cannot with 2 channels. I will do some testing this weekend and see what I come up with.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts