Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for suggestions on a good inexpensive amp to buy for my 2016 SS with the stock radio.

I am planning to add an additional set of speakers but trying to decide between the side panel pods or hoop pods. I have already upgraded my front pods to SSV pods with SSV speakers.

I would appreciate everyones inputs.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,801 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you put the amp under the seat? Did you hook the front speaker pods to the amp too. I probably will not do a sub right now. I do want an amp that will power the front SSV pods and the headrest hoop pods. Does the amp come with install instructions.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,801 Posts
Amp did not come with install instructions to connect to the factory speakers...but if you are savvy with car audio installs it's pretty straight forward. I installed the amps on the lower portion of the plastics behind the seat. They are water resistant and I have had them for 3+ years with no issues.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,801 Posts
Unfortunately I am not to savvy with audio installs. I may have to buy the SSV amplifier instead.
Look up how to install an amplifier using a Line Out Converter... that will explain enough.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I personally went with the Kenwood KAC-M3004 Amp. It's marine grade and actually designed for motorcycles so it's pretty small. It's running all 4 6.5" speakers (went with the LED Kickers) in the SSV front pods and rear hoop pods. Those are the ones you want. In fact, the rear hoop pod speakers are so loud, I actually had to set the fader to be more front oriented. Only worry about the side speakers if you're wanting to go more than 4 speakers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am looking at that same amp. Can you tell me how you installed yours? I know I have to buy the line out adapter.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,801 Posts
I am looking at that same amp. Can you tell me how you installed yours? I know I have to buy the line out adapter.
I have an aftermarket head unit...so it wouldn't be the same install.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,801 Posts
What stereo did you buy? Is it plug and play with backup camera option?
I bought this: DDX375BT 2-Din DVD Receiver with Bluetooth | Navigation and Multimedia | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | KENWOOD USA

It is not plug and play, it does have the option for a back up camera though. You can use a cheap one that is only about $40 or you can do full on High Definition that runs around $199. Added bonus, if you wire it correctly you can use a switch to turn on the camera and use it as your rear view while driving.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I used the Kenwood DMX7704S with the DRV-N520 Drive Recorder Dash Camera that integrates directly into the stereo (when I bought it, the package was ~$200 cheaper). I used a cheap <$20 camera also off of Amazon for the rear and everything just plug-n-played. This set up give me both front and rear camera controlled through the head unit screen. I did not use any of the stock wiring as I put my amp under the driver seat. Ran RCA cables from the stereo to the amp and then speaker wires from amp to all 4 speakers (less than 5ft run of wire for each speaker). You can buy SlingTunes Wire Harness for stereo power that will run right to the stock harness to sort of make it plug-n-play.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to be clear with those who installed an amp. You put it behind the seat ran power to the battery and grounded the amp (where?). Then speaker wire to the speakers. Is there something I'm missing? I've done car audio before. It just been several years.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yes, just ran a 2 ft wire thru an inline fuse straight to the battery for both positive and ground. There is generally a 3rd wire (blue - looks purple in the pic below) for ignition that I ran with the RCA cables back up to the head unit. Most aftermarket stereos have a wire out for this. That's what turns on and off your amp.

This amp has a wire harness connect that your run all you speakers to - no need to ground any of those wire

2019-07-01 648.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the info. Does the stock unit have a way to hook in for the ignition start up? I think you have aftermarket, correct?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Check that other thread for the SL Hidden Speaker Wires for the wiring diagram. You could use Pin # 6 for the amp switched power. On my 2nd SS (the one in the Avatar and with the Amp is SS #3) I used pins 19-22 to connect the Pioneer head unit so that I could use the stock wiring for the speakers in the stock pods. SS #3 went with a Kenwood head unit and I did not use any of the stock wiring.

BTW, if you do it yourself, it's not that much, depending on what you need. Since I didn't have anything in SS#3, I went with the following, totaling just right at $1500, plus my labor. I could have done it in 1 day if I didn't have so many problems with a cheap wiring kit I bought.
  • Head unit - $350
  • Front Dash Cam - $150 (I did get the head unit and dash cam as a package for $500)
  • Amp - $160
  • Speakers - 4x$75 = $300
  • Front & Rear Pods - 2x$190 = $380
  • Rear Camera & mount - $40
  • Stereo Mounting Kit & parts - $100 (I did have to cobble this out of multiple pieces)
  • Misc Wiring/looms/connectors - $100+

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just to be clear with those who installed an amp. You put it behind the seat ran power to the battery and grounded the amp (where?). Then speaker wire to the speakers. Is there something I'm missing? I've done car audio before. It just been several years.
I installed my amp under the passenger seat. Ran the power from the battery short 4 foot cable , grounded to the seat belt and ran the remote (for amp on off) from the unused factory plugin under the seat. The amp turn on when car starts and shuts off when you turn it off. Saves running wire from head unit all the way back. I have the stock pods which I cut to fit 4” and a 6.5” and have 6.5” side pods with kickers in all. They are a good speaker for a low cost. Ran a cheap mtx 4 channel amp. Now I can hear the music when cruzin in the hwy even over the load header / exhaust mod I put in.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts