Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have deposit on one of the first SL models from Performance East in Goldsboro, NC. I have been all over anything on this site that has to do with the new Slingshot. I am just as excited as all of the rest of you to actually see/ drive / purchase one. But-------I have noticed something no one is talking about. In the video with all of what I believe to be are Polaris Dealers operating the gray units over a 20 minutes or so I hear a very strong "whine" all of the time. I don't know if Hero cameras are too sensitive to picking up sound but I don't think so. If the actual Slingshots have this much noise the radio would be useless, I believe it would make me think twice about following through with purchase. Hopefully
they have worked this "noise" out of the production units. Am I the only one that is bothered by this???

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I have deposit on one of the first SL models from Performance East in Goldsboro, NC. I have been all over anything on this site that has to do with the new Slingshot. I am just as excited as all of the rest of you to actually see/ drive / purchase one. But-------I have noticed something no one is talking about. In the video with all of what I believe to be are Polaris Dealers operating the gray units over a 20 minutes or so I hear a very strong "whine" all of the time. I don't know if Hero cameras are too sensitive to picking up sound but I don't think so. If the actual Slingshots have this much noise the radio would be useless, I believe it would make me think twice about following through with purchase. Hopefully
they have worked this "noise" out of the production units. Am I the only one that is bothered by this???
I haven't really noticed it, and I'm sure the people that have seen and/or drove the Slingshot would have mentioned something if there was a annoying/awkward sound.

Also, there shouldn't be anything that would be different from the base model the the SL for this type of noise.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I almost forgot, Polaris gave me a copy of some GoPro footage from atop the hood, I could maybe upload that here.

·
Registered
916 Posts
C'mon KIP your holding out on us?? What other hidden footage haven't you shared? I mentioned when the videos first came out that the SS's had a distinctive George Jetsonish sound to their acceleration. I know that any comments from people who have ridden them have said "cabin" noise is not an issue.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
C'mon KIP your holding out on us?? What other hidden footage haven't you shared? I mentioned when the videos first came out that the SS's had a distinctive George Jetsonish sound to their acceleration. I know that any comments from people who have ridden them have said "cabin" noise is not an issue.
Sorry! It's just not as exciting a video as it sounds. It was during a low-speed cruise...

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
It's probably just some tire noise of the tires eating up the asphalt! ;)

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
I heard it also. It sounded like a gearbox or maybe the box that switches from shaft to belt. Probably normal to a certain degree.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
The only whine I heard is all the prospective owners WHINING about when they will get here! HA! ... me too!

Probably just the manual gearbox whine being picked up by the Mic!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I've noticed this too on pre-production models, it will be interesting to see if this was corrected in final production models.
I noticed that too. Reminded me of the rear gear noise problem that CanAm had on the Commander UTV. Took them three tries to get it fixed.

·
Registered
702 Posts
If it's really there and not a bad transmission or two, I don't think fixing it is that easy.

I think it would take softer mounts if it's vibration from the trans exciting the body shell, and/orsound deadening material between the transmission and body if it's airborne noise transmission.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
If there is a problem (and I ain't say' there is) it would probably be the 90 degree bevel drive. They are so much trickier to design than transmission gears. The trans has been out there a long time and no doubt well debugged.

·
Registered
702 Posts
If it doesn't have spiral bevel gears that could be it.

But I suspect it's the trans; all of them whine varying amounts but with cars they take pains to add sound deadening.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I heard that too, it sounded like an over zealous driver putting undue pressure on the shifter while it is already in gear making the syncro's a little noisy.

If gear whine is too much for you to handle, I am sure we can find you an electric Segway to ride and perhaps tutu to wear while you are on it along with a bunch of Rainbow bumper stickers...... :clown:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I heard that too, it sounded like an over zealous driver putting undue pressure on the shifter while it is already in gear making the syncro's a little noisy.

If gear whine is too much for you to handle, I am sure we can find you an electric Segway to ride and perhaps tutu to wear while you are on it along with a bunch of Rainbow bumper stickers...... :clown:

Mr. Bigfoot

I have since talked to someone that has actually driven the Slingshot in the video that I referred too. They acknowledged that there was a very definite whine, they were hopeful that it would be addressed in actual vehicles to be sold.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Tailoring NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) is an art form just like exhaust sound design. A noise can be annoying as hell or automotive poetry.
I'm hoping the SS sings a nice song, but I'm planning on an exhaust system change if necessary. You can never tell from a video but the SS exhaust didn't sound too bad (for a stock system) in a couple of them I've heard.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts