Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering where I can buy new wheels for a decent price. I see websites and local businesses charge the same for 3 wheels as they would for 4. As soon as they here Slingshot they over price. Example set of 4 wheels at $1,000 so that’s $250 a wheel. So 3 wheels should be $750?! Anyone know an honest place to buy wheels?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Most of the aftermarket that are made for the Slingshot are a littler nicer than average and a 'low run' and generally 2 different sizes. Having been around since Feb 2015 you probably not going to find a set of 'wheels' for the Slingshot for less than a $1,000.00 and most will be considerably more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand but I’ll find wheels I like that are the same size, offset etc for the same price as three wheels. Just feels shady.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
If Polaris had chosen an offset used for more popular cars, such as a Mustang wheel where offsets typically run from 20 or so up to as high as 50 mm, the wheels would probably be cheaper, but the 42/45 mm offsets for front/rear wheels is not a high-demand offset, translating to higher costs.
I've been running an American Muscle 10th Anniversary Cobra Style 17x10.5" wheel with a Nitto 555 G2 315/35ZR17 tire. The combined cost of the wheel and tire was less than $400 mounted, but the Mustang wheel has a 28 mm offset so the wheel centers almost 1.5" to the left. I have encountered no handling problems during the 11000 miles or so I've been running that setup. I recently started trying an Achilles ATR Sport 2 305/30ZR18 tire on a Circuit Performance 18x10.5" wheel with a 35 mm offset. The reduced offset means the wheel still centers to the left, but like the AM wheel and the 315 Nitto setup, I have not experienced any handling irregularities with the new setup either. The Achilles 305 tire is even cheaper than the stock Kenda (although it has a little higher tread life rating) and is available thru Amazon for just over $103. I also lucked out with the wheel, getting it on clearance for right around $100 shipped.
To me, the biggest problem with trying to roll your own set of wheels/tires is you can find an acceptable front or rear wheel, but finding the same wheel style in something close to the stock Slingshot sizes and offsets for both front and rear wheels gets difficult. I'm sure I've spent several 100 hrs over the last couple years researching possible combinations.
If you try non-standard wheels, you need to keep an eye on clearance issues and the impact on the speedometer. Discount Tire's Tire Size Calculator (https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator) will provide an accurate description of size and speedometer impact. WillTheyFit.com provides a visualization of the impact of different wheel/tire & offsets, but its speedometer calculations are not as accurate as the DT calculator.
Also, make sure you get the appropriate hub ring adapters for proper wheel centering w/o stressing the wheel lugs. The Slingshot needs an inner diameter of 66.1 mm for its hub ring and then you need to match the outer diameter to whatever wheel you choose. Mustang wheels are often designed with a 70-73 mm hub ring.
When you buy a set of wheels and tires already setup for the Slingshot, you're paying for the peace of mind that you won't run into problems and for someone else's extensive research to get everything coordinated.

·
Registered
678 Posts
never cared for the look of the stock rims on SS, not even the fancier SLR rims, and the tires were too narrow for my liking. Traction of course, but also the looks of wider tires have always appealed to me.

This is what I went for on my look :

The tires are Nitto NT555 G2 from Discount Tire, they had the best pricing and with free rotations and flat fixes. I went with 315/35 R17 all the way around, so I can rotate them and I just prefer the look. I went with 17's because I have some cushion and they will flex. Plus, the tires were cheaper than going with a similar sized 18, however, the wheels were a bit more expensive. The wheels are Race Star 17x10.5" Drag Star in metallic gray. Picked them up off of ebay for about $15 off per wheel vs any other place online (Normally $315 - 330 each). Discount didn't have that brand on their website, but turns out, they could have ordered them for me, and beaten the price, live and learn.

One thing to note, these wheels do not take standard lug nuts, the ones I had put on my SS a few weeks ago do not work. In talking with Race Star (excellent customer service), they recommended Gorilla Automotive 84127 lug nuts. The B on the part number is bulk and comes with the washers, but of course, the packaging doesn't mention which washer and it had the off-centered ones, while these wheels need centered ones.

Pretty deep shank is needed, and I used a standard 13/16 socket. I normally use an impact socket on a torque wrench, but it was a tight fit and didn't want to scar the wheels.

Of note, the washers are marked for wheel side, and are slightly concave. These wheels have a 78.1mm hub and our SS has a 66.1mm hub, so an adapter is needed to keep the wheels centered properly.

Lastly, I finally installed the TPMS sensors I picked up a while back, still don't have the display unit mounted anywhere, but for now, it's staying stored in the glove box and I can pull out for rides.

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
901 Posts
A well known forum member I use to ride with, bought some insane wheels from "Dubs & Wheels". He talked to the guy there, and he recommends you do the same.
He has since sold his SS, but I still speak with him all the time.
He shopped like mad, and claims nobody got close to their prices.
Give em a call!!
And @BONES said to say hello to everyone!

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,850 Posts
Terrance Wortham at King Street Car Care has been taking care of Slingshot owners for a long time. I am not sure how his prices compare to Rev Dynamics. They seem to carry almost the same packages for the Slingshot. Audio City is also pretty good on price...and they carry some similar brands and styles as King Street and Rev Dynamics. I personally went with the Twist Dynamics because I loved the style...and they were right in front of my face at the Slingshot in the Rockies event.

Reactions: FunkyFrank
1 - 9 of 9 Posts