Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to read and learn about FAT tire kits. You can get them all the way up to 450 mm by all things chrome. Looks like the regular fat tire is 360 by 18.

It looks like you can go single or double armed for the swing.

Can someone enlighten me about this. Thanks again and sorry I keep asking a lot of questions but I don't know about this motorcycle stuff.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
You want to be looking at car tires/wheels not motorcycle tires/wheels. Even though this is called a "motorcycle" for legal purposes it is really a 3 wheeled car. The front and rear tires are car tires and the wheels are car rims.

The FAT tire motorcycle kits are still made for motorcycles that lean which the SS does not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bummer! I think a fat tire will look cool on the ss. But it makes sense. I understand about the turning and the curve on the tire. I have seen some fat tires that were straight with no curve really.

Man that just burst my bubble.

Is there a big difference between a motorcycle and car rim fit they are the same size ?

OK how wide can a car tire hey☺
Ha ha I don't the NO word

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Car tires get to the 335 345 sizes but it will have to be squeezed onto the SS. There are a lot of things in the way, physically and dynamically, to putting a huge tire on the back. Can't wait to see what can be done though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just talked to my friend that is a engineer and he said 3 wheels are hard to tune/balance/get right. So to change things could mess up what polaris had already done. Putting a large tire on the back looks cool but it makes the back have more grip and then makes the fronts just go straight. With a three wheel u want to be able to throw it around.

He said you will have to play with it, learn the science behind it, and test things out

·
Registered
686 Posts
Is there a big difference between a motorcycle and car rim fit they are the same size ?
Yes; as already said, a bike tire is curved so to maintain road contact when leaning.

Even so it's a smaller contact area so the rubber is softer to increase traction.

So bike tires wear faster, and on top of that they're more expensive.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I just talked to my friend that is a engineer and he said 3 wheels are hard to tune/balance/get right.
He's right in the sense that 3 wheelers are less tunable because you can't adjust the relative amounts of lateral weight transfer between the front and the back - no matter how much roll stiffness there is from the springs and swaybar, 100% of it is at the front (the back wheel has essentially zero tipover resistance), giving them basic understeering characteristics.

OTOH because you can't do anything about it, there's a less to fuss with; you can increase grip with different tires and suspension geometry, but it's still going to understeer.

So I'd disagree with your friend and say 3 wheelers (reverse trikes only) are hard to get wrong; benign understeer, subject to power oversteer at the driver's discretion.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think you will be able to run up to a 315 without any major modifications. It should look awesome filling up the back with a wide tire though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just talked to my friend that is a engineer and he said 3 wheels are hard to tune/balance/get right. So to change things could mess up what polaris had already done. Putting a large tire on the back looks cool but it makes the back have more grip and then makes the fronts just go straight. With a three wheel u want to be able to throw it around.

He said you will have to play with it, learn the science behind it, and test things out
Regardless what the "ss forum professionals" think, mines going to have a 300 rear, look badass, cookie like no other and I'm sure drive straight down the road with no problems

1 - 10 of 10 Posts