Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I have never owned a business or filed bankruptcy, but I can imagine he felt like his business was his baby. Created from nothing like his restaurants presumably were. Unfortunately we don't know and may never know what went down. (It will probably leak sooner or later via MORE rumors)

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. I am assuming he tried to keep making product and shipping to support SS owners until a Marshall and a locksmith knocked on the door and booted him out. From what I have heard, it can be a pretty sudden and unexpected thing when the bank says they are done working with you. They surprise you so you don't liquidate and disappear with all of the assets. You leave your lunch on the table, grab the pictures of your family from off your desk and you are out. If you return you are trespassing. It is humiliating and destroys your ego. All patents, intellectual property, logos, websites, nut and bolt rolling around on the floor gets caught up in the court.

God speed Matt, Trav, and Henry.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I for one was a Alpha supporter. Alpha Turbo, Short shifter . And went with the JRI shocks on Henrys recommendation. I love all the products. I'm just a blue collar guy. Install all my mods myself. one because I can't afford to have someone else do them and I like working on my sling. When I bought my alpha Turbo kit I had never installed anything like that. During installation the customer service was fantastic. I would send pictures ask questions and they help with everything and it worked out perfectly. I Have over 6 thousand miles of smiles on my face from my turbo and couldn't be happier. I will be eager to find out what happened. But my I interactions with them where all positive and hate to see them gone

·
Registered
133 Posts
I for one was a Alpha supporter. Alpha Turbo, Short shifter . And went with the JRI shocks on Henrys recommendation. I love all the products. I'm just a blue collar guy. Install all my mods myself. one because I can't afford to have someone else do them and I like working on my sling. When I bought my alpha Turbo kit I had never installed anything like that. During installation the customer service was fantastic. I would send pictures ask questions and they help with everything and it worked out perfectly. I Have over 6 thousand miles of smiles on my face from my turbo and couldn't be happier. I will be eager to find out what happened. But my I interactions with them where all positive and hate to see them gone
I think the problem was that Alpha tried to get into too many things. They were doing Slingshots, snow mobiles, side by sides, cars, you name it. I remember Henry being a great help to everyone on the forum. I also remember him posting about all the other stuff that Alpha was into besides the Slingshot. He was a "hotshot" at the SEMA show. It wasn't just for the Slingshot. I was impressed. In hindsight I guess he just spread himself too thin. I don't think he's a bad guy..... It sucks to hear about people that ordered stuff, their money was taken, and they received nothing. That makes everything he did good over the years mean nothing. You don't take a persons hard earned money and give them nothing. If that happened to me..... I'm not sure how I would handle it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The true measure of a man is how he handles adversity.. Henry failed. Not because his businesses failed but because he failed the people who trusted him. My hope is that whomever ordered and paid for merchandise from Alpha and never received it were able to dispute the charges on their credit card and I hope they all paid by credit card.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Again, there are a lot of people commenting that have little to no knowledge on this situation. Businesses are different and business owners handle situations differently too. To talk about only the last 3-6 months and act like this is the "mold" of the person or company is unfair and it is honestly hard to read without getting upset.

Alpha and Henry went out of there way hundreds of times to make customers happy. Many of these times they did this and made $0 money and actually lost money. I won't make a list of all of the things I know, as I don't have time.

In the end, I am sure a lot happened that Henry wishes could have been handled better. But with limited to no staff and other business ventures (that were previous to Alpha), it is really hard to do what needs to be done. To think he was purposely collecting orders and not shipping it just PLAIN CRAZY! I hear very little about anyone waiting on orders and it is very easy to cancel a credit card payment and move to a different vendor.

It is fine that people are upset, but I am personally bummed for him and the company, as I know that his intentions have always been good.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Again, there are a lot of people commenting that have little to no knowledge on this situation. Businesses are different and business owners handle situations differently too. To talk about only the last 3-6 months and act like this is the "mold" of the person or company is unfair and it is honestly hard to read without getting upset.

Alpha and Henry went out of there way hundreds of times to make customers happy. Many of these times they did this and made $0 money and actually lost money. I won't make a list of all of the things I know, as I don't have time.

In the end, I am sure a lot happened that Henry wishes could have been handled better. But with limited to no staff and other business ventures (that were previous to Alpha), it is really hard to do what needs to be done. To think he was purposely collecting orders and not shipping it just PLAIN CRAZY! I hear very little about anyone waiting on orders and it is very easy to cancel a credit card payment and move to a different vendor.

It is fine that people are upset, but I am personally bummed for him and the company, as I know that his intentions have always been good.
Yes, the internet is a vicious place. Keyboard tough guys abound. When one troll smells blood, it's easy for the mob mentality to take over. People get their little feelings hurt pretty easily by trolls. You have to take it with a grain of salt or you punch you monitor or snap your phone in half.

I think the problem most people have is just like you said. "Alpha and Henry went out of his way hundreds of times to make customers happy." Dare I say that a lot of them felt they had a personal connection with him through their Alpha experience. Henry's personal connection via his vast knowledge and ability to troubleshoot his product over email, this forum, or even on the phone made his customers feel like they had "a friend in the business". I think this is what makes the lack of communication sting a little.
A simple "Thank you for your support over the years. Sorry I have to close up shop and move on." would have been all it would have taken. It is not too late either.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Yes, the internet is a vicious place. Keyboard tough guys abound. When one troll smells blood, it's easy for the mob mentality to take over. People get their little feelings hurt pretty easily by trolls. You have to take it with a grain of salt or you punch you monitor or snap your phone in half.

I think the problem most people have is just like you said. "Alpha and Henry went out of his way hundreds of times to make customers happy." Dare I say that a lot of them felt they had a personal connection with him through their Alpha experience. Henry's personal connection via his vast knowledge and ability to troubleshoot his product over email, this forum, or even on the phone made his customers feel like they had "a friend in the business". I think this is what makes the lack of communication sting a little.
A simple "Thank you for your support over the years. Sorry I have to close up shop and move on." would have been all it would have taken. It is not too late either.
Agree. More communication about the happenings would have been helpful for everyone.

·
Super Moderator
2,871 Posts
Henry was co-owner of Alpha Powersport with Andy Rosenau, not sole owner.

Henry was always a stand-up guy, even one holiday when he almost fell off a ladder while grabbing a part for me he recovered--that's how stand-up he was! Think for a moment, a business owner went to fetch a part, on a holiday, when it could easily wait. He had a passion, I had a passion, he decided it couldn't wait.

Henry loved Alpha, loved working on Slingshots, treated the employees awesomely (according to the employees)--always giving them credit, he would always take my phone call or call me back, he LOVED what he and the shop were doing.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Henry was co-owner of Alpha Powersport with Andy Rosenau, not sole owner.

Henry was always a stand-up guy, even one holiday when he almost fell off a ladder while grabbing a part for me he recovered--that's how stand-up he was! Think for a moment, a business owner went to fetch a part, on a holiday, when it could easily wait. He had a passion, I had a passion, he decided it couldn't wait.

Henry loved Alpha, loved working on Slingshots, treated the employees awesomely (according to the employees)--always giving them credit, he would always take my phone call or call me back, he LOVED what he and the shop were doing.
To me it sounds like someone needs to reach out to him on his personal number, find out what happened and see if the forum can get him back on track. If he is as great as you say, maybe he can be redeemed. Just maybe we can come up with a solution to whatever has gone wrong and save him.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
To me it sounds like someone needs to reach out to him on his personal number, find out what happened and see if the forum can get him back on track. If he is as great as you say, maybe he can be redeemed. Just maybe we can come up with a solution to whatever has gone wrong and save him.
Might not be as easy as that. If he has been told that as part of a (in theory) bankruptcy shutdown, he may be under orders to not say anything until any litigation is done.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Might not be as easy as that. If he has been told that as part of a (in theory) bankruptcy shutdown, he may be under orders to not say anything until any litigation is done.
He could open up a new company called Bravo Power sports and put it in someone else's name. You know , the same way kids have bad credit before they turn 18.

·
Vendor
2,226 Posts
Unfortunately Alpha is DOA and will not be coming back under Alpha or another name.. They are in a completely different industry from now... It was nice to have them while they were here but unfortunately they will be no more.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Unfortunately Alpha is DOA and will not be coming back under Alpha or another name.. They are in a completely different industry from now... It was nice to have them while they were here but unfortunately they will be no more.
Thank You.. Do you know if Alpha will refund money to those who ordered . If you are in touch with Henry?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thank You.. Do you know if Alpha will refund money to those who ordered . If you are in touch with Henry?
This is where a small problem becomes uncontrollable and morphs into something civil and perhaps criminal. They can run away and ignore those folks but if charges are filed, someone will take the fall. No amount of money is worth the legal trouble they face.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm sorry I realize what DOA means. but your statement doesn't really help those of us that where customers to understand what happened is there another information you can pass along? Thanks

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I'm sorry I realize what DOA means. but your statement doesn't really help those of us that where customers to understand what happened is there another information you can pass along? Thanks
I assume that if Slingmods did know more, it would be unethical for them to say. It's up to Henry and his co-owner now. Unless there is some public record somewhere that someone can sleuth up? ;) But that would be extremely nosey.

·
Registered
557 Posts
This episode with Henry is so unbelieveable and sad for us folks who did business with Alpha. He was such a great person who always went the extra mile to help his customers.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,816 Posts
It's really a shame that this happened. I had breakfast a few times with Henry during SSITR and you could tell he was done with the slingshot biz. He mentioned that it wasn't profitable for him to be at the events. Can't imagine being in a business where everyone complains about the pricing on products could do well. Everyone wants top of the line products on a Walmart price plan. Hope everything gets taken care of for all his customers through this ugly process and I wish Henry all the best. He seemed to be a stand up guy.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts