Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Vendor
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a customer that upgraded from the Alpha turbo kit to our DDMWorks Rotrex supercharger kit and so we have this really nice kit available for sale. The customer only had it installed for a couple hundred miles as you can tell by the condition of the tubes and other parts in the pictures. Alpha advertises this kit as making 254HP and 272 ft/lbs of torque on their site. The tubes are powdercoated in the wrinkle red finish and it will also ship with the oil pan, so everything is there for the install. The turbo is still very tight and in great shape. The intercooler looks great without any damage to it. This is a great kit for someone looking for a good quality kit and a great deal. This kit is on sale at Slingmods right now for $4350, regular price is $4850.

$2700 OBO shipped to continental US without tune. The tune is available through [email protected] and we can help you get in touch with him to get that done.

More information on the kit can be found here -

Polaris Slingshot Turbo Kit by Alpha Powersport

To purchase, shoot me a PM or give us a call at - 864-438-4949 and we will get it on the way. Payment can be via credit card or Paypal.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,160 Posts
I'd love to be a fly on the wall when dude walked in and said "I have 200 miles on my turbo, I want you to take it all off, sell it at a 50% loss and install your supercharger".

There has got to be a whole lot more to this story. Or dude has WAY too much money.
If you get a chance to ride or drive the SC units, its a different feeling to the same point. I do like turbos, but this is a nice set-up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just asking ? Why is the Alpha Turbo on there web site on sale for 4300. I ordered mine the other day . Did not know if they were different or they just need to sell them. And are they tuned for stage two if we decide to step up from stage one. Or is it the same tune

·
Vendor
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just asking ? Why is the Alpha Turbo on there web site on sale for 4300. I ordered mine the other day . Did not know if they were different or they just need to sell them. And are they tuned for stage two if we decide to step up from stage one. Or is it the same tune
Did you order from Alpha directly? It looks like on their site the kits are $4849.99, but if you go to Slingmods they are $4350. It looks like they are the same kit, but you may want to call Alpha and see for sure.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
If you get a chance to ride or drive the SC units, its a different feeling to the same point. I do like turbos, but this is a nice set-up.
I am sure it is. I have great faith in Dave and the quality of the products they produce.

I love superchargers. I really do. But my beef with them (and anybody that has raced at Bandimere will back me on this) is at my elevation an SC is just not as effective as a turbo. Meaning the SC is only going to spool up as fast as the motor does and while that may be a non-issue at sea level, it's a huge issue a mile above sea level and critical at 10-14K ft elevation which I do drive in.

I assume the tide is turning more towards superchargers because Dave is getting ready to release his and Henry is working on theirs and discounting the prices on the Stage I Turbo. I do not agree with this.

There are a hundred opinions as to why but I'll say this:

1) Yes, the turbo is a pain in the ass to install. But I double dog dare anybody to say the SC looks better than a well done turbo. They don't. They look like an aftermarket bolt on and due to the installation parameters on this vehicle they are always going to look like a bolt on.
2) There are guys that want a fast, easy, no skill required install for HP. Welcome to the SC. I am not in that category.
3) Lets see how the SC's hold up with time. I have read about the sealed, ceramic bearing turbo's. I have read about the self-contained Rotrex units. Want to know what you'll be reading in a year? My supercharger blew up after 10K miles. Should I have been changing the oil in it?
4) You can pump just as much HP out of a good turbo as you can a supercharger. Easier. Pulley change on the supercharger, spring change on the turbocharger. It becomes a debate on how far can you push the motor and both an SC and TC can blow your motor up if that's your goal.

I get that manufacturers of aftermarket parts want to make things easy. But sometimes, easy is not better in the long run.

·
Vendor
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd love to be a fly on the wall when dude walked in and said "I have 200 miles on my turbo, I want you to take it all off, sell it at a 50% loss and install your supercharger".

There has got to be a whole lot more to this story. Or dude has WAY too much money.
There is a story behind it all, the short version is that it was less expensive for him to get the supercharger, gain some power and lose some money on the turbo kit than keep replacing engines.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did you order from Alpha directly? It looks like on their site the kits are $4849.99, but if you go to Slingmods they are $4350. It looks like they are the same kit, but you may want to call Alpha and see for sure.
Yes , bought it from SlingMods and called Alpha today and ask. He said it would be a Stage 1 , but I thought I read on here this morning that all Alphas were being sold as Stage 2 (spring in kit if you want to go up) then if its sold as a stage 1 . Then do you need to get a reflash on the ECU if you change springs? I'm learning. Please b patient.

·
Vendor
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am sure it is. I have great faith in Dave and the quality of the products they produce.

I love superchargers. I really do. But my beef with them (and anybody that has raced at Bandimere will back me on this) is at my elevation an SC is just not as effective as a turbo. Meaning the SC is only going to spool up as fast as the motor does and while that may be a non-issue at sea level, it's a huge issue a mile above sea level and critical at 10-14K ft elevation which I do drive in.

I assume the tide is turning more towards superchargers because Dave is getting ready to release his and Henry is working on theirs and discounting the prices on the Stage I Turbo. I do not agree with this.

1) Yes, the turbo is a pain in the ass to install. But I double dog dare anybody to say the SC looks better than a well done turbo. They don't. They look like an aftermarket bolt on and due to the installation parameters on this vehicle they are always going to look like a bolt on.
2) There are guys that want a fast, easy, no skill required install for HP. Welcome to the SC. I am not in that category.
3) Lets see how the SC's hold up with time. I have read about the sealed, ceramic bearing turbo's. I have read about the self-contained Rotrex units. Want to know what you'll be reading in a year? My supercharger blew up after 10K miles. Should I have been changing the oil in it?
4) You can pump just as much HP out of a good turbo as you can a supercharger. Easier. Pulley change on the supercharger, spring change on the turbocharger. It becomes a debate on how far can you push the motor and both an SC and TC can blow your motor up if that's your goal.

I get that manufacturers of aftermarket parts want to make things easy. But sometimes, easy is not better in the long run.

Our kit has been released and shipping for awhile now :)

DDMWorks Slingshot Rotrex Supercharger Kit

I completely agree though that if you are running 10K-14K feet most of the time, a turbo does a much better job with altitude compensation than a supercharger as long as the turbo still has the head room in it to spool faster and make up for the less dense air.

As for the turbo's being a pain to install, you are right, the kits available now that require an oil pan swap make things more difficult to install in the Slingshot, but you only have to do it once, so not that big of deal. As for which one looks better, turbo or supercharger, that is really a personal choice and can be debated, some will like the supercharger installs, some will like the turbo, no big deal.

The sealed bearing turbo setups are a crap shoot, we have heard a lot of people having issues with those, I would definitely not recommend those to anyone right now. I am actually really surprised that the major manufacturers of turbo kits for the Slingshot are still using oil cooled only turbos. Water cooled turbos have been around for a long time and help with longevity on the bearings and reliability of the turbo substantially, I have no idea why everyone is sticking with these oil cooled only setups.

There is a reason we are using the Rotrex unit instead of a self contained oil setup though with our kit, with the Rotrex it takes a little extra time to install with the seperate oil cooler, filter and oil reservoir, but you end up having a lot more oil in the system and also keep that oil cool and clean, which keeps the bearings in the supercharger stay happy. The sealed units with only 4 oz of oil in them have no cooling or filtration which is why I believe that they are required to have oil changes every 7500 miles. The Rotrex units can go 50K miles between oil changes. The Rotrex units have been running 10% over max recommended input shaft speed on land speed record cars, in the desert without issues for years, when properly installed and cooled, they will take a beating. Just like everything though the design of the kit is really going to determine the longevity of the base units.

In the end, some people like turbos, some like superchargers, they are just different tools to accomplish the same goal, more fun :)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

1) I think SC looks great installed and they all look the same with the hood in latched position.
2) To insinuate that installing an SC requires no skill is wrong and somehow an indication that those who prefer to go the SC route are making some sort of compromise because of this is wrong.
3) Let's see how any of these systems hold up in time. Blown motor's from turbo's are already a proven commodity. I am sure there will be examples from both camps soon enough. Anyone bolting either of these on should understand first and foremost that more power and reliability are opposing goals.
4) Turbo makes more power easier? How so. Dave's dyno charts seem to imply the exact opposite. Stage 1 turbo is down on HP compared to the SC kit.

Get why you want the turbo for running mountain tops but strange why you would seem pissed about those wanting to go the SC route. I think there are quite a few that think its a safer way to make power on the stock motor and not an inferior option at all to a turbo setup.

·
Vendor
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess you are insinuating that there is a problem with the Alpha turbo kit?
There is no inherent problem with the Alpha turbo kit, it makes good power, has some nice pieces to it and they give good support of their product, I think it is pretty common knowledge though that some of their customers have blown up engines with the kit installed, same with HAHN and John Vi. In this case, we removed the turbo from this customers Slingshot and switched to the supercharger after he had an issue with the turbo kit installed and just did not want to take the chance again with his new engine. He was worried while driving the Slingshot something was going to happen and didn't want to keep constantly watching a boost gauge or air/fuel gauge, so he switched to the supercharger.

Hope that helps explain a little more,
Dave

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
[QUOTE="
Get why you want the turbo for running mountain tops but strange why you would seem pissed about those wanting to go the SC route. I think there are quite a few that think its a safer way to make power on the stock motor and not an inferior option at all to a turbo setup.[/QUOTE]

Not pissed at all JD. I couldn't care less whether you go the SC or TC route.

Point #1: What I do care about is that there are sentences above that allude a supercharger is somehow "safer" than a turbocharger and that's a crock of shit.

HP is HP. Set up properly either one is just as safe as the other. Setup improperly, either one is just as dangerous as the other.

Point #2: Taken out of context perhaps, taken reading between the lines - call it what you want - one could say there is some insinuation that Alpha turbos are blowing up motors right an left. I'd love to know who dude is that has replaced multiple motors because there is more to that story I guarantee you. I was born at night, but not last night.

That's my point. I get that we have two competing companies here. Everybody wants a piece of that big fat money pie that the SS ownership has.

But if you are going to tell me the Alpha Turbo I spent huge dollars and time on is blowing up motors, you better back it up with facts and proof. I'm a fact and proof based man. Otherwise it's hearsay and conjecture.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts