Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own the all black SL LE which is great, except for the normal black car issues. The Sling, regardless of speed, is a blast. However, When I started looking at exhausts and realized I wouldn't be happy with the sound of a 4 calendar and started looking into the turbos....

I would love any feedback from owners of the Alpha turbo kit... pros/cons and install price (if you had someone do it for you).

Being we have 1 rear tire do you get enough traction to fully enjoy it? Is it worth the money? Any other thoughts?

I have read through a few posts on the forum about the turbo kit, but, being a fun topic I didn't think anyone would mind another chain about speed.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I don't have an Alpha, but their reputation precedes them as a great, responsive, and supportive vendor that builds quality products.

As for turbo, I couldn't own one that isn't turbo after owning/driving one. Traction is still an issue 0-60 is barely faster, but above that it's several seconds faster in the 1/4 mile, feels like it looks (race car) and you no longer have to downshift from 5th to pass people at highway speeds, or go up a hill in the Rockies.

It's certainly a value and reliability proposition. Add up the NA mods and if the difference in price is too much, or you may have reservations about long term engine reliability, a turbo might not be right for you. I have 9k miles on my turbo, but a few out of hundreds have blown engines in less than 200 miles. It is definitely not the norm at all, as long as the installation is done well.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I had my Alpha turbo installed at dealers .I have to change to 2 bar soon but I would not own SS wiithout turbo.
The cost last fall with installing was approx 6k .
I would not go any farther than 2 bar with 6psi unless you are going to build motor to support more psi.
Like anything with power you can light the tire up 1st through 3rd gear. But you can also start and accelerate without
burning rear tire.. That is up to you and what you want it to do.
In wet weather you will have to pay attention and not over accelerate for you will be spinning out of control .
And Henry at Alpha will answer any questions about their products.
I have the upgraded suspension and support for master cylinder from alpha
and very happy with all their products

And guess you saw Alpha has Sale on Turbo.. Cheaper than what I paid

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Not looking to steal any attention away from the question on Henry's turbo, but where are you located? The best way to answer your question is to post your location and find someone close by that has a turbo. Most of the guys here would love to show you theirs (turbo Tripod, don't get excited) and take you out for a ride so YOU can decide for yourself some of these questions.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Bingo on what @Funinthesun said. If you are around AZ, look me up. I'll let you drive the sucker and it will ruin your thoughts on how fun a non-turbo SS is.

I'm partial to Alpha because I think their product is a bit nicer then others and I really like the guys from Alpha. It sure rocks with a header and 2bar kit. I'll race any of you Hahnies; any place any time. ;) Too bad there's none around me... :shifty:

Most kits now have all the quirks worked and should make good reliable power. I don't think youd be disapointed in the kit.

Reactions: Turbosling

·
Registered
791 Posts
Bingo on what @Funinthesun said. If you are around AZ, look me up. I'll let you drive the sucker and it will ruin your thoughts on how fun a non-turbo SS is.

I'm partial to Alpha because I think their product is a bit nicer then others and I really like the guys from Alpha. It sure rocks with a header and 2bar kit. I'll race any of you Hahnies; any place any time. ;) Too bad there's none around me... :shifty:

Most kits now have all the quirks worked and should make good reliable power. I don't think youd be disapointed in the kit.
Trav so about how much would a 2bar and header cost me? I also am a huge fan of Henry and Alpha as I have his CAI and side exhaust along with a few other Alpha mods...

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I know you didn't ask for my input, but just so you know if you install a turbo (anyone's turbo) the non turbo cold air kit and side exhaust will not fit the turbo system.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Trav so about how much would a 2bar and header cost me? I also am a huge fan of Henry and Alpha as I have his CAI and side exhaust along with a few other Alpha mods...
I'm not up to date with the current pricing.

Let's let the man @Turbosling answer this so you get the correct info right away.

Reactions: Turbosling

·
Movin on!
298 Posts
@juggernautjones85 , I highly recommend a Turbo. For obvious reasons, that I'm sure someone will chime in on, I would recommend Alpha's system :p. Either way, I was already considering Alpha prior to winning the turbo lottery. Mostly because I was looking for the extra power the SS lacks on the top end in stock form but I was not, however, looking to spend weekends at the racetrack seeing how much boost I can squeeze into the engine before it blew. There's others on this forum that have already done that and have the research information for how much you can push these engines to before they blow. They might even share it with you :D . I'm sure everyone's going to be partial to whatever brand they're running, but as I was saying, I had chosen Alpha's because it's a bit more conservative than say the Hahn or John V (the other 2 popular ones on this forum). So, for what I was looking for and based on everything I had researched (mostly on this forum) I was already convinced that @Turbosling 's system was going to fit the bill. Now, that being said, when I first got her home and drove her for the first time, uhmmm let's just say it took a couple of days for me to get it outta my system :rolleyes:. OMFG what a difference. You ask for con's, the only one I see so far is the lack of traction. You're already experiencing that through first gear, just add 2 more gears to that. It's that much of a difference. Power (and more importantly torque) is there in abundance whenever you need it without having to downshift as much as one has to with the stock setup. Again, this is mostly in the higher speeds where 5th was pretty useless. At least here at 4000 ft elevation with 80-100 degree weather most of the time (have a pilot explain density altitude to you sometime ;)). Prior to the turbo I was constantly having to downshift into 4th. The Alpha turbo has made this into a real monster when it comes to abundance of power (even while drag racing while pulling a trailer...but more on that later :eek::D). Good luck and as some have posted, if you're near anyone that has one, just ask, I'm sure any of us would gladly let you experience it.
Good Luck

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have the Alpha with bar 2 sensor. Installed it myself with little trouble. I'm sure some of the other kits may have more HP on more boost. But I love my kit. Installation was straight forward and support was unreal. From a rolling start in second from about 35 mph. 100 mph is there so fast it's scary(and I'm fearless ) LOL
This is the best mod you could do to make the machine run like it looks
And it makes it so much more fun to open the hood.great look kit also

·
Registered
891 Posts
ALPHA TURBO is the way to go in my opinion i have now 17000 turbo miles and 7000 non turbo miles on my sling and never have a problem :)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
The turbo kit is $4850.00 complete. That includes everything you need for install. Their is no charge for colors on our kit all colors available are included in the price.

All kits now are sold with the two bar setup as default. The only options with the kit is side exit exhaust ( its quieter) and a hand made stainless turbo manifold constructed from forged schedule 10.

These are not needed for the kit to perform as it should only a option. Side exit is $600 extra and manifold is $900.

Please give me a call if you would like more info and I can walk you though the whole process.

·
Registered
567 Posts
And when you buy tires in 3's for SS, but for SS turbo you might as well buy 4 tires..really.
If you want your tires to be the same then buy 4 cause you will need it faster than Non Turbo.:cigar:

·
Registered
330 Posts
View attachment 50148 View attachment 50148
I own the all black SL LE which is great, except for the normal black car issues. The Sling, regardless of speed, is a blast. However, When I started looking at exhausts and realized I wouldn't be happy with the sound of a 4 calendar and started looking into the turbos....

I would love any feedback from owners of the Alpha turbo kit... pros/cons and install price (if you had someone do it for you).

I had Alpha install, $4,800.00

Cons = 1st gear you have to feather a tad bit. VS stomping on. Depending on rear tire width.

Pro's = The speed in 2nd, 3rd &4th. Feels more like a motor cycle speed wise.
The sound.
The look

Being we have 1 rear tire do you get enough traction to fully enjoy it? Yes
Is it worth the money? Yes
Any other thoughts? Zero issues.

I had Alpha install, $4,800.00

Cons = 1st gear you have to feather a tad bit, vs stomping on. Depending on rear tire width.

Pro's = The speed in 2nd, 3rd &4th. Feels more like a motor cycle speed wise.
The sound.
The look

Being we have 1 rear tire do you get enough traction to fully enjoy it? Yes
Is it worth the money? Yes
Any other thoughts? Zero issues.[/QUOTE

·
Registered
557 Posts
I will just say that the Alpha Turbo Kit is well worth it. In keeping with reliability and durability, I kept the boost at 6 psi even though you can go up to 8-10 if you want to strain the motor and risk internal damage. It is fast enough at 6 psi.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I had an Alpha 2 bar installed at Henry's. Best product service ever. Much fun and noticeable difference. DO NOT turn the stability control off, unless your on a runway.........;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First off, thanks for everyone's support and replies. I'm definitely sold on the turbo and can't wait to buy and install.

I'll be looking to make the purchase within the next month or so.

any recommendation on rear tire upgrades? :D

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
G2 looks to be a really good fit.

For a stock SL wheel that is 9inch wide, I would go 275/30/20 or 275/35/20. Either one would work good.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts