Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given weak 0 to 60 times, when will ALL WHEEL DRIVE or 2FRONT WHEEL DRIVE be available. We would like to sponsor one.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Welcome RonS,

As to your question:
When it is okay to classify the Slingshot as a car, an not a moment sooner. Right now the belt-driven RWD setup is the reason why the SS can be designated a motorcycle.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Given weak 0 to 60 times, when will ALL WHEEL DRIVE or 2FRONT WHEEL DRIVE be available. We would like to sponsor one.
Hopefully never. A front wheel drive roadster? Ugh
And as for the acceleration...... not one tester/reviewer has complained about it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome RonS,

As to your question:
When it is okay to classify the Slingshot as a car, an not a moment sooner. Right now the belt-driven RWD setup is the reason why the SS can be designated a motorcycle.
I don't believe that to be true. The 3 wheel stance is the big thing that classify it as a motorcycle.

I had heard a rumor about engineers talking about an All Wheel version some day down the road. Could be interesting but I think part of the full is the rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I don't believe that to be true. The 3 wheel stance is the big thing that classify it as a motorcycle.
Don't get me wrong, that is part and parcel to the motorcycle designation too. It needed the three wheels AND the belt (or chain) driven rear wheel to be a motorcycle.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't get me wrong, that is part and parcel to the motorcycle designation too. It needed the three wheels AND the belt (or chain) driven rear wheel to be a motorcycle.
Not saying your wrong but can you direct me somewhere that says that besides just taking your word for it.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Not saying your wrong but can you direct me somewhere that says that besides just taking your word for it.
You win, you have nothing more than my good word to go on at this point. :shy:
It was something that was discussed with me at the conference this year, but I'm not sure where it is in writing for now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You win, you have nothing more than my good word to go on at this point. :shy:
It was something that was discussed with me at the conference this year, but I'm not sure where it is in writing for now.
Not a win lose thing I just wanted to know. I just hadn't heard that and had looked at a couple of states laws and didn't remember seeing it so was just curious.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Not a win lose thing I just wanted to know. I just hadn't heard that and had looked at a couple of states laws and didn't remember seeing it so was just curious.
As soon as I find out more, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This really isn't about the Slingshot at all, as I've looked quite a bit for info regarding classification as a motorcycle in New York State, and required equipment for 3 wheeled vehicles. I would be surprised to find a constraint as to what wheel is being driven, but states to funny things for sure.
To date all I can find beyond standard equipment (lights, mufflers, mirrors, etc) is "no more than 3 wheels", and some indication that their may only be "one passenger", although I can't confirm that. (as I wonder if that makes a sidecar illegal if you have a passenger on the bike and in the sidecar)
Now I have only looked in regards to NYS, so obviously other states may be different, but if anyone has links showing what classifies a vehicle as a "motorcycle" in a particular state, it would be interesting to see.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
NYS has the same ruling in effect as Indiana, that the "handlebars" can't be above the driver's/riders shoulders, but I don't expect NY to have the same response that Indiana did.

·
Vendor
5,431 Posts
What do you mean by sponsor?
What do you mean by weak? Sponsor?

There's nothing wrong with it's 0-60.....What kind of sponsoring are you interested in? For my taste, I like steering the vehicle with the throttle, so I'm lucky to get RWD before they ruin it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts