Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my SS for about 3 monthes now, how do you guys get over all the noises? Banging, whining, rattling etc?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
We just found a recent partial solution here as far as tire whine and associated ride quality has affected us:
Otherwise, I do not believe that we are currently experiencing any of these behaviors that you have described? However, for us to help you it would be helpful if you would advise the year and model of your machine as well as elaborating on the specific noises in which you are referring to? Are you saying that these are all new noises that have developed since you did your test ride before purchasing your SlingShot? As a starting point to finding solutions, if you utilize the search function of this forum you may find where others have experienced specific situations over time and have already shared their solutions for each.
I hope that this has been helpful?

Bill

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Like @wjfyfe posted above, tire noise can be a significant factor regarding noise in an open cockpit vehicle. I thought I had gotten used to all the noises, especially once I finally got a reasonably loud music setup installed, but after recently changing my angle drive fluid at around 58K miles, I now seem to be more aware of the angle drive noise even though I used the same lube I replaced the stock stuff with at around 25K miles (Redline Heavy Shockproof - https://smile.amazon.com/Red-Line-58204-Heavy-ShockProof/dp/B000CPI5XW/) which is popular with Harley owners for noise reduction. It's not recommended for use with synchro-equipped transmissions, so don't use it in the Slingshot's transmission, just the angle drive. I used Redline's MT-90 Transmission Lube for the transmission (https://smile.amazon.com/Red-Line-50305-MT-90-75W90/dp/B002INX20C/).

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I apologize,Newtoy1229$$, but I fail to grasp your meaning with this symbol?
Bill
Well @wjfyfe that is the classic 'face-palm', an expression of disdain for your post where you provided what appeared to be useful information to the original poster. Apparently your response was not up to his standards. Pretty abrupt for a new guy that has provided no useful input to this forum to treat a long-standing member that way...I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I had my SS for about 3 monthes now, how do you guys get over all the noises? Banging, whining, rattling etc?
I have had my 2020SL for three months now and have the same concern. I am a mechanic that works on industrial production machinery. Unfortunately with a right angle gear box there can be noise. The clicking at low speeds during slight acceleration or deceleration can be caused by gear lash in the gear box. The "Whine" can be caused by the same thing. My company went to nickel plated gears to keep the noise down and seems to be working. Maybe Polaris can try the same thing. Just took it to the dealer for its first service and talked to the service manager about the noise and he told me the same thing and that the noise is normal. He checked everything and everything was torqued properly and said that it the nature of the beast. I have extended warranty so I'm not worried about it. I just turn up the radio! LOL

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have had my 2020SL for three months now and have the same concern. I am a mechanic that works on industrial production machinery. Unfortunately with a right angle gear box there can be noise. The clicking at low speeds during slight acceleration or deceleration can be caused by gear lash in the gear box. The "Whine" can be caused by the same thing. My company went to nickel plated gears to keep the noise down and seems to be working. Maybe Polaris can try the same thing. Just took it to the dealer for its first service and talked to the service manager about the noise and he told me the same thing and that the noise is normal. He checked everything and everything was torqued properly and said that it the nature of the beast. I have extended warranty so I'm not worried about it. I just turn up the radio! LOL
Red Line Heavy Duty in my final drive made a noticeable reduction in gear noise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts