Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The following are all open bulletins from Polaris Industries regarding the 2015 Slingshot, all models:

SLI-15-03B - Clutch Switch Replacement
SLI-15-03A - Clutch Switch Inspection
SLI-15-02 - SAFETY BULLETIN - 2015 Slingshot - Steering Rack Replacement
SLI-15-01 - SAFETY BULLETIN - 2015 Slingshot - Roll Hoop Replacement

Please read each bulletin and contact your dealer for any required followup.

This is big guys. BIG. Polaris has listened to you!

If there are any recall notices issued today, or in relation to these bulletins, I will post them here also.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
well, I might have to take back everything I've said about them,...... maybe,... not yet though, I still don't have mine!:(:mad::confused:

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Thanks Kip.

Yes, I know I'm a technical nit picker but that was an interesting detail in the roll hoop bulletin. It says the strength (hardness) was compromised during the PAINTING process. I'm just trying to imagine what you could do during painting that could do that. Any inside info on this? Even powdercoating doesn't reach temperatures that would mess with the heat treatment of aluminum. Maybe a runaway oven thermostat?

Thanks for any possible info.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kip.

Yes, I know I'm a technical nit picker but that was an interesting detail in the roll hoop bulletin. It says the strength (hardness) was compromised during the PAINTING process. I'm just trying to imagine what you could do during painting that could do that. Any inside info on this? Even powdercoating doesn't reach temperatures that would mess with the heat treatment of aluminum. Maybe a runaway oven thermostat?

That's probably the best information we will have for now. The rest of the bulletin is dealer confidential information on how to make the repairs.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Slingshot SL "KEEP OFF"
756 Posts
Thanx for the post

Reactions: Kip

·
Registered
53 Posts
hi KIP buddy here from blainville, quebec,thanks for all the info you provide for us people here in quebec,not much info here from our dealers.still waiting for mine to arrive have a deposit down since august,was wondering do you know if all deliveries are on hold?.thanks again for all the time you put in to keep us up to date.really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi KIP buddy here from blainville, quebec,thanks for all the info you provide for us people here in quebec,not much info here from our dealers.still waiting for mine to arrive have a deposit down since august,was wondering do you know if all deliveries are on hold?.thanks again for all the time you put in to keep us up to date.really appreciate it.
Deliveries to dealers may not be on hold, but sales, of course, still are.

I am waiting for Polaris to release the French bulletins, and I want to post them in the Francophone section too. If you want to update everyone about the microswitch bulletin, please be my guest.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks Kip.

I think this might have something to do with why you shouldn't paint a DOT approved helmet. Something to do with stress cracking because of the paint... Sounds odd, but true...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks Kip.

We had had the problem in the snowmobile world in regards to powder coating aluminum rear suspension slide rails. Failures were possibly attributed to overtemps while baking the powdercoat. Not sure if it was the real reason.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The mass-fax for the steering rack safety bulletin is hitting dealers this very minute.

Reactions: Slingking

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks Kip.

Not getting too technical or specific: By "painting" they probably mean "powder coating" which invovles an oven at hundreds of degrees for curing (varies for the material in question). There is planty of data to show that the curing process shows a negative affect on strength of materials. Google will show you this (search fo this: Evaluation of the Effects of Powder Coating Cure Temperatures on the Mechanical Properties of Aluminum Alloy Substrates by Digital [email protected] Marymount University and Loyola Law School 2009)

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was that not the clutch switch issue?
I think that may well be an offhand attempt to correct that, and the other related issues detailed. Once someone gets theirs replaced, I'd like to hear back if this impacts their ride for the better.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts