Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2016 SL, it has the stock windshield, roll cage and canvas Bimini top. I am six feet tall and was wondering if anybody has any pros/cons on the taller windshields. Wondering if the taller ones work better in the rain. Do they create more of less wind noise?

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
More depends on how you like the 'wind' in your face. I spend 20+ years on a Gold Wing and always had a Tulsa Windshield (taller-wider-tinted) so I went with a F4 Costume Windshield 5+ tinted...love it. the 5+ is 5 inches taller than the stock. I also added the Baker 'Air Wings' to bring some cool in and keep some cold out. I'm 5ft 11 in.
EjSS46.jpg

Now have 95,000+ miles on the windshield and love it.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
A thread that I initiated a while back:
Bill

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have the F4+9 on my 2018 SL.

Looking through the windshield does not bother me and with the combination of Baker Air Wings and the +9 windshield I can get as much or as little air flow as I want.

This is a definite plus when riding in the cold winter months.

In my opinion the taller windshield (with Rain-X) is a whole lot better than rain hitting you in the face at 60mph.

Note – At highway speeds the rain will bead up and blow over the roof. Stop for a traffic signal and the rain on the sloped roof will enter the cabin area.

Noise is cut down enough that a conversation is possible without yelling. You do need to speak up a bit to be heard and understood.
IMG_8934.JPG

I’m 6’1”.

What is right for me may or may not be what you want. My two cents.

Reactions: Bgmac and BKL

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I have the F4+9 on my 2018 SL.

Looking through the windshield does not bother me and with the combination of Baker Air Wings and the +9 windshield I can get as much or as little air flow as I want.

This is a definite plus when riding in the cold winter months.

In my opinion the taller windshield (with Rain-X) is a whole lot better than rain hitting you in the face at 60mph.

Note – At highway speeds the rain will bead up and blow over the roof. Stop for a traffic signal and the rain on the sloped roof will enter the cabin area.

Noise is cut down enough that a conversation is possible without yelling. You do need to speak up a bit to be heard and understood.
View attachment 185457
I’m 6’1”.

Just don't stop for the RED lights... Only way to stay dry. I have NO roof and with the 5+ at speed rain blows over.. Some will get in the tunnel of the 2016 Slingshot seat.

What is right for me may or may not be what you want. My two cents.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just received my F4 +5 tinted and installed it today. Have to wait for better weather to test it out but sitting in the cockpit going vroom vroom it’s seems great!

·
Registered
2021 Slingshot R
43 Posts
i am on a trip now. i am 6'6" and have been snake bit in the past with buying to tall, i have the f4 +3 and it seems to be working just fine, for me looking over the windshield instead of through it is important.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You don't want to look through the windshield, nor is it necessary. Even if you are a fair weather rider, there is always that chance that you will have some freak thing happen. Around where I live on a chilly morning, you can come around a corner or go over a bridge and the windshield will flash fog over. Not a good thing when looking through the windshield. I have the Madstaad single standard height. I am 6'1' and I look comfortably over it. The still air bubble ends exactly at the top of my helmet, so that the helmet vents work, yet there is no turbulence. I used to have one that was 2 inches taller and I had to stretch to look over it. Doable, but not good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a 2016 SL, it has the stock windshield, roll cage and canvas Bimini top. I am six feet tall and was wondering if anybody has any pros/cons on the taller windshields. Wondering if the taller ones work better in the rain. Do they create more of less wind noise?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2019 GT with factory roof and Side wings and Love it. I’m 5’11” and I get really good protection in the Oklahoma wind and the rain blows over the top at speed. I wear a baseball hat when riding for like a sun visor only thing is about 3 times in 5200 miles a bug just cleared the W/S and went right below the bill of my hat and hit me in the forehead.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I have a 2019 GT with factory roof and Side wings and Love it. I’m 5’11” and I get really good protection in the Oklahoma wind and the rain blows over the top at speed. I wear a baseball hat when riding for like a sun visor only thing is about 3 times in 5200 miles a bug just cleared the W/S and went right below the bill of my hat and hit me in the forehead.
Should this be taken as another reminder that since the SlingShot was designed as a motorcycle alternative where even if a helmet is not required in some areas, it still is advisable?
Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Should this be taken as another reminder that since the SlingShot was designed as a motorcycle alternative where even if a helmet is not required in some areas, it still is advisable?
Bill
That’s why I Love Oklahoma we have a choice on helmet or no helmet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts