Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to have my base model by next month. So I was thinking will there be a way to add a aftermarket radio later on? I honestly didn't want to spend an extra $2k on a radio system and backup camera:eek: or will I be looking around the same price installing an aftermarket unit?

Just wanted to have ideas for when I do get mine :happy:

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Double Din will work. And you will have the power and switched power and ground right in the hole ready for you to tap.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thank you for the info. Still trying to decide whether to purchase the SL speaker housing and some JL Audio speakers or have some customers made kick panel speaker housing to install further near footing area. Heard stock SL speaker housing can break if not careful while getting in or out. Just lots of project to think of until my SS is in possession. Just looking also into building a rear fender for it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think I am going with a cheap double din from Pyle or Boss (sub 200.00) if it gets wet or stolen I can just put in another. I figure I can do this 10x before I pay for the Polaris version.
I am just waiting to figure out the speakers, anyone working on that ? I don't really want to pay almost 600.00 for the Polaris one that the tabs break off of.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Double Din will work. And you will have the power and switched power and ground right in the hole ready for you to tap.
Are these there for the infotainment system specifically? Or are you tapping onto power and ground from something else?

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Thank you for the info. Still trying to decide whether to purchase the SL speaker housing and some JL Audio speakers or have some customers made kick panel speaker housing to install further near footing area. Heard stock SL speaker housing can break if not careful while getting in or out. Just lots of project to think of until my SS is in possession. Just looking also into building a rear fender for it.
I right with you on this dilemma.

Even if you get the stock SS speaker housings, you will have to customize the 3.5inch speaker hole (middle one) because nobody is making a good speaker that size.

I am going to visit with my local stereo guru when I get my SS and see what creative items we can build to house speakers on this thing. Hopefully we can find a cost effective solution that works good.

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm hoping to have my base model by next month. So I was thinking will there be a way to add a aftermarket radio later on? I honestly didn't want to spend an extra $2k on a radio system and backup camera:eek: or will I be looking around the same price installing an aftermarket unit?

Just wanted to have ideas for when I do get mine :happy:
The infotainment radio is marginal in my opinion and hard to set up with bluetooth devices- poor documentation. I am also looking for something that can be used and will withstand the open cockpit and water.o_O

·
Registered
474 Posts
@James McKinney - Agree, and no they won't last as long ( well we don't know how long the polaris one will last). But at that price point I don't care. I will most likely want to upgrade technology in a couple of years anyway so I kinda don't want it to last. LOL

·
Registered
503 Posts
@James McKinney - Agree, and no they won't last as long ( well we don't know how long the polaris one will last). But at that price point I don't care. I will most likely want to upgrade technology in a couple of years anyway so I kinda don't want it to last. LOL
I am on the search along with a forward curb sensor- I did find one for corvettes that might work- will let you know.

·
Registered
508 Posts
How can you be sure it will hold up to exposure to water and elements?
The unit itself is not a marine grade double din. I am going to try to use the Polaris 1000 RZR stereo cubby. Hope it works with lot of cutting and sealing with caulking. Not a simple project working with double din.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
The pods have a 1" and 3.5" and 5.25" I managed to get a 4" and a 5.25 JL C2 in them.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Love your stereo setup. I know that you have only purchase the speaker shells. Would you happen to know if the SL stock speaker are components? Meaning that have a separate box for cross-over or do they individually each have a cross over? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
The pods have a 1" and 3.5" and 5.25" I managed to get a 4" and a 5.25 JL C2 in them.

Did you have to do anything to make the deeper speakers fit correctly?

Also ~ what are the depth of the JL speakers you installed?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts