Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we've seen a lot of discussions around the handling and acceleration of these vehicles.

Like everything - it's all relative.

So, I'd like to start a thread of those who already have and have driven the SS and how it compares to other vehicles. Specifically, cars. Not motorcycles. I know we have that debate, but these and motorcycles are two different animals. The SS is effectively a 3 wheeled car.

Guys like me who are coming from a Lotus Elise are most likely going to be disappointed in the handling (if it's a fair comparison) and a guy coming from a Z06 Vette will be disappointed with the torque and or throttle response. Guys that track cars and/or karts will have that perspective. Guys who are 65 and drive a Ford F150 as a daily and just bought the SS to cruise around on Sunday afternoons will have that perspective. Even in the motorcycle world, you've got the um 'rotund' old timers cruising their Gullwings at 20 mph below the speed limit and then you've got the Ducati guys blasting country roads at 130mph. The context is relevant.

So, share your thoughts but provide your baseline and comparison:

- What you are comparing the handling and acceleration to - i.e., a Vette, a Viper, a Prius.
- What type of driving you'll most likely be doing - Sunday cruises? Track days? Spirited drives on country roads? Zombie apocalypse transport?

I think this will be a good gauge for us.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Ok, we've seen a lot of discussions around the handling and acceleration of these vehicles.

So, I'd like to start a thread of those who already have and have driven the SS and how it compares to other vehicles. Specifically, cars. Not motorcycles. I know we have that debate, but these and motorcycles are two different animals. The SS is effectively a 3 wheeled car.

Guys like me who are coming from a Lotus Elise are most likely going to be disappointed in the handling (if it's a fair comparison) and a guy coming from a Z06 Vette will be disappointed with the torque and or throttle response. Guys that track cars and/or karts will have that perspective. Guys who are 65 and drive a Ford F150 as a daily and just bought the SS to cruise around on Sunday afternoons will have that perspective. Even in the motorcycle world, you've got the um 'rotund' old timers cruising their Gullwings at 20 mph below the speed limit and then you've got the Ducati guys blasting country roads at 130mph. The context is relevant.

- What you are comparing the handling and acceleration to - i.e., a Vette, a Viper, a Prius.
- What type of driving you'll most likely be doing - Sunday cruises? Track days? Spirited drives on country roads? Zombie apocalypse transport?

I have a Hennessey viper. Torque up the yingyang. The SS is a blast. Torque comparison is apples to oranges. Let me just say I am glad I had my helmet on the first time I jammed it through the gears. Head slammed against the seat. Acceleration great for 2.4 E. Don't think I will take it to the track. I tear to much sh^% up there. Will cruise every day and maybe a Zombie apocalypse transport. (If I knew what it was)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, a Hennessy Viper? That thing has to be a beast. Glad to hear about the torque. That was the one knock on my Lotus. Supercharged 1.8L engine - specs said 4.2-4 secs, but never felt that fast. Pulled nicely between 2/3 and 3/4, but always lacked that low end torque seat of pants feel. Glad to hear it's there from someone who understands torque in a proper performance vehicle. Will be very interested to see when these cars get turbos or SCs. N/A is cool, but the sound of a turbo spooling or SC whine is just heavenly!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey there Swinglo....
I'm 63 years old, rotund ( never had a Ford F-150....yet...LOL!) and just sold my much loved 1997 Honda CBR XX Super Blackbird last year. Only sold her as my garage was getting much too full and have been sorry ever since! I had her up to 162 miles an hour by the tach and as quick as I could glance, also by the speedo . That's 9000 RPM's at 18 miles per 1000 RPM in 6th gear. Old, rotund and....FAST.....LOL! Thanks for all of your great posts!

PS Garage almost empty now except for my Spyder....had to make room for the hopefully, soon-coming Slingshot!

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Forgot....happens when ya get old......
As I replied to Mike MTL's post about A.S.F.A (Addicted (to) Slingshot Forums Association), I spent 27 years (corrected from 24 years on that reply) of my life as a useless, worthless and hopeless alkie. Alkie at 14 and sober at 41. NOW is when I'm enjoying...and gonna REMEMBER the toys, that I don't remember enjoying as a kid! I had them, just don't remember them due to the alcoholic fog........

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys - good stuff.

See - I like this. It's good to get people's perspectives. These are really interesting vehicles in that, yes they are niche, but they draw from such a vast range of 'enthusiasts'. In the Lotus community, everyone was straight out of central casting.

When I get my SS and organize a nice spirited drive in my neck of the woods, I'm sure we'll get all types - include all you fat old guys! :)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts

I hate to confuse the issue here on the subject: Is it a car with one less wheel, or is it a motorcycle with one extra wheel. My take is it's more lik a unicycle with training wheels and man can it haul the mail!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Wow, a Hennessy Viper? That thing has to be a beast. Glad to hear about the torque. That was the one knock on my Lotus. Supercharged 1.8L engine - specs said 4.2-4 secs, but never felt that fast. Pulled nicely between 2/3 and 3/4, but always lacked that low end torque seat of pants feel. Glad to hear it's there from someone who understands torque in a proper performance vehicle. Will be very interested to see when these cars get turbos or SCs. N/A is cool, but the sound of a turbo spooling or SC whine is just heavenly!
just like the stock vipers, it needs exhaust sound improvement. I put Borla catback on and it was just fine not too loud definitely a girrrŕrrr

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Easy.

It's a car - with 3 wheels. The only thing 'motorcycle' about it is the fact that the wheel is driven by a belt. Oh and the way it's registered (but that's just Gub'mint stuff).

Side by side and you sit IN it - you don't rod ON it.
Steering wheel, not bars
Seats, not saddle
Car engine
Car transmission
Three pedals operated by the feet

So everything about this - seating arrangement, steering, power train, transmission - makes it a car. A car with three wheels.

Hell, even the Morgan is considered a car and not a motorcycle and that has a motorcycle engine!

·
Registered
362 Posts
My perspective: First, the more WE call it, or refer to it as a car, the sooner some idiots will start requiring car safety standards, regulations, the other crap that follows, and cause us all problems. It meets the legal definition of a motorcycle in most states, so it is a motorcycle. So enough of that, please.

The handling and stability of the SS is more like a cross between an ATV, a cruiser motorcycle, a go-cart, and a snowmobile. Add in the higher top end speed (with motorcycle and some snowmobile exceptions) and it is a creature unlike any other. If you are expecting a high end vehicle for the price of an SS, then you will be disappointed. That is not what this machine is, nor was it supposed to be.

I couldn't be more happy with mine. I have always played hard with ATVs, snowmobiles, and street bikes. A few years ago I suffered a life threatening injury/illness. Because of that my riding days were mostly eliminated. I was required to medically retire from work, and completely change my life. I missed riding my toys, and had lots of time to do nothing. My life quality sucked. I was looking at either a Harley trike, a Victory trike kit, or a Spider. Now I have this. I can get back out having fun again, doing what I love.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
My perspective: First, the more WE call it, or refer to it as a car, the sooner some idiots will start requiring car safety standards, regulations, the other crap that follows, and cause us all problems. It meets the legal definition of a motorcycle in most states, so it is a motorcycle. So enough of that, please.

The handling and stability of the SS is more like a cross between an ATV, a cruiser motorcycle, a go-cart, and a snowmobile. Add in the higher top end speed (with motorcycle and some snowmobile exceptions) and it is a creature unlike any other. If you are expecting a high end vehicle for the price of an SS, then you will be disappointed. That is not what this machine is, nor was it supposed to be.

I couldn't be more happy with mine. I have always played hard with ATVs, snowmobiles, and street bikes. A few years ago I suffered a life threatening injury/illness. Because of that my riding days were mostly eliminated. I was required to medically retire from work, and completely change my life. I missed riding my toys, and had lots of time to do nothing. My life quality sucked. I was looking at either a Harley trike, a Victory trike kit, or a Spider. Now I have this. I can get back out having fun again, doing what I love.

Good for you, Saul

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Glad to hear you are doing well. Scary stuff. I'd imagine this bad boy puts a smile on your face and makes life happier. That's what toys like this are all about!!

One question though - have you ever driven 'handling' cars and/or lighter weight rear wheel drive manual cars? I ask because people are comparing it to other Polaris-type vehicles, but I'm curious to how it compares to rear wheel drive roadsters (which is really what it is). I'd expect less grip because of the single rear tire. Any time one talks about a lighter weight rear wheel drive (often mid engine) roadster, the term 'go cart' is always used. If this gives a go cart handling vibe, I'm all in baby!

I've driven my share of snowmobiles and to hear that it has a vibe like that kinda scares me! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Glad to hear you are doing well. Scary stuff. I'd imagine this bad boy puts a smile on your face and makes life happier. That's what toys like this are all about!!

One question though - have you ever driven 'handling' cars and/or lighter weight rear wheel drive manual cars? I ask because people are comparing it to other Polaris-type vehicles, but I'm curious to how it compares to rear wheel drive roadsters (which is really what it is). I'd expect less grip because of the single rear tire. Any time one talks about a lighter weight rear wheel drive (often mid engine) roadster, the term 'go cart' is always used. If this gives a go cart handling vibe, I'm all in baby!

I've driven my share of snowmobiles and to hear that it has a vibe like that kinda scares me! :)

I think you're going to love it then. I have a viper and have driven fast go carts and I put this right in the middle. There are some nice country roads with great curves between my house and the dealership. On Monday, when the dealership was closed but were receiving the SS, I was pumped up on my drive over to watch them unload my newest toy, and was really pushing the viper through some of those curves. On Tuesday, I drove for the first time those same curves in the SS and had the feeling of a go cart, where you can't take the curves too fast. It was a blast.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
I too have had many vehicles and fun in them which makes this difficult. I recently released a GT500 Vert back into the wild so I will use that as a comparison of sorts...

The power is interestingly similar in that it is difficult to put down all the power to the rear wheel(s). Obviously the Shelby feels more like bending space and time vs. the SS bending the wind but they have similar limitations.

The handling on the SS is alright and the brakes suck. The steering is more limited than I thought it would be. The fit and finish was miles better on the "pony car" which incidentally was criticized for it's rawness as well (this was the last generation - a 2012).

The SS seats also suck - they need WAY more lateral support. They give too easily and don't hold much in the turns. They are comfy but they moved many, many spots up the list to get replaced. The chairs (Recaro's) in the Shelby are sublime. For my medium sized frame they were by far the best seats I have ever sat in. The SS will get similar ones.

But really, none of that matters - to be quite honest - because of one HUGE difference...

I bought the Shelby thinking I would do some mods and updates but found that it was nearly perfect straight from the factory - sound, seats, performance, looks, comfort, etc. When I look at the SS all I see is a monstrous blank canvas to play on. With the 40k difference in price between the two, I will add the seats I want, the power I want, the wheels, the tires, sound, lighting, paint, suspension, and on, and on. It gets me utterly jazzed to just think of the possibilities. I now know what the old hot-rodders in the 50s and 60s were thinking the first time they laid eyes on their first Deuce Coupe.

I have restored many (pretty sweet) cars in my life but they never made me feel like a composer putting pen to paper or a slugger stepping up to the plate or a master sculptor sitting in front of a block of marble. The Slingshot scratches an itch none before have been able to reach.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Here's my quick down and dirty. Comparing to an 04 Corvette

The SS is quick , but not stupid fast. You can light the rear tire up on command in the first three gears either by pure acceleration or cheating a lil with the clutch. It'll jump out there, but lacks the feeling of Torque that something like a Corvette or other big motor car gives... but.. that's not why I bought it..

I bought if for the twisties and that's where this thing rules. I've thrown this into tight corners .. when that yellow warning sign says 30, I"m pushing into the corner at 70. And it has more to give. Where the Vette feels like I'm working to make these corners, they SS acts as if it's got glue on it's tires. Its nothing short of weird.. and .. awesome...

I don't need more power.. but.. have to admit, when the kits become available I'll probably go down that path? Why? I love the feeling of true torque in a motor.... and that is lacking.. but.. it's not.. because, it's not needed.. I just want it ..

Make sense? lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think you're going to love it then. I have a viper and have driven fast go carts and I put this right in the middle. There are some nice country roads with great curves between my house and the dealership. On Monday, when the dealership was closed but were receiving the SS, I was pumped up on my drive over to watch them unload my newest toy, and was really pushing the viper through some of those curves. On Tuesday, I drove for the first time those same curves in the SS and had the feeling of a go cart, where you can't take the curves too fast. It was a blast.
Where in Ga do you live?

1 - 20 of 110 Posts