Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I like the dip better than a wrap, the nice thing about dip is if you scuff it, you just spray over it, you scuff a wrap and your screwed.
I'm liking the new spray also. It re-absorbes the new paint when you spray another coat. It just absorbs itself.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
That is funny. Its actually the gray. Its just the light that made it look funny.

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,704 Posts
Hey Rab, I caught your hood pics on the other thread(EDIT: now this Thread). Looks great. I was wondering if the Plasti Dip where the black inserts go could be an issue? Do you feel the 3m tape to secure the inserts won't pull on the Plasti Dip at speed? Is it harder to pull loose than you make it look?

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Hey Rab, I caught your hood pics on the other thread(EDIT: now this Thread). Looks great. I was wondering if the Plasti Dip where the black inserts go could be an issue? Do you feel the 3m tape to secure the inserts won't pull on the Plasti Dip at speed? Is it harder to pull loose than you make it look?
Im not putting the double sided tape back on. That stuff is evil. If the multitude of screws can't hold it down we have a problem. I think they got a deal on some double sided tape and just said screw it and used it on the slingshot

Ill probably change the color of it every few months. Especially since I have figured out how to apply it.

·
3,704 Posts
Im not putting the double sided tape back on. That stuff is evil. If the multitude of screws can't hold it down we have a problem. I think they got a deal on some double sided tape and just said screw it and used it on the slingshot

Ill probably change the color of it every few months. Especially since I have figured out how to apply it.
Oh, those six holes are for screws? I thought from most other posts regarding the inserts that they were only held on by tape. Thanks for the info. And with your new gun, like you said, its just the cost of Plati Dip from here on out. Very nice job on all you have been doing.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
That Blue is nice.
I was thinking about dipping w/o disassembling everything, simply taping over the accent strips to leave them their native "matt dark" color. Based on your dipping experience, do you think this approach would work?

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
That Blue is nice.
I was thinking about dipping w/o disassembling everything, simply taping over the accent strips to leave them their native "matt dark" color. Based on your dipping experience, do you think this approach would work?
It could. But you would have to be quick with peeling the tape. Once it starts to dry you can't Peel it any more.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Looks good, if you don't mind saying, how much material did it take, and what was the cost? Minus the sprayer.
It was $55 a gallon and I really didn't waste much. It will take 3 gallons to give everything good coverage. And you don't have to prime with another color because its gray already. So for less than 200.00 you can change the color.

I'm not sure how I'm going to get out of the SS because I always put my hand on the console and one on the wing and pick myself up. I'm wondering how well its going to hold up.

·
3,704 Posts
It was $55 a gallon and I really didn't waste much. It will take 3 gallons to give everything good coverage. And you don't have to prime with another color because its gray already. So for less than 200.00 you can change the color.

I'm not sure how I'm going to get out of the SS because I always put my hand on the console and one on the wing and pick myself up. I'm wondering how well its going to hold up.
Maybe you can spray those with a clear coat. since the Plati Dip doesn't fully adhere, and the clear would be on the Plasti Dip, it may help with durability. Just a thought. As always "test in a discreet area before spraying the whole thing":)

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Maybe you can spray those with a clear coat. since the Plati Dip doesn't fully adhere, and the clear would be on the Plasti Dip, it may help with durability. Just a thought. As always "test in a discreet area before spraying the whole thing":)
They don't recommend spraying automotive clears on it. Not sure why. I'm guessing it wont allow the rubber dip to stretch and breath. However they offer a pearlizer and a glossifier to top coat with.

·
3,704 Posts
They don't recommend spraying automotive clears on it. Not sure why. I'm guessing it wont allow the rubber dip to stretch and breath. However they offer a pearlizer and a glossifier to top coat with.
Do you think that clear adhesive protector like Slingmods has for the frame would work for you? I've never used Plasti Dip, so I am not sure how durable or adhesive friendly it is. Just trying to help. You are great at mods, you could mount an egress assist bar to the center console and left upper hip area of the driver.:D And become a vendor.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Do you think that clear adhesive protector like Slingmods has for the frame would work for you? I've never used Plasti Dip, so I am not sure how durable or adhesive friendly it is. Just trying to help. You are great at mods, you could mount an egress assist bar to the center console and left upper hip area of the driver.:D And become a vendor.
I have some 3M clear bra material. I may stick that to the areas I touch.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts