Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone,
After a long look out (1.5 years) for a Polaris Slingshot compliant to european legislation (all Canada and USA models can not be registered in Europe since not compliant to local rules and laws, especially the models with center light), I will purchase in two weeks a SL 2017 model adapted and distributed by Polaris in Europe (New model 2020 is not sold yet in Europe).
I have read a lot of posts (on this forum and others) on the checklist to follow, maintenance to be done, customization possible over the last months to make sure I know at least some basics.

By the way, I'm living in France, next to Paris, not the best location for the slingshot but it's a vehicle as formal motorbike driver I'm looking for very long, so it will be a good anticipated christmas gift :cool::D:D:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

:):cool:

Hello, here are the pictures of the Slingshot SL for long desired and now owned.

The rear wheel is to be replaced, some cleaning is needed and outside the noise of the gearcase (like for many and for which i need to find a noise reduction solution), no problems noticed till now.:):cool:

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Congrats! None of the pictures show anything outside the norm. The leak in the Angle Drive doesn't look too bad to me. I'd assume it's just the seal at the drain bolt and I don't remember if it has a washer on the bolt, but if you can locate a crush washer that fits the Drain Bolt, it might stop the leak. Many owners have switched to RedLine Heavy Shockproof (https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-58204-Heavy-ShockProof/dp/B000CPI5XW/?th=1) or used an additive to improve it's viscosity range and have noticed a difference in the Angle Drive noise level. I didn't find it listed when I searched Amazon Europe or Amazon UK, but it might be available at Harley Davidson shops since it's popular with owners of older H-D bikes with noisy transmissions. The RedLine Oil website says not to use it in transmissions with synchros, but it works fine in non-synchro gear boxes or differentials such as the angle drive. See - Heavy ShockProof® for more info.
Try this Forum search for info on angle drive noise solutions - Search results for query: angle drive noise.
Some folks with experience rebuilding differentials have rebuilt their Angle Drives and reported additional shims reduce noise.
Here's a search from another popular Slingshot forum - https://slingshotinfo.com/wcf/index.php?search-result/71680/&highlight=angle+drive+noise.
The 2.4L Ecotec engine and 5-speed transmission has been used in many different GM vehicles over the years such as the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky and the Chevrolet Cobalt and I'd imagine has also been used in some of GM's overseas divisions, too. You may find less expensive parts if you can find out which vehicles in your country used the same engine or transmission.
Good Luck in resolving any issues you feel you need to address and I hope you enjoy your Slingshot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats! None of the pictures show anything outside the norm. The leak in the Angle Drive doesn't look too bad to me. I'd assume it's just the seal at the drain bolt and I don't remember if it has a washer on the bolt, but if you can locate a crush washer that fits the Drain Bolt, it might stop the leak. Many owners have switched to RedLine Heavy Shockproof (https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-58204-Heavy-ShockProof/dp/B000CPI5XW/?th=1) or used an additive to improve it's viscosity range and have noticed a difference in the Angle Drive noise level. I didn't find it listed when I searched Amazon Europe or Amazon UK, but it might be available at Harley Davidson shops since it's popular with owners of older H-D bikes with noisy transmissions. The RedLine Oil website says not to use it in transmissions with synchros, but it works fine in non-synchro gear boxes or differentials such as the angle drive. See - Heavy ShockProof® for more info.
Try this Forum search for info on angle drive noise solutions - Search results for query: angle drive noise.
Some folks with experience rebuilding differentials have rebuilt their Angle Drives and reported additional shims reduce noise.
Here's a search from another popular Slingshot forum - https://slingshotinfo.com/wcf/index.php?search-result/71680/&highlight=angle+drive+noise.
The 2.4L Ecotec engine and 5-speed transmission has been used in many different GM vehicles over the years such as the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky and the Chevrolet Cobalt and I'd imagine has also been used in some of GM's overseas divisions, too. You may find less expensive parts if you can find out which vehicles in your country used the same engine or transmission.
Good Luck in resolving any issues you feel you need to address and I hope you enjoy your Slingshot.
Hello,
I will do an angle drive fluid change with your recommandation (using the redline) by following the tutorial online, just by safety :
Regarding the spare parts for maintenance, I found equivalent products (same oen references) since like you said GM has sold cars in europe with this engine model (Opel GT etc):

For the angle drive, I noticed the Redline was 75W90 and within the service manual i have it's 80W90.
I didn't found the washer reference but only the draining plug : Socket Head with Mag Plug, 18 mm x 1.5 mm, Part 3234756
For the washers, I will look again deeper if in the forum, people have found a local solution (European i mean).

After a bit of cleaning, the bottom is approximately clean, I will keep an eye within the next days to check if again the fluid is spilling out slowly.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
The Redline Heavy shockproof is not the only alternative lube. Royal Purple has also been used by folks who like it. The thing I like about the Redline Heavy Shockproof is it's reputation for quieting noisy Harley-Davidson gears and as the website says "Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90." I can understand your concerns about using a out-of-soec lube. I am finishing up swapping my original Angle Drive for a brand-new unit and I noticed how thin the lube seemed to be when I opened the shipping box and saw that the lube had leaked out of the top vent during shipping (it must have spent some time on its side or upside down). Some manufacturers use a lighter lube for breakin periods before switching to a heavier lube after breakin, but Polaris hasn't. I still plan on draining out the lube that came in the Angle Drive since some of it has already leaked out and will use either the Redline, Royal Purple or something similar, depending on what I have in my garage. Some folks have tried tilting the Slingshot so the Angle Drive fill hole is a little higher and will accept a little more lube, but I have also read that using too much lube is also not a good idea. I recommend using a small plastic tube that can be inserted past the gear just inside the fill hole. The Angle Drive is supposed to be full when lube starts coming out of the fill hole, but I learned the hard way that the lube can hit against the gear and immediately spill out of the fill hole even though the Angle Drive still doesn't have enough lube. I ended up driving it for a couple thousand miles before realizing it was not full and my Angle Drive got really noisy, so I replaced it with a new, quiet one.
Glad you were able to find some local sources for oil filter, spark plugs, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts