Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
WJ,
Looking at both sides, I believe you are right in realizing what makes a SS a SS and why folks buy it.
While I would like a turbo from the factory, I believe that to be profitable the SS needs to keep the cost down to appeal to most folks or return to its' roots as you say.
When compared to motorcycles in general the SS is an expensive bike!
I do not think that there is a market for a SS over 30K and think your assessment is absolutely correct....

·
Registered
589 Posts
"I don't know, $35k puts you SQUARELY in the price range of some serious performance vehicles."

I believe that it is that kind of thinking that will ultimately kill the SlingShot. Remember, the SlingShot was conceived, manufactured, and originally marketed, as a MOTORCYCLE, or at least a motorcycle alternative, I do not believe that it was ever intended to compete in the muscle car market.Those of us that purchased the SlingShot as a motorcycle alternative understand and accept it's differences/ limitations, where those that are trying to convert the SlingShot into something it wasn't designed, a muscle car, appear to be those that are the most disappointed, discontent and/or critical of it. I believe that Polaris needs to return the SlingShot to it's roots if it is going to have any hope for survival.

Bill
Bill, You need to leave Oregon and take a ride to the east coast or perhaps the west coast. I understand you like the base model and respect your wishes on that level. The aspect of MODS on both the east and west coast set the trend, the demand and the marketing for future Slingshot models. Any company that lends a deaf ear to what the consumer wants, will end up defunct. The people in the great EXCITED states of America want innovation, change and yes, the ability to make theirs different.

·
Registered
388 Posts
yes and the Slingshot is competitively priced against all motorcycles in or near its class. Can Am has had no problem selling well over 100,000 units now given their head start in the reverse trike industry , and is only very slightly less expensive while the Slingshot IMHO. offers far more vehicle for very little more money.

Then there is always the trikes that some people consider competition to the Slingshot , one only has to look closely at what Harley offers and sells well, in that category at far, far , far more money and again IMHO, far less vehicle too.

So while we would all love to see lower prices The industry trends predict otherwise , and when considered in that scenario, again IMHO, Polaris can hold their head high as far as, industry bang for the buck, pricing and Quality.

Currently a proud, Slingshot owner, hoping to die someday a Slinghsot owner !

·
Registered
573 Posts
Interesting points of view are what makes things interesting. Each has their own opinion and I think both are correct from their point of view. I personally, would like the SS to stay close to the current price however, I would like to see the aftermarket continue for those who want to mod their vehicle to add to its' our unique appeal. Having bikes reflect their owners' personal tastes has always been part of the bike culture.
However, I can not speak for Polaris and have no idea what they will do.....

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Bill, You need to leave Oregon and take a ride to the east coast or perhaps the west coast. I understand you like the base model and respect your wishes on that level. The aspect of MODS on both the east and west coast set the trend, the demand and the marketing for future Slingshot models. Any company that lends a deaf ear to what the consumer wants, will end up defunct. The people in the great EXCITED states of America want innovation, change and yes, the ability to make theirs different.
LOL, Kevin, you are sooooooooooooooooooo funny! :)

1) We own an SL, not a base model.
2) We have added aftermarket mods to our SlingShot.
3) As far as I know, I done do believe that Oregon is still a coastal state?
4) I may be wrong, but when I look at a map, I done do believe that all of that large area in between those two coasts also are a part of these United States?

(Maybe it is you, Kevin, that needs to get out more to see that there is much more world than just New Jersey?)

:D

Now, back to what I really said: "Those of us that purchased the SlingShot as a motorcycle alternative (seem to) understand and accept it's differences/ limitations, where those that are trying to convert the SlingShot into something it wasn't designed, a muscle car, appear to be those that are the most disappointed, discontent and/or critical of it."

Just reflecting what I have witnessed so far, Kevin! :)

Bill

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,158 Posts

That there is TOO funny.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Sirs, Well said on all fronts.
I guess we will have to wait until at least July to see what Polaris does.....Let the betting and opinions begin....

·
Registered
164 Posts
I for one look at the slingshot as an alternative to my again sports bike. When I look at replacing that sports bike with a new model it is about 16K, I then started looking at the SL models and making that 8K jump was easy peasy and I don't have to come home after a long ride sore and worn out anymore. I am not looking for a car, I have 3 of those already. I am looking to replace my toy, my bike. We have since talked ourselves up models to get the one with all the goodies we want, I have no knowledge or interest in wrenching on things so mods aren't for me beyond something small and simple. I know there are lots of people that love to fab their own mods and work on these things constantly and that is fine for them, enjoy it to the fullest. I simply want to hit the button on the garage door, start it up, and go out for the day. Not sure you'll ever get everybody to agree but that is also what makes this country what it is, opinions are welcome and good for all.

·
Registered
589 Posts
:D

Now, back to what I really said: "Those of us that purchased the SlingShot as a motorcycle alternative (seem to) understand and accept it's differences/ limitations, where those that are trying to convert the SlingShot into something it wasn't designed, a muscle car, appear to be those that are the most disappointed, discontent and/or critical of it."

Just reflecting what I have witnessed so far, Kevin! :)

Bill

[/QUOTE]
Bill,

You're right, maybe it is me, I am aware where Oregon is, when we talk of the west coast generally we think of California, you know LA or San Fran, not Portland,.The east coast is usually thought of as NJ and NY although from Florida and north is the east coast. We think of Florida as south. I guess that's just the way America views it too. I know there are 50 states but Oregon is not the hippest place in America. No disrespect to your venue, it is just that the Slingshot is omnipresent on the east coast. They are a fad here and everyone wants one even if they can't afford it. The guys in Cali are the most motivated for customization in the entire nation. They do cars, bikes, truck and just about anything that rolls. The east coast admires and will either emulate or try to out do the west coast. That's just the way it is.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I for one look at the slingshot as an alternative to my again sports bike. When I look at replacing that sports bike with a new model it is about 16K, I then started looking at the SL models and making that 8K jump was easy peasy and I don't have to come home after a long ride sore and worn out anymore. I am not looking for a car, I have 3 of those already. I am looking to replace my toy, my bike. We have since talked ourselves up models to get the one with all the goodies we want, I have no knowledge or interest in wrenching on things so mods aren't for me beyond something small and simple. I know there are lots of people that love to fab their own mods and work on these things constantly and that is fine for them, enjoy it to the fullest. I simply want to hit the button on the garage door, start it up, and go out for the day. Not sure you'll ever get everybody to agree but that is also what makes this country what it is, opinions are welcome and good for all.
I understand your point...and the manufactures do as well. Its clearly cheaper to get some of these things yourself..but you pay for the ease.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I could be wrong but I thought the slingshot shared the same engine as the Chevy Cruz and Saturn Solstice? Now with Chevy shutting down the Cruz production plant in Lordstown Ohio and Saturn out of business wonder how this affects the slingshot powerplant when the contract runs out? Are there other Cruse productions plants in use?
I like the engine as is combustion, manual/stick. May be a prime candidate for an electric engine although I believe it would place the weight far above weight standards.

·
Registered
44 Posts
OK, I saw what I think might be a 2020 Slingshot. Was driving home, in the outskirts of the Metro PHX area, at night and came up on a Slingshot with Minnesota plates. It was filthy and being followed by 2 motorcycles, with reflective jackets on. It was dark and I could not get a good look, but sounded much different, much more quite. It also had 1 LED light bar instead of center headlights. Taillights and tub appear the same. Anybody else seen anything?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I really don't think so. I am in the automotive industry and think it was a test vehicle. I have seen many modified Slings. I was a very similar to situation when a Manufacturer tests a vehicle prior to release.

·
Vendor
2,226 Posts
I really don't think so. I am in the automotive industry and think it was a test vehicle. I have seen many modified Slings. I was a very similar to situation when a Manufacturer tests a vehicle prior to release.
Could be a text vehicle, did it have the white and black camo? Often times they test vehicles away from production plants. For example we are in southern california but have been seeing the Mk5 Supra driving around in camo and manufacturer plates for the past few months. Also did the same when Rolls Royce was testing the Cullinan, tons of test mules in SoCal!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts