Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Looks like you removed the right side panel completely to remove and install, is that correct? I have read where the complete removal may not be necessary. Am wanting to gut the Cat on my Slingshot.
Yes, you can get away with unscrewing the 4 screws at the front of the fender and then one upper and lower toward the firewall. You can then pull the fender enough to get the muffler off (3 bolts and 2 springs). I had originally wrapped the muffler and I had to pull the fender off to get it back on. It's maybe 15-20 minutes more work, not that tough

·
Registered
117 Posts
Looks like you removed the right side panel completely to remove and install, is that correct? I have read where the complete removal may not be necessary. Am wanting to gut the Cat on my Slingshot.
You don't need to remove side panel,I'm pretty sure it was flybuddy who posted pic of bolts to remove.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Yes, you can get away with unscrewing the 4 screws at the front of the fender and then one upper and lower toward the firewall. You can then pull the fender enough to get the muffler off (3 bolts and 2 springs). I had originally wrapped the muffler and I had to pull the fender off to get it back on. It's maybe 15-20 minutes more work, not that tough
Thanks Flybuddy, looks like a project coming up in the next weekend or two.

·
Registered
87 Posts
For those that have removed the cat, have you noticed any difference in the heat in the passenger compartment? This was mentioned as a potential benefit earlier in the thread but has not come up since.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hate to say BUT I don't think this is a real benefit. The muff is so close to the exhaust manifold that the improvement in freeflow is moving that flamefront further and negating the missing hot converter section. Overall less heat in the pipe but the muffler is as hot as ever. Consider getting the muffler and pipe ceramic coated while off. Exhaust wrap with stainless safety wire is another option.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Drove over and met Mark at "Slingshot Mod Shop" here in Connecticut. Great guy, with some wicked products and new items he's working on. Saw the trailer hitch he's working on, and also the flanges for the replacement cat pipe. He said he's about 2 weeks out from having the pipes completed to sell. They stay very busy in the jetski world, and hasn't had the time to devote to wrapping things up on his latest Slingshot projects. Their website will be updated shortly to show all that they will offer. But the pipe is imminent, for those that don't want to "gut" the the cat out of the stock one.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Drove over and met Mark at "Slingshot Mod Shop" here in Connecticut. Great guy, with some wicked products and new items he's working on. Saw the trailer hitch he's working on, and also the flanges for the replacement cat pipe. He said he's about 2 weeks out from having the pipes completed to sell. They stay very busy in the jetski world, and hasn't had the time to devote to wrapping things up on his latest Slingshot projects. Their website will be updated shortly to show all that they will offer. But the pipe is imminent, for those that don't want to "gut" the the cat out of the stock one.
Did the folks at Slingshot Mod Shop give a ball park price on the replacement cat pipe?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Slingshot Mod Shop, I've had problems with their website. It opens up but you can't view most of their products. I contacted them, told me they will get that problem fixed.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I asked him for a ballpark price, but he didn't have one. I'm guessing it's because they haven't assembled one yet. They are still fabricating the components for production. He promised to update their website, cuz it's pretty weak at this point. If I don't see it posted in the next couple weeks, I'll take another ride over there. He's also going to have a silicone hose kit in various colors. It replaces every rubber hose under the hood. He had a blue set on the SL they have in the shop. Blue isn't my thing on a Red Slingshot, but the effect is going to be awesome no matter what color one might choose!! The place is no joke. They have 3 or 4 big buildings that make up their operation. Very impressive.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Thanks ConnMan. They seem to have some good ideas, am very interested in some of their products but gathering more information about their products is difficult. Hopefully they will get their website up and running sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hate to say BUT I don't think this is a real benefit. The muff is so close to the exhaust manifold that the improvement in freeflow is moving that flamefront further and negating the missing hot converter section. Overall less heat in the pipe but the muffler is as hot as ever. Consider getting the muffler and pipe ceramic coated while off. Exhaust wrap with stainless safety wire is another option.
Thanks, Flybuddy. So, is heat reduction the primary benefit of the ceramic coating? I had thought it was more of an aesthetic thing.

Can anyone that has ceramic coated their muffler & pipe comment on any change in heat transferred to the passenger compartment area?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Thanks, Flybuddy. So, is heat reduction the primary benefit of the ceramic coating? I had thought it was more of an aesthetic thing.

Can anyone that has ceramic coated their muffler & pipe comment on any change in heat transferred to the passenger compartment area?
It does keep more heat in and supposedly going out the pipe. I've had aircraft pipes done before and IR tested them. They were significantly cooler then uncoated.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well I completed my cat delete and wish to thank all who lead me down this path. Everything is mucho better:woot:
Muffler comes off pretty easy (after you've done it once). I had pulled mine a 2nd time when I found a similar post on coating and found a local shop. One thing I found to make spring removal a snap is to use the hook shaped tool from harbor freight. Takes about one minute to remove or install all springs with it, just hook and pull.
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-pick-and-hook-set-66836.html
Any issue with the fume odor for you or your passenger now that its removed?

·
Registered
873 Posts
I just finished the same mod, emptying the cat. It was the 1st time I did this, and found its real hard work... lol. I wouldn't do it again tbh.

As far as pros and cons, the sound is a littre bit higher on idle but not that much. It does seem like there is a more noticable fuel smell especially when the engine is cold, nothing too apparent but it is there. Performance wise, the engine does feel more responsive. I wouldn't say its more powerfull, but I can def say that it pulls faster especially at low RPM, it doesn't feel like its bogging until 3200 rpm like it did before.

As far as sound goes, I would say its very similar, but a little more "raspy" if I had to invent a term for it. It sound the same as it did, but at wot it sounds less like a high powered vaccum cleaner and had a little more of a grunt.

Overall a lot of time and effort, not so sure its worth it imo, but if you have time to kill... :)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
I just finished the same mod, emptying the cat. It was the 1st time I did this, and found its real hard work... lol. I wouldn't do it again tbh.

As far as pros and cons, the sound is a littre bit higher on idle but not that much. It does seem like there is a more noticable fuel smell especially when the engine is cold, nothing too apparent but it is there. Performance wise, the engine does feel more responsive. I wouldn't say its more powerfull, but I can def say that it pulls faster especially at low RPM, it doesn't feel like its bogging until 3200 rpm like it did before.

As far as sound goes, I would say its very similar, but a little more "raspy" if I had to invent a term for it. It sound the same as it did, but at wot it sounds less like a high powered vaccum cleaner and had a little more of a grunt.

Overall a lot of time and effort, not so sure its worth it imo, but if you have time to kill... :)
Do you have a cai?
If not you will now need one. To really benefit from cat delete.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Any issue with the fume odor for you or your passenger now that its removed?
I don't see where it would make a diff, exhaust tip is in same spot. If you're referencing the lost interaction of the cat, neither gas is fit to breathe and, if anything, the exhaust from a nearby cat would have a more detectable odor. Anyway answer is no to any fumes.

·
Registered
873 Posts
After riding for a 120 km (in canada haha!) Today, I noticed that I don't have the engine coming close to stalling at red lights and stops. I changed my oil at the same time and put a KN filter in the airbox at the same time so maybe its just a fluk, but in 120 km it hasn't came close to stalling once, normally it did it every stop I did...

Reactions: xtreme2424

·
Registered
978 Posts
After riding for a 120 km (in canada haha!) Today, I noticed that I don't have the engine coming close to stalling at red lights and stops. I changed my oil at the same time and put a KN filter in the airbox at the same time so maybe its just a fluk, but in 120 km it hasn't came close to stalling once, normally it did it every stop I did...
Similar setup and experience, K&N in the stock box and cat mod, no longer rev hanging or pre-stalling.

121 - 140 of 147 Posts