Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Slingshot is categorized as a motorcycle, the 250 mile range is actually really good compared to your average motorcycle only having a 150 mile range. However, I was hoping for a better range in the 300 to 400 mile area.
They really pack the fuel tank in tight, but it sure looks like a guy could add a larger tank and extend the fuel range.

Polaris_Slingshot_Rear.jpg
Polaris_Slingshot_Rear2.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
That's plenty for me. But for some that will be for sure touring all the time.
Maybe take the passenger bin out. And make either one larger tank or a
2nd tank to switch too. Like a back up. Sure it would double the amount of
fuel to hold. Just takes away a storage space. But you could add it back on
the back.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Besides, more fuel stops = more "what is THAT?!?!" conversations. ;)
Ha, ha... yes that is true, but according to @Centhron that is what we will want to avoid!
Plus the way I will be driving it will be more like 100 miles but I suppose I will need a tire change anyways.:happy:

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've been curious about fuel economy. 25.5 is reasonable, considering how high the drag coefficient is compared to slippery-skinned automobiles. If you don't mind my asking....... how did you find out the 25.5 figure?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
In 'typical' use, 25.5 is probably realistic but I would have expected better for standard EPA ratings. Hmmm.... Do motorcycles even get EPA ratings? Never checked before ..

·
Registered
414 Posts
Since the Slingshot is categorized as a motorcycle, the 250 mile range is actually really good compared to your average motorcycle only having a 150 mile range. However, I was hoping for a better range in the 300 to 400 mile area.
They really pack the fuel tank in tight, but it sure looks like a guy could add a larger tank and extend the fuel range.
Funny, I just posted on this topic in another thread. Looks like I feel the same as most people here...250 mile range is fine. Anything less will be disappointing, but certainly not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Funny, I just posted on this topic in another thread. Looks like I feel the same as most people here...250 mile range is fine. Anything less will be disappointing, but certainly not a deal breaker.
I too think the 250 range is fine, but i'm guessing it will do a lot better. I saw your other post about the solstice, and I agree, with the loss in weight, the SS should do better. I had an 04 Cavalier LS Sport with the 2.2 ecotech engine, and it would easily get 37 on the highway, and weighed 900 lbs more. Hell, I could really granny it and get 42. Granted this is a bit larger motor, but I expect to see better than 25 out of the SS.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been curious about fuel economy. 25.5 is reasonable, considering how high the drag coefficient is compared to slippery-skinned automobiles. If you don't mind my asking....... how did you find out the 25.5 figure?
Just got to have a quick eye....Polaris gives the range right below the word "TANK".
Slingshot_fuel.jpg

·
Registered
212 Posts
remember if the range is 250 miles I believe that is based on highway mpg so the city mpg will probably be in the mid teens making this thing less fuel efficient then some trucks and most v8 muscle cars.

That doesnt mean much to me as its a toy but i certainly would have expected around v6 fuel eco, not v8 eco out of a 2.4

·
Registered
183 Posts
They aren't getting anymore power out of it than stock. So I am still going to
assume they will get over 30mpg with your foot out of it. I think the 250 is a
dumbed down number like the rest of the numbers have been.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
I wouldn't read too much into the Polaris numbers. They are going to be conservative for a reason. Wait until the Elio doesn't get 84mpg, for example, and doesn't get 5 star crash ratings.

So I am expecting at the low end in city driving maybe 23-26 mpg and 30-33 mpg on the highway. A Saturn Sky gets 19/25 and weighs 1200lbs more than the SS. Mind you, the Sky has the aerodynamics of a brick so the SS can't be any worse and I would bet the SS has a smaller frontal area as well. So drag should be a wash between the two.

An Ariel Atom with the supercharged 2.4 got about 30 on the highway based on real world driving from owners. I am guessing the SS will be very similar.

In the end I would expect up to 300 miles on a tank if you are traveling distances on the highway while you are touring. in the end, I am good whether its 250 or over 300. By comparison I get about 200 miles out of the GT500 before I have to refill so the SS will actually be an improvement in that area. :)

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Until I get to see one I still can't make a guess as to the Cd on the SS. It might be high enough to give it better city mpg than on the Hiway like some hybrids. Guessing, but it'll probably get the close to same mileage on both when driven like a typical car. But who's gonna do that :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Im getting ready to turn 55. And my body has been a bit beat up over the years. I will be ready to stop and walk around a bit long before a 250 mile stretch has been put in. A gass stop wont be a problem for me. And my wife always needs a restroom break anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Yeah, I know, the SS is an insanely expensive toy but Im able to afford it because I've always paid attention to recurring costs. Gas is a recurring cost and I'm thinking I'm going to want to drive this thing a Lot. So MPG is worth worrying about. By all logic, this thing should make 30+ mpg avg. when driven conservatively. Cripes!, my 3.0L Bimmer weighing exactly twice as much gets 31.

·
Registered
796 Posts
At speed, especially a constant one, weight is NOT much of a factor when calculating mpg. The drag coefficient is a HUGE factor. The vortexes created by the air filling and refilling the open air cockpit and behind that huge deck hovering above the rear tire will do a major nasty on mpg averages. Modern cars, by contrast, are super slippery and have the air move over and around them with very little vortexes created. For example... a 400-500 hp Corvette that weighs 3,000# cuts thru the air so well that they easily get 25 mpg at a constant highway speed.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts