Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I have a Base 2022 slingshot s tech package in order but here’s the thing, I got over zealous and actually ended up buying the 7 inch ride command screen while I wait for my vehicle to arrive! My question is, I want to be able to have steering wheel controls but as we know, the base doesn’t have the audio control buttons, my question is, can I just upgrade to the sl/r steering wheel and will it be plug and play with my vehicle once the 7 in ride comman screen is installed? Also, are the paddle shifters able to be added to the r steering wheel without adding the paddle shift module to the steering wheel?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd recommend contacting your dealer's parts people or the dealer's Service shop in hopes of finding an answer.
That’s the problem, I call Polaris directly and they tell me to call a dealer. Most dealers around me are standard motorcycle dealers that just happen to sell the slingshot but they are not experts on it per say sighs……

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
That’s the problem, I call Polaris directly and they tell me to call a dealer. Most dealers around me are standard motorcycle dealers that just happen to sell the slingshot but they are not experts on it per say sighs……
Since Dec 0f 2014 (when the Slingshot hit the street) the Slingshot owners have been teaching the dealers and dealer tech how to repair the Slingshots. I'm running a 2016 SL and we paid our dues on the educating the techs....still have to remind them once in a while. And I've got a great dealer and tech Neilsen's in Lake Villa, IL

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I am not familiar with the 2nd Gen options, but this is what I'd recommend trying (although it may require you to do some disassembly on your Slingshot. I think the key to figuring out if the SLR steering wheel will fit your S model is the clock-spring since that is the component that provides electrical connection from the steering wheel to the rest of the Slingshot. Remove the covers over the steering column immediately in front of the steering wheel and try to find the connector from the harness to the clock-spring. If it has several wires (a bunch) and not just 2 wires, then there's a good chance the R Steering wheel will fit. It's possible the R steering wheel uses some type of encoder allowing the steering wheel controls to be transmitted to the infotainment system via just a couple of wires, in which case, the connector would probably have the wires to carry the encoded signals and to power the horn, so maybe 4 wires. Unfortunately, the parts diagrams I've seen do not list any info on the clock-spring. There is a separate pn for the S steering wheel, but there is only one pn for the steering wheel wiring harness, so there may be a chance the R steering wheel may fit. The other question is the Infotainment wiring harness - It appears there are separate wiring harnesses for the S SL and R models based on the part numbers. Another option is to call the dealer and see if your can but the entire R Infotainment system. I'd hope that it would include everything needed to get it installed on the S model. If they tell you it won't fit, then it probably won't fit. In the past, Polaris has used one basic wiring harness for the Slingshot with sub-harnesses for the Infotainment systems and other specialized equipment. As an example, the original wiring harness for 2015 included connectors for fog lights, but the wiring harness was later changed and they were removed around 2017, IIRC. Sorry this may sound rambling but my thoughts have changed as I've checked different parts diagrams. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not familiar with the 2nd Gen options, but this is what I'd recommend trying (although it may require you to do some disassembly on your Slingshot. I think the key to figuring out if the SLR steering wheel will fit your S model is the clock-spring since that is the component that provides electrical connection from the steering wheel to the rest of the Slingshot. Remove the covers over the steering column immediately in front of the steering wheel and try to find the connector from the harness to the clock-spring. If it has several wires (a bunch) and not just 2 wires, then there's a good chance the R Steering wheel will fit. It's possible the R steering wheel uses some type of encoder allowing the steering wheel controls to be transmitted to the infotainment system via just a couple of wires, in which case, the connector would probably have the wires to carry the encoded signals and to power the horn, so maybe 4 wires. Unfortunately, the parts diagrams I've seen do not list any info on the clock-spring. There is a separate pn for the S steering wheel, but there is only one pn for the steering wheel wiring harness, so there may be a chance the R steering wheel may fit. The other question is the Infotainment wiring harness - It appears there are separate wiring harnesses for the S SL and R models based on the part numbers. Another option is to call the dealer and see if your can but the entire R Infotainment system. I'd hope that it would include everything needed to get it installed on the S model. If they tell you it won't fit, then it probably won't fit. In the past, Polaris has used one basic wiring harness for the Slingshot with sub-harnesses for the Infotainment systems and other specialized equipment. As an example, the original wiring harness for 2015 included connectors for fog lights, but the wiring harness was later changed and they were removed around 2017, IIRC. Sorry this may sound rambling but my thoughts have changed as I've checked different parts diagrams. Hope this helps some.
I definitely appreciate the helpful insight! I will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We ordered a 2021 S model with Tec pkg, stearing wheel controls for Tec pkg, speed control and paddle shifter. The stearing wheel is the new (?) "D" shaped steering wheel which makes it so much easier to slide under the wheel. All dealership installed.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Amazon offers a variety of these steering wheel controls that can be retrofit to certain radio systems having specialized wires labeled White 1 1 Key and Grey 2 1 Key. They appear to use some form of encoding to transmit signals from the button sets to a control box which then connects to the radio. Here are a few of these units - https://smile.amazon.com/XISEDO-Steering-Controller-Universal-Navigator/dp/B0774DJL2Z/, https://smile.amazon.com/PolarLander-Universal-Wireless-Controller-Navigation/dp/B07Q5XLL4C/, or https://smile.amazon.com/Universal-Wireless-Controller-Navigation-Bluetooth/dp/B07VCJKBQB/. Before ordering one of these units, make sure the Slingshot uses this type of wire in the radio. I haven't found a labeled wiring diagram for the 2022 radio packages, but they may be in the Service manual.
If you're using a phone to Bluetooth music to your sound system, a Bluetooth controller like this may work - https://smile.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Adapter-DDSKY-Steering-Controller/dp/B07NXQZNRS/.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We ordered a 2021 S model with Tec pkg, stearing wheel controls for Tec pkg, speed control and paddle shifter. The stearing wheel is the new (?) "D" shaped steering wheel which makes it so much easier to slide under the wheel. All dealership installed.
Would you happen to have a picture of your steering wheel?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The SS is under wraps in the lower parking garage since it's intermittently snowing then sunny. It looks like any other SS steering wheel with speed control on one side, center horn them Ride Command buttons on the other side. The "D" part the wheel is at the bottom so you have more room to slide in under the steering wheel
I'm relatively sure your dealership could show you the set-up. Highly recommended this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The SS is under wraps in the lower parking garage since it's intermittently snowing then sunny. It looks like any other SS steering wheel with speed control on one side, center horn them Ride Command buttons on the other side. The "D" part the wheel is at the bottom so you have more room to slide in under the steering wheel
I'm relatively sure your dealership could show you the set-up. Highly recommended this.
It’s rough with the slings, nobody has the answers ever, not even Polaris. I will just figure it out by trial and error but I appreciate the replies fellas !

·
Registered
44 Posts
I feel for you but these are all Polaris SS parts. Your dealership should have your answers but if not please contact our salesman Dennis at Sun Enterprise located on N Washington in Thornton, Co. It's a suburb of Denver. Dennis treated us well and seemed to be well informed. Perhaps at least he may be able to provide item numbers for you to give to your salesman. Let me know if I can be of more help. Sun Enterprise, 303-287-7566 I believe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts