Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Slingshot S
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice on replacing the factory Rockford Fosgate radio in my Slingshot with a Boss radio. Not seeing alot of help on google. Besides the DIN kit what else is needed?

Antenna adapter?
Wiring harness? Pretty handy with a multimeter and a soldering iron can I do it without?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks all!

·
Registered
107 Posts
If the “marine” rating is what is attracting you to the BOSS, you will be disappointed. They are about as marine rated as any non-rated double din unit with capacitive touch buttons. The BOSS unit has a reputation of having the screen fog up from condensation on the inside – no rain required. It stays fogged up for days.

If you’re looking for a low cost reliable deck for Android Auto / Apple Carplay, I recommend the ATOTO F7. The “standard” edition does both wired only. The “extreme” edition does AA and Carplay wireless. I have both of these decks in both my wife and daughter’s cars. There is front/rear/sub low level outs for amps, backup camera input, there is even inputs for front camera and other stuff.

The F7 is not a full Android system with on-board GPS, etc. It runs a modified Linux platform that just works perfectly with AA and Carplay. It actually does have an app built in that allows screen mirror. You can load up a Youtube video and play it on the screen ( I failed to show my kid that one).

My only complaint is that the microphone audio is a bit muffled on hands free. With my daughter’s F7, I didn’t install the mic as there is one built into the front of the deck. It sounds better.

For a mount kit and wire harness adapter…..Slingmods does sell both…..priced “Slingmods” style (standard gold weight).

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have the Atoto A6 peformance sitting on the shelf for about 2 months waiting to install this off season. Hope I will be able to see the screen in sunlight. I think I should have gone with the Pro version but didn't realize until now but not much difference from the performance model as far as functionality. Don't care about wireless android auto since I plug in to keep phone charged anyway. If I want wireless I can buy a plug on for $85. The boss unit is disappointing. Once I remove it I will sell for cheap if anyone is still interested.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the Atoto A6 peformance sitting on the shelf for about 2 months waiting to install this off season. Hope I will be able to see the screen in sunlight. I think I should have gone with the Pro version but didn't realize until now but not much difference from the performance model as far as functionality. Don't care about wireless android auto since I plug in to keep phone charged anyway. If I want wireless I can buy a plug on for $85. The boss unit is disappointing. Once I remove it I will sell for cheap if anyone is still interested.
A friend has the A6 in his Slingshot and is happy with it.

The biggest problem with any radio is the angle of the dash. You’re basically looking at a reflection of the sun unless it is nighttime.

I highly recommend the following:

I have a big screen Android unit. Made my own custom mount out of abs plastic so the screen is closer to vertical. No issues at all viewing the screen.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have the Scosche installed with the boss. Really looks nice. I tried the matte for the screen. Didn't help viewing. Hope the A6 is better. No idea why radio screens can't be made like the ones on Honda Goldwings. They can be read in any light conditions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’m following this thread as I am about to replace the unit that came with my Slingshot. It is an aftermarket unit made by Stinger, but totally not waterproof and sticks way out of the dash. Are the only real options here to purchase a marine grade head unit or use some type of cover? The Stinger got wet and the screen is pretty much jacked up. I’m more concerned with durability than a HiFi system..

·
Registered
2021 Slingshot S
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A friend has the A6 in his Slingshot and is happy with it.

The biggest problem with any radio is the angle of the dash. You’re basically looking at a reflection of the sun unless it is nighttime.

I highly recommend the following:

I have a big screen Android unit. Made my own custom mount out of abs plastic so the screen is closer to vertical. No issues at all viewing the screen.
I like the screen cover idea. The install kit is for a 2015 to 17. Mine is a 2021. Only install kit I found so far is on Slingmods. $$$$ Anyone else sell one?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I like the screen cover idea. The install kit is for a 2015 to 17. Mine is a 2021. Only install kit I found so far is on Slingmods. $$$$ Anyone else sell one?
That’s Slingmods……..everything is priced by current gold rates.

The only other place I know that carries an install kit for 2020 up models is UAS but, they seem to be the same price as Slingmods.

Until others start to make some kits for more reasonable prices, the other option would be to make your own out of ABS. Amazon has 1/8 thick 12x12 textured for short money. I made a custom mount for my 11.6” screen with the stuff (among other things). The 2020up dash looks completely flat so, shouldn’t bee too hard. Just make a cardboard template first and transfer to the ABS.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The Scosche dbl din comes with a screen cover.
Hopefully the A6 will be brighter.
Some android units let you get into a factory settings menu where there are a few other settings. My Dasaita radio had some hidden screen settings in there that allowed me to "over" increase brightness and contrast. Not sure if the Atoto will have that hidden menu.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So I have an interesting scenario. The Slingshot dealer left my sling outside for a month while waiting on parts. The Stinger radio that came with the sling got wet (probably a bunch of times) and is ruined. They are going to replace it for me, but I don’t want to use that type of radio again, as we are going to rent our sling and I doubt people will cover the screen in the rain. Soon I will have a really nice head unit new in the box for sale if anyone is interested. Here is a photo and link to the unit on Amazon.
Stinger ELEV8 8" Multimedia Car Stereo with 1024 x 600 HD Display. Apple Car Play, Android Auto, SiriusXM Ready, Bluetooth, TOSLINK Audio Output & HDMI Rear Input, Single/Double DIN Mounting https://a.co/d/1Lz6xVz

1 - 19 of 19 Posts