Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been asking quite a bit (I've done some searching) but I wanted to a more update opinion.

I just picked up a 2021 Slingshot R LE and loving it. What's the best windshield for blocking some of the wind factor? I've been driving it back and forth to work quite a bit and getting wind blown to hell and back. It's really windy here too so extra windy

Thanks

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I know this has been asking quite a bit (I've done some searching) but I wanted to a more update opinion.

I just picked up a 2021 Slingshot R LE and loving it. What's the best windshield for blocking some of the wind factor? I've been driving it back and forth to work quite a bit and getting wind blown to hell and back. It's really windy here too so extra windy

Thanks
My choice is the F4 Customs Windshield --- I have had the 5+ tinted on my Slingshot since Apr 2015 and now has 98,000 + miles and still looks good. Couple of small dings where a stone hit it at 60 mph. My head is OK. The 5+ is 5 inches taller than stock --- I'm 6ft and like to look thru the shield not over, so this works great for me. You will want to add Baker 'Air Wings' to bring the cool in and to keep the cold out.

EjSS46.jpg

EjSS48.jpg

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Do you want to look over or thru your windshield? Some folks feel looking thru a windshield can be dangerous if the windshield fogs up in heavy fog/rain. I prefer a windshield I can look thru or over by lifting my head a little since that seems to give the best of both worlds IMO.
Some people like the Ripper windshield from Polaris. Comes in 2 sizes - Regular (a little shorter than their Blade windshield from the 1st gen Slingshots, IIRC) or Tall. Polaris also offers their traditional Blade windshield.
If you want maximum air flow with a little protection from rain or airborne objects, try one of the dual windshields from Polaris or MadStad. I had a MadStad Single Adjustable Windshield which can be raised or lowered depending on how much air flow is desired. It also comes in a wide variety of sizes, but I'm not sure if the MadStad windshields fit the 2nd gen Slingshots.
F4 Customs offers several different size windshields and uses a durable, scratch-resistant plastic. Contact them at www.f4customs.com and ask which size they recommend based on your height and whether you want to look thru or over the windshield. Their website says 2020+ Windshields are under development, but I'd expect them to have something ready by now.
AllThingsSlingshot also offers a NASCAR style windshield originally designed for the Slingshade, but several owners feel it's one of the better windshields. I repalced my MadStad Single Adjustable with the NASCAR style windshield and like it, but I had to modify it to have it fit the way I wanted. I replaced my MadStad windshield becasue I was concerned about rain coming in uder the windshield and possibly damaging my AFR/Boost gauge.
These sellers cover the widest range of available windshields -
www.slingshotonly.com
www.slingmods.com
www.allthingsslingshot.com

·
Registered
2021 Slingshot R
43 Posts
A lot can be said about looking over or through the windshield. after 25 years on a harley i prefer over, but just barely over. i am 6'6" and you would think that i would have gone with the f4 +5 but i am snake bit at ordering windshields that are too tall so i opted for the +3. due to local snow i can not take it out for a ride but sitting in my driveway it appears to be perfect for me. More will be known friday when i take it for a 120 mile drive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the F4 Customs +9. Being 6’6” I am just at the top of the windshield. I can look above if I stretch or through if I relax. FYI. The +3,+5,+7,+9 do not correlate with how high they are on the 2020’s and 2021’s. I talked to Don a lot before ordering mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just ordered the F4 +5 tinted. Want to look through (no use wasting money buying a new windshield to look over, the stock one is good for that!). Also I want to be able to keep my safety glasses off if I want to and still be protected.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Just ordered the F4 +5 tinted. Want to look through (no use wasting money buying a new windshield to look over, the stock one is good for that!). Also I want to be able to keep my safety glasses off if I want to and still be protected.
I have one of the very first F4 5+ tinted that was sold...now have 98,000+ miles on it and even if I get another Slingshot I will keep this windshield. I would suggest that you consider getting the Baker 'Air Wings' to bring the cool in and keep the cold out.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Thanks
None windshield - the short wind deflector provided does what it does by keen design, looks minimalistic but has function - pushing wind up, helping to reduce bugs and debris away a bit. I just don't get the want of many to make this into a car, enclose with a top, get a high windshield and bat wing doors. The immersive experience is the whole point for me but enjoy whatever you decide is right for you. I own a 5-speed manual 2020 R and LOVE IT!!! Best

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone tried the top-mounted Baker Air Wings on the standard stock 2020+ Ripper standard height windshield? Do they work, and do they interfere with visibility?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Has anyone tried the top-mounted Baker Air Wings on the standard stock 2020+ Ripper standard height windshield? Do they work, and do they interfere with visibility?
Depending on the height of your current windshield and your line of sight, absolutely a possibility!!

Bill

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the MadStad single adjustable windshield on my 2016 SL LE. I also have the MadStad extensions on the side. I love that I can adjust it up and down, regulating airflow (up means more air into the cabin, down less - counterintuitive). I originally ordered a shield that was a bit too tall and I had to crane my neck to look over it. Not a good situation when you drive through a valley on a cold morning and your windshield instantly flashes over with fog. I also realized that there was a quiet air pocket about 2 inches above the top of my helmet. So after a couple of years, I ordered a shorter replacement screen along with the side wings. Super happy now. Extremely quiet cockpit, even with the screen raised for airflow below the screen. This is because of the laminar flow between the outer windshield and the inner deflectors.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Just sharking if any retailers are doing sales soon, it's a tough nut to crack throwing down $700 on a windscreen but I am leaning toward the NASCAR Tallboy Plus 2
I'd expect most retailers to offer Memorial Day sales on at least part of their product line.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had them on a 2017 stock shield , worked perfect.
I will be putting them on our 2021 R , if it ever warms up .

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had them on a 2017 stock shield , worked perfect.
I will be putting them on our 2021 R , if it ever warms up .
FYI... after much discussion ... Slingmods told me that without a center brace (stock ripper windshield) is too flimsy. As far as I know there is no aftermarket windshield for the 2021 yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the MadStad single adjustable windshield on my 2016 SL LE. I also have the MadStad extensions on the side. I love that I can adjust it up and down, regulating airflow (up means more air into the cabin, down less - counterintuitive). I originally ordered a shield that was a bit too tall and I had to crane my neck to look over it. Not a good situation when you drive through a valley on a cold morning and your windshield instantly flashes over with fog. I also realized that there was a quiet air pocket about 2 inches above the top of my helmet. So after a couple of years, I ordered a shorter replacement screen along with the side wings. Super happy now. Extremely quiet cockpit, even with the screen raised for airflow below the screen. This is because of the laminar flow between the outer windshield and the inner deflectors.
Being a huge Madstad fan, I am on the fence in my search. When I put one on the bike it was too tall and the shorty was awesome. Ideally I don't want debris or bugs to the face, but more importantly I don't want turbulence which is what Madstad shines at. What one did you find was best, size wise? What is your height?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts