Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed a small (quarter sized) drop of oil on my driveway. Looks like it's coming from the very bottom of the angle drive. I knew this was an ongoing issue but thought it was resolved...guess not. It only has about 750 miles on it and was just in for the 500 mile service a week ago. I guess I'm bringing it back to have it checked but I'm a little disappointed that its leaking already.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you check bolts? It also doesn't look like there's a crush washer on drain.
No not yet, just saw the spot on the driveway and took a quick look at it. It's only been serviced once and I don't think they would have removed the drain plug, if anything maybe they checked the level but I don't think that's part of the 500 mile service

·
Registered
18 Posts
2021 R LE 750 miles leaking as well. Been in the shop for 3 weeks; waiting on repair. Bet it's coming from the seal around input shaft.
20210525_090104.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well this wasn't what I was expecting from the dealer....
George -

Preliminary inspection reveals you have multiple oil leaks (final drive and engine). I need to confer w/ the manufacturer and once we have a consensus I will get back in touch with you. The unit should not be operated until these are addressed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On the rack at the dealership; they said it's a big job. At this point I guess it's wait a see. Dealership had to order a lift just for this job. Over 3 weeks to get to this.point.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That stinks! I hope mine doesn't take that long but I'm thinking it will especially with Polaris and their parts shortages. I only have 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It took about a week to get the parts; the rest is dealership issues. (Waiting on lift, etc..) Hopefully they are able to get you up and running soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
latest communication...

still waiting for a response from Polaris. The right-angle drive (rear of unit) is leaking from the input shaft seal...this is a 3-4 hour job and we've done it plenty of times. Unfortunately, this has been (and apparently continues to be) a common problem on these units. Unsurprisingly the design has not changed since its inception.

The engine leak will most likely require engine removal which is a 2-3 day job once we've isolated the source of the leak AND have parts on-hand. It appears to be emanating from the front of the unit and while slight it is still fresh oil (and thusly an active leak).

As of right now I cannot say with any degree of certainty when I will have this completed. Once I know what parts I need and their availability I'll be in a better position to advise you in regard to turnaround time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Picked my Slingshot up today :) everything seems to be in order. I'll put a few hundred miles on it this weekend. The tech said that he believed the change polaris specified in weight of the oil; clogged the vent and forced oil out the seal. 2020/2021 issue ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
They sent a message to Polaris asking for guidance but Polaris never responded. They ended up replacing with the 85-250w. The angle drive case is stamped with 75-140. I am going to reach out to Polaris myself and see if I can get written guidance. Keeping a close eye on it for now.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Mostly for curiosity sake, I was contemplating trying 85W-250 oil in our angle drive, thanks for the information for it has caused me to pause trying to fix something that really is not broken.

Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's just thinking out loud at this point. I'll post when I hear back from Polaris. Seems to be more then a few develop this issue around the 1k mark.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So starting week 3 with the slingshot at the shop... The engine leak is coming from the front cover and the dealer is waiting for a replacement cover, seal and bearing. I asked if it would be finished for the 4th of July weekend and was told no. They still don't have the parts and the engine and transmission have to be removed to replace the front cover so that will take 2-3 days... They told me I could pick it up and use it and bring it back in a few days since the leak is very minor but now that went bad too. Turns out they don't have the new weight gear oil 85-250 in stock so they can't top off the angle drive and also can't get approval to top it off with the 75-140 from Polaris. I actually looked into renting one just to have some fun as ridiculous as that sounds since I own one that I can't use. My best guess is they will get the parts this week and install them next week with any luck? Polaris should really be making this stuff right, maybe a free accessory or service??

·
Registered
18 Posts
My dealer told me polaris doesn't reimbursed them for fluids.... unbelievable. Also said they only paid .4 hours to repair angel drive (Pinion seal leaking) Polaris needs to get their act together. 500 miles post repair and no leaks so far. I ordered a qt of the correct (85-250) fluid on line and paid 24.99 with shipping; that is ridiculous. Dealer.said to mix it and it would be ok; I didn't want to give Polaris any reason to not.cover the repair. I have yet to receive a response reference to the thicker oil clogging to RAD vent .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just noticed a small (quarter sized) drop of oil on my driveway. Looks like it's coming from the very bottom of the angle drive. I knew this was an ongoing issue but thought it was resolved...guess not. It only has about 750 miles on it and was just in for the 500 mile service a week ago. I guess I'm bringing it back to have it checked but I'm a little disappointed that its leaking already.
Same thing is happening with my 2021 Slingshot S! Had my 500 service done and they took a look at it and put notes in service record and also ropes it off! It stopped , but then started back again. I have around 750 miles on mine!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts