Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, after almost 40 years of two-wheeled fun and adventure, my wife and I were in an accident in Southwest FL. on our 2018 Indian Springfield. I am faced with the hard fact that as much as I love the feeling of being on two wheels and carving through the twists and turns, I am not at all willing to risk her safety or mine. I can't and I won't. However, perhaps, something like the Slingshot I feel might satisfy our hunger for the feel of the open road similar to a motorcycle experience. Is there anyone out there who has been in a situation like this or who has made the transition from two wheels to the Slingshot. If so, would you do it again? Is it really all that? Pros vs. Cons? Looking for some real world advice? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went from Harley cruiser to the Slingshot. I primarily changed because I wanted something my wife would enjoy to go out in as well whenever she wanted, or we can swap driving when one gets tired. We both love it and actually like it better. Second day we owned it we put 550 miles on it, or rather my wife did. Ours I’d the LE automatic.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Recently, after almost 40 years of two-wheeled fun and adventure, my wife and I were in an accident in Southwest FL. on our 2018 Indian Springfield. I am faced with the hard fact that as much as I love the feeling of being on two wheels and carving through the twists and turns, I am not at all willing to risk her safety or mine. I can't and I won't. However, perhaps, something like the Slingshot I feel might satisfy our hunger for the feel of the open road similar to a motorcycle experience. Is there anyone out there who has been in a situation like this or who has made the transition from two wheels to the Slingshot. If so, would you do it again? Is it really all that? Pros vs. Cons? Looking for some real world advice? Thanks in advance.
I did not start riding until I was 50 and got on a Gold Wing (really the first was the 1982 Silver Wing for 2 years) and 250,000 miles and 21 years later my wife thought I was too old and fragile to handle two wheels. I would NOT have triked my Wing but when I saw a picture of the Slingshot in Oct 2014 I knew that was the machine for me. Bought in Feb 2015 and now have 98,000 miles in the seat and can't wait for the next smile as I slip into the seat for the next ride. Mine in Northern Indiana and ride when ever there is NO snow on the road. (Polaris makes snowmobiles) The Slingshot just goes down the road.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I went from a Harley trike to the Slingshot...would never look back and say that was a bad choice getting the Slingshot...a year later I lost my left leg...thought it was over for me..NOPE the Slingshot was in the garage awaiting for me to ride...had to adapt getting in and out..using the clutch with a prosthetic leg..no problem..still having fun with it..and won't look back on the purchase...and I still have a two wheeler to ride when I need the fix...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been riding motorcycles for 66 years and August 12th i traded my 2020 Harley Ultra Limited for a 2020 Slingshot R and we thoroughly enjoy it and won't ever go back to a motorcycle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been riding motorcycles for 66 years and August 12th i traded my 2020 Harley Ultra Limited for a 2020 Slingshot R and we thoroughly enjoy it and won't ever go back to a motorcycle.
50 yrs on 2 wheelers! 1 yr in my SS, I'll never buy another bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I would do it again. After I retired, I bought a 2 wheeler after a 26 year wait because of not being able to have one due to moving and other reasons connected to the job. I discovered after my doctor confirmed it that I had a balance problem. I added a sidecar and rode it for a few years before getting a new 2015 Slingshot. I had it for 4 years and all the recalls. I traded the Slingshot on a Ural. For those that don't know, Urals only come with sidecars. I rode that for a year. My wife had trouble getting in and out of the sidecar (remember, we are geezers). I saw an ad for the 2020 Slingshots and all the improvements and checked with my closest dealer. For some reason, they thought I wanted an automatic and said they didn't have any in stock. I told them I only wanted a stick, they said they had a Model R in stock and it went from there. I am now enjoying it when the weather permits here in central KY.
I do have to admit that I am a bit disappointed when I got my first recall letter on the PCV - oil situation in the new engines. I hope this is the only recall I see. At my age, this may be the last vehicle of this type I own. I still have fun and feel good, but know what age does to a person. You younger ones will find out soon enough.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
@txchef a good number of Slingshot riders have come from the motorcycle world, and in my opinion, are typically the ones most satisfied with the Sling. We enjoy and appreciate the exposure to the elements. I personally parked my bike ('85 Kawasaki GPz750 owned since 1986) when I was around 47 years old, not because of health, but because the roads were filling up with bozos, and 1 or 2 near-death experiences per day wasn't much fun. I thought I'd get a Spyder one day when I was ready to get back out but then I saw the Slingshot and was an owner within a couple weeks. No regrets. I love riding it and will probably never sell it. From what you wrote I suspect that you'd feel exactly like me. Pull the trigger and see what comes next! You'll likely make some new friends along the way too.

Now what kind of cheffing do you do in Texas? I was just chatting about the Original Salt Lick outside of Austin with a forum member.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Yes, I would do it again. After I retired, I bought a 2 wheeler after a 26 year wait because of not being able to have one due to moving and other reasons connected to the job. I discovered after my doctor confirmed it that I had a balance problem. I added a sidecar and rode it for a few years before getting a new 2015 Slingshot. I had it for 4 years and all the recalls. I traded the Slingshot on a Ural. For those that don't know, Urals only come with sidecars. I rode that for a year. My wife had trouble getting in and out of the sidecar (remember, we are geezers). I saw an ad for the 2020 Slingshots and all the improvements and checked with my closest dealer. For some reason, they thought I wanted an automatic and said they didn't have any in stock. I told them I only wanted a stick, they said they had a Model R in stock and it went from there. I am now enjoying it when the weather permits here in central KY.
I do have to admit that I am a bit disappointed when I got my first recall letter on the PCV - oil situation in the new engines. I hope this is the only recall I see. At my age, this may be the last vehicle of this type I own. I still have fun and feel good, but know what age does to a person. You younger ones will find out soon enough.
The advantage to the Slingshot is that for every mile you drive it you get to SUBTRACT an HOUR of AGE....working on 98,000+ miles at the moment since Feb 2015.
In Northern Indiana I never put it up for the winter, NO Snow on the road --- put on some warm clothes and go for a ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@txchef a good number of Slingshot riders have come from the motorcycle world, and in my opinion, are typically the ones most satisfied with the Sling. We enjoy and appreciate the exposure to the elements. I personally parked my bike ('85 Kawasaki GPz750 owned since 1986) when I was around 47 years old, not because of health, but because the roads were filling up with bozos, and 1 or 2 near-death experiences per day wasn't much fun. I thought I'd get a Spyder one day when I was ready to get back out but then I saw the Slingshot and was an owner within a couple weeks. No regrets. I love riding it and will probably never sell it. From what you wrote I suspect that you'd feel exactly like me. Pull the trigger and see what comes next! You'll likely make some new friends along the way too.

Now what kind of cheffing do you do in Texas? I was just chatting about the Original Salt Lick outside of Austin with a forum member.
Hey SlingLow, appreciate the response, actually my family and I moved from the Dallas area after 18 years, specifically Arlington, TX to sunny southwest FL. We love it here and can ride year round. I'm an old hotel rat, worked with Wyndham, Hilton, Sheratons, etc. Taking it a little easier these days though. Not too familiar with the food scene in Austin but I know it is awesome with some really talented chef's working their way up through the ranks. Have a good one.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Hey SlingLow, appreciate the response, actually my family and I moved from the Dallas area after 18 years, specifically Arlington, TX to sunny southwest FL. We love it here and can ride year round. I'm an old hotel rat, worked with Wyndham, Hilton, Sheratons, etc. Taking it a little easier these days though. Not too familiar with the food scene in Austin but I know it is awesome with some really talented chef's working their way up through the ranks. Have a good one.
The wife and I spend a little time in the Port Charlotte, FL area in Jan. Are you near there, love love to meet up and ride. I do know several of the guys down that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EJ, we live in Venice, so yes we are close. We like to ride down to Boca Grande, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Arcadia, etc. Once my ride is repaired and or purchase the Sling, we'll definitely have to meet up. Thanks. We are also members of West Coast Florida Riders.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
@txchef a good number of Slingshot riders have come from the motorcycle world, and in my opinion, are typically the ones most satisfied with the Sling.
Two thumbs up! Most folks that complain about the SlingShot are those who want, and try to make the SlingShot into, a car rather than a motorcycle. You can count us in as one of those who purchased our SlingShot as a motorcycle alternative.

Bill

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
EJ, we live in Venice, so yes we are close. We like to ride down to Boca Grande, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Arcadia, etc. Once my ride is repaired and or purchase the Sling, we'll definitely have to meet up. Thanks. We are also members of West Coast Florida Riders.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
My wife's cousin is in Venice. Will send you a private message.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts