Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. I am thinking about getting a 2020 R. it looks to me like an automatic is available. What do you guys think about it? $32k. I can got a new 2019 for $17k but I really like the automatic. Is the R much better than the SL? What do you get for the extra money? What do you guys think I should do? I really like the blue and the automatic.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
The AutoDrive is reported to shift rather oddly. Hopefully, after some time with a bunch of them on the road, one of the Slingshot tuners/modders will be able to offer a more refined shift programming. According to tsting, the 2020 SL Autodrive with less power than the earlier Slingshots is about 1/2 second slower to 60 mph. I would hope the more powerful R tune with manual will be as fast or slightly faster than the earlier Slingshots. With some refined shift tuning, maybe the AutoDrive will be almost as fast as the earlier Slingshots.
Keep in mind you can buy the 2019 Slingshot and convert it to a true automatic transmission meant for a Solstice/Sky with the same 2.4L Ecotec motor for around $6K.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? I can do the conversion? Is there anyone around Southern California that does that?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good info. Thank you. What is the difference between the 2020 R and SL? They both have the auto drive. Correct? The R has more power?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
2020 Polaris Slingshot SL - 3 Wheel Motorcycle | Polaris Slingshot - 178 HP, 120 ft lbs Torque, AutoDrive only.

2020 Polaris Slingshot R - 3 Wheel Motorcycle | Polaris Slingshot - 203 HP, 144 ft lbs Torque, Available with 5 speed manual or AutoDrive at extra cost.

Try searching the Forum for automatic transmission conversion. IIRC, DDM Works offered a conversion (ddmworks.com).
Performance Autowerks also offers a conversion (WERKSracing Slingshot 5 Speed Automatic Transmission Conversion, Performance Autowerks). At one point, Performance Autowerks also offered a paddle shift option, I think.
There may some other companies offering conversions, but I can't think of any others right now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think the 30 extra hp is going to make a significant difference? Which would you get and why? Thank you so much for helping me. I really appreciate it.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
956 Posts
@Mikef welcome to our forum. @BKL has given you some good points, I will just add a little of my own information to add something to help with your decision making process. First, the Autodrive is not a true automatic with a torque converter like you would be use to in a car. Weight would be too great, so they come up with the Autodrive, a system of clutches and shifting system that is actually like a manual transmission with auto clutch and shifting. What I have read is that it can not sometime shift at just the right time, so it will be something to get use to.
I want to present a thought towards the manual shift models. Not sure if you have limits that will not allow you to drive a manual shift. If you don't have limits, I have a 5 part video series where I show the basics of driving a manual shift Slingshot. I invite you to look at it just to see if you may want to consider driving the high excitement of shifting the gears to get the absolute most out of the Slingshot. Now I will just let you explore my video to see if this would be something of interest to you to consider. I am giving you choices and right now, you need all the input you can get.
Good luck on whatever Slingshot to arrive at as a choice, I know you will enjoy it.

Slingshot Manual Shift Driving Lessons Playlist

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Do you think the 30 extra hp is going to make a significant difference? Which would you get and why? Thank you so much for helping me. I really appreciate it.
That's a difficult question to answer. I find it very odd that Polaris offers the detuned (lower power) Slingshot SL with AutoDrive for $26,499 , yet wants $30,999 for the higher power R model with a manual transmission and then wants an extra $1700 more for the AutoDrive model. Since they're asking more for the high-end model with AutoDrive, that tells me the AutoDrive costs more than the manual transmission, so why not offer an entry-level Slingshot SL with the manual transmission for around $24K and the entry-level AutoDrive SL at their current asking price of $25,499. They could still offer the R model with more power for enthusiasts.
I bought the Base model Slingshot when I bought my 2015 Slingshot. The power and manual trans were the same as offered on the more expensive SL and I didn't feel the extra $4-5K they wanted for the SL was worth it since the only real difference between the Base and the SL was the radio. I installed my own sound system and later installed a turbo kit. Making the purchase decision now is more difficult. Polaris no longer offers an entry-level model. While the new Polaris-designed engine has been tested for a couple years or so, it still lacks the track record of longevity @Samowens44 referenced above. As a new model, the Polaris-equipped Slingshot doesn't currently offer the engine mods that were quickly offered based on years of familiarity with the GM motor, but I would still expect to start seeing supercharger and turbo kits for the new 2020 models relatively quickly. If I could buy an SL WITH the manual transmission and then add some form of boost via SC or Turbo kit later, I would. The current shifting patterns for the AutoDrive, while they offer a functioning automatic-like experience, still leave something to be desired based on reports from others who have actually driven the AutoDrive Slingshot. As far as I'm concerned, Polaris has overpriced the R model, hoping that people will pay a significantly higher price for more power and a manual trans.
For me, the best thing to do would be to buy the 2019 Slingshot and have Performance Autowerks install a true automatic transmission and still pay less than the cost of the 2020 SL. Buying the 2019 for $17-18K means you can add both a true automatic transmission and some form of boost* for far more power than available in the R model at the same or lower cost compared to the R model. The GM motor on the first gen Slingshots can usually handle up to 300 HP in its stock form, but if you want to go higher than that, you need a boost-built motor for around $5-7K installed. The final product has the GM motor with its abundant availability of new or used motor parts as well as lots of mechanics who can work on it, although Polaris' use of a non-OBDII-compliant ECU makes it a little harder to figure out some problems.
If I could afford it, I'd even add a four-wheel conversion to my 2015 boosted (around 250 HP) Slingshot for a poor man's Ariel Atom! Imagine having something offering the performance of a $100K racing vehicle for around $35K (2019 Slingshot @ $18K, automatic trans conversion for $6K and 4-wheel conversion from DFKitCar.com for around $6-7K. Add in $3-4K for shipping and you still only hit around $34-35K for a fantastically fun vehicle that can actually use all of the power available w/o spinning your rear tire all day!
* Keep in mind that adding boost can always result in eventually having engine problems since you're getting a lot more power than the engine was originally designed to produce. Some folks go years w/o problems while others encounter problems quickly. When I installed my turbo kit, that was the first major engine work I'd done on a vehicle in 40 years. I took my time, asked lots of questions and I now have over 20K boosted miles with 58K miles on my Slingshot. The boost kits offered by the established Slingshot mod suppliers all have pretty good install instructions. Kits that came from early suppliers w/o a history with the Slingshot and GM motor were not as well thought-out and were more likely to have problems.

If you're paranoid about modifications causing problems, stick with a stock offering whether you choose the 2019 w/manual trans or one of the 2020 AutoDrive models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
good info. Thank you. What is the difference between the 2020 R and SL? They both have the auto drive. Correct? The R has more power?
I,2 weeks ago bought the 2020R the R has alot of other features the SL doesn't. More horsepower and a few things that make it diffrent . I have the manual due to the issues with the auto drive shift odd and bucks from take off . But I love the R

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I,2 weeks ago bought the 2020R the R has alot of other features the SL doesn't. More horsepower and a few things that make it diffrent . I have the manual due to the issues with the auto drive shift odd and bucks from take off . But I love the R
With more HP, but less Torque and the mnaual trans, I'd expect the R model to be a lot closer to the older Slingshot than the AutoDrive. The higher rpm capability should go a long way toward making up for having less torque and if I had the money, I'd certainly consider one. That said, since Poalris charges more for the AutoDrive R than the manual R, I'm disappointed olaris didn't offer a manual trans model of the SL to go with the AutoDrive model.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Newbie here. I am thinking about getting a 2020 R. it looks to me like an automatic is available. What do you guys think about it? $32k. I can got a new 2019 for $17k but I really like the automatic. Is the R much better than the SL? What do you get for the extra money? What do you guys think I should do? I really like the blue and the automatic.
I have a 2020 too and love it. I have a manual but drove the auto drive. The shifting can be a little funky and sometimes it goes back and forth between 3rd and 4th gear based on your speed. However the R also has two types of driving modes that affect how the vehicle drives. It’s not popular to know about it unless you read the manual but it does make a difference. My advise is to test drive an R and do it with both modes to see how you like it. Your dealer should be able to help you with it.

·
Premium Member
2020 R SlingShot
49 Posts
I just bought the 2020R Manual. I absolutely love it. Just finished a 2000 mile maiden voyage. But, depending on the type of driving you intend to do, that 2019 might be a very good deal. Though the automatic is selling well, it does not take much effort to learn to drive a standard. All my kids learned and tested in my Wrangler. An automatic SS is like dancing with your sister.
Much depends on you financial situation.
I am quite well off (thank you President Trump) so money was not really an option.
But your miles may differ.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
956 Posts
@SpringerRider thanks for you testimony for owning a 2020 Manual 2020R. I think folks that do not know how to drive a Manual shift transmission should investigate learning. I have posted previously a link to my Driving Lessons Playlist.
Anyone can learn in just a very short time. Then, you gain more experience of driving without a lot of traffic, you will be driving like a pro very soon and experiencing the full fun of owning a Polaris Slingshot. Now if some folks have physical limitations that would prevent driving a manual shift, the autodrive will give those folks an option for sure. I think you you ask most Slingshot owners how they enjoy the manual shift, I think you will find them to endorse it highly. It is the only Slingshot I would want and I owned two.
Just want to let folks know that not knowing how to drive a manual shift, don't let that hold you back from learning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ordered the R-Model 2020 with a 5-Speed. It's a beast - the R gives you the extra HP 203 & it gets to sixty in 4.9 seconds. I don't get the automatic buyer... the vehicle is so connected to the road, riding just 5 inches off the road - the manual feels amazing. The transmission rivals the best I have ever driven. The vehicle with a few options topped out at $32.4k and worth every penny. I LOVE this redesign it is NIGHT AND DAY better than the 2019 - Not even close!!! It's amazing and the only gripe I have is no Sparco Shift knob this year. I am awaiting Slingmods approved aftermarket upgrade. Peace all!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The AutoDrive is reported to shift rather oddly. Hopefully, after some time with a bunch of them on the road, one of the Slingshot tuners/modders will be able to offer a more refined shift programming. According to tsting, the 2020 SL Autodrive with less power than the earlier Slingshots is about 1/2 second slower to 60 mph. I would hope the more powerful R tune with manual will be as fast or slightly faster than the earlier Slingshots. With some refined shift tuning, maybe the AutoDrive will be almost as fast as the earlier Slingshots.
Keep in mind you can buy the 2019 Slingshot and convert it to a true automatic transmission meant for a Solstice/Sky with the same 2.4L Ecotec motor for around $6K.
Couldn't have said it better.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Personally I would go with the older SL because it has the GM engine which has a proven track record for reliability. You can also find mechanics to work on them. The new Polaris engine might be the greatest thing to come out but only time will tell and the nearest Polaris dealer to me just stopped selling and servicing Slingshots. Now the closest US dealer to me is over 4 hours away and since the Canadian border is closed to me I would be looking at a huge towing bill if I had a breakdown with the new engine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I found a new 2019 S that I can get out the door for $20k. I am really thinking about it. I could get it today.

or I could wait for the 2020 R autodrive. It will be $32k out the door. Money isn’t a huge issue for me but who like to waste it. Lol. I would have to wait a month for this one.

Wha would you guys do?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would suggest you watch some 2020 R YouTube reviews IF you can't get to test drive one. They changed/bettered 70% of the vehicle in 2020 - all for the better in my eyes and in reviews you would see if you look. I believe it's worth the newer model but just a suggestion:) Best of luck!

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
956 Posts
@Mikef The 2019s, Now the S model comes stock with smaller tires. The SL would be a better choice if you can get it at close to the same price, which I think you can. So, I am saying, look for the Sl at that price will give you a better deal. Sorry, I missed the "S" model when I read. There are too many SL at close to that price and below.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
956 Posts
@Mikef sorry, look at my edited post. I think you can do better, unless the S model has been upgraded with SL bigger tires and entertainment system as minimum for that price. Only look at SL and above with the money you can pay for the best value. Good Luck. Be patient and your Slingshot will come to you. You just have to search.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts