Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow- I am glad I waited for 2020. I have seen every YouTube review and read all the reviews online. Polaris fixed/improved every flaw except for the side mirrors which are still manual. The R model is amazing.
Better look, interior- steering wheel is awesome looking and in functionality and the engine- 203 HP with the improved 5-speed??

Question:...is the ambient footwell lighting included, an option or an aftermarket add on? Anyone know?

Super excited to own one by summer:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at the Build & price link (Build Color - Polaris Slingshot R) for the R, after selecting your color, you have the option of selecting Interior LED Lighting Kit in Red, yellow, Green or Orange at a price of $164.99.
Looking at the Build & price link (Build Color - Polaris Slingshot R) for the R, after selecting your color, you have the option of selecting Interior LED Lighting Kit in Red, yellow, Green or Orange at a price of $164.99.
Thank You. Geez the site is not easy to view unless I am missing something. Every option is tiny when viewing - I clicked on it to make it large. For instance - when you click the wheel package - it should place them on the big image to see what they look like. All I see is the tiny image by itself...

Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok- for those using the Build Feature to estimate price, you need to click to ADD the item/feature which then adds it to the large vehicle in the center that rotates 360 degrees. Then you simply remove it if you don’t like the look.
It’s an expensive toy sure but I will get much more use out or the Slingshot - even in NY for sunny days- than I would a boat, snowmobile or sports car like a Vette. And the open air, rad design will be way more fun!!!
S

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Placed an order inquiry today. If down payment received by Feb 15 they offer a 4 year warranty. That's nice insurance on a new engine. They do NOT know when the vehicles will be delivered - geez... They will advise when known - better be June 1st or earlier as summer and fall go quickly in Central NY!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Wow- I am glad I waited for 2020. I have seen every YouTube review and read all the reviews online. Polaris fixed/improved every flaw except for the side mirrors which are still manual. The R model is amazing.
Better look, interior- steering wheel is awesome looking and in functionality and the engine- 203 HP with the improved 5-speed??

Question:...is the ambient footwell lighting included, an option or an aftermarket add on? Anyone know?

Super excited to own one by summer:)
The lighting was standard on my 18 SLR so I would imagine it still is.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I reviewed the new 2020 on the Polaris home page and have to admit, I like the led headlights but the rest is not that much of an issue. That GM ecotech 4 cylinder works for me and if I wanted to super charge it, it can be done. I would imagine that I will eventually swap out the head lights but as far as the automatic, NAH, I'll keep my manual because it is fun. Nothing else about it would make me take my already paid for 18 SLR and trade it in for a 2020. Basically, it's the same bike with some updates. It's not like going from a C7 Corvette to a C8 so I will stand down on this one.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Is either model avail with a clutch and manual shift....still don't have this clear in my mind. Find the whole release whoop de doo confusing. Prob just my old mind can't take all this new stuff in!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
For 2020 Polaris is offering 2 models. The SL at around $26-27Kcomes with the lower output Polaris engine (somewhere around 178 HP and 120 lbs. ft. torque) and the R model that comes with a manual transmission 2t $30,999 or the AutoDrive transmission at $32699.

·
Registered
443 Posts
For 2020 Polaris is offering 2 models. The SL at around $26-27Kcomes with the lower output Polaris engine (somewhere around 178 HP and 120 lbs. ft. torque) and the R model that comes with a manual transmission 2t $30,999 or the AutoDrive transmission at $32699.
Good to see you still on her BKL, wow some major improvements and a MAJOR price increase since we went to Austin 5 years ago to get these things approved. What do you think the future is for these machines,(?) I see more and more dealers dropping the line in my neck of the woods! Also, I had a belt break with only about 15 K miles, don't get it! At any rate got a new belt and put it on my self; have you ever heard of this? I don't trust it now so I am going to a dealer and have the tension and alignment checked!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Good to hear from you! Still riding. Since purchased in June 2015, I've had my Slingshott up on blocks for various mods for a little over 13 months or so (I take my time when trying to figure out how I plan on changing things). I added a MadStad 13" Single Adjustable windshield and a TD Canvas Top around early 2016, then had it repainted Yellow later in 2016. After my warranty expired in 2017, I put it on blocks from July 2017 thru Feb 2018 and installed a Hahn Stage 2 Turbo kit and a sound system. I just swapped in my 4th radio/stereo system and have been thru several sets of speakers and enclosures (I now have roll hoop speakers and SSV Works foot speaker pods and finally think I have enough volume). Tore off the front lower wing (got tired of having to adjust it every-time I hit some animal during a night ride) and fabbed my own brackets for a spoiler/wing meant for a car's rear deck and then replaced it with a MadStad Ultimate Slingshot Bumper as my Xmas gift to myself last Xmas. Still need to get my Top back on, hopefully later this week.
I plan on posting pics showing the major changes over the years in the Slingshot pics thread, but here's the most recent pic I took the other night.
20200429_215532.jpg
I now have over 56,000 miles on mine. Not bad when you allow for the long periods I had it torn apart! 😁

·
Registered
443 Posts
Good to hear from you! Still riding. Since purchased in June 2015, I've had my Slingshott up on blocks for various mods for a little over 13 months or so (I take my time when trying to figure out how I plan on changing things). I added a MadStad 13" Single Adjustable windshield and a TD Canvas Top around early 2016, then had it repainted Yellow later in 2016. After my warranty expired in 2017, I put it on blocks from July 2017 thru Feb 2018 and installed a Hahn Stage 2 Turbo kit and a sound system. I just swapped in my 4th radio/stereo system and have been thru several sets of speakers and enclosures (I now have roll hoop speakers and SSV Works foot speaker pods and finally think I have enough volume). Tore off the front lower wing (got tired of having to adjust it every-time I hit some animal during a night ride) and fabbed my own brackets for a spoiler/wing meant for a car's rear deck and then replaced it with a MadStad Ultimate Slingshot Bumper as my Xmas gift to myself last Xmas. Still need to get my Top back on, hopefully later this week.
I plan on posting pics showing the major changes over the years in the Slingshot pics thread, but here's the most recent pic I took the other night.
View attachment 183890
I now have over 56,000 miles on mine. Not bad when you allow for the long periods I had it torn apart! 😁
This is what I was talking about regarding the future of this machine, appears to be hanging on by the short hairs with Polaris! What do you think this would mean for our bikes, finding any kine of dealer service AT ALL! Is This Polaris' Last Chance for the Slingshot 3-Wheeler?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
If I hadn't already done so much to my Slingshot and had the available cash to buy the 2020, I'd certainly consider getting one. My main concern about the new Slignshot is the new higher price for an entry Slingshot. The new SL now serving as the entrylevel Slingshot is too much money for my retirement budget. If Polaris offered a lower cost entry model similar tot he old Base Slingshot, even if it came with a manual transmission and the lower power engine and w/o a sound system, the lower cost would still allow me to upgrade with aftermarket products.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Polaris seems to have put several years development into the new Slingshot, so I think they are hoping it will keep selling. Having an automatic on the new entry model should hep sales if folks can overcome the new higher entry cost. If sales should stumble, I hope Polaris will intro a stripper automatic model w/o the Infotainment/Nav package. Being able to start with a lower cost model was certainly a factor in my purchase decision.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts