Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 slingshot R smoke from exhaust after gassing up after highway driving 65 mph or so for around 30 miles did it on acceleration one time couldn't reproduce, smell of oil burning for sure. Tried to reproduce under same condition with no luck. Starting cold in building no smoke even with increase in rpm. Today driving 65 about 15 miles or so heard ticking about 8 times in a row from engine then smelt oil, stopped and accelerated produced smoke again got a video for dealer. Drove back hwy driving no smoke seen, but on stop then acceleration got heavy smoke. I had contacted dealer and Polaris knowing that if they couldn't produce the smoke nothing would be done but to give a heads up there was something going on. I am really wondering if it's pulling oil from the pcv system at higher speeds sense it hasn't smoked on start ups but just a guess. Today dealer advised they would contact Polaris Monday to start a case and see if they were to have the SS picked up or drive it to the dealer most likely picked up not knowing what is going on. Also as others have noted the front crank seal is sleeping after the pcv recall and adding the extra qt of oil . Still under warranty for now, good sign I will buy the added 3 years of warranty. I'll try to keep posted what is going on with the machine.

· Registered
5,911 Posts
2020 slingshot R smoke from exhaust after gassing up after highway driving 65 mph or so for around 30 miles did it on acceleration one time couldn't reproduce, smell of oil burning for sure. Tried to reproduce under same condition with no luck. Starting cold in building no smoke even with increase in rpm. Today driving 65 about 15 miles or so heard ticking about 8 times in a row from engine then smelt oil, stopped and accelerated produced smoke again got a video for dealer. Drove back hwy driving no smoke seen, but on stop then acceleration got heavy smoke. I had contacted dealer and Polaris knowing that if they couldn't produce the smoke nothing would be done but to give a heads up there was something going on. I am really wondering if it's pulling oil from the pcv system at higher speeds sense it hasn't smoked on start ups but just a guess. Today dealer advised they would contact Polaris Monday to start a case and see if they were to have the SS picked up or drive it to the dealer most likely picked up not knowing what is going on. Also as others have noted the front crank seal is sleeping after the pcv recall and adding the extra qt of oil . Still under warranty for now, good sign I will buy the added 3 years of warranty. I'll try to keep posted what is going on with the machine.
On the 3 year warranty...that price is one that you can get for a discount... Fix My Toy offrers a 20% discount---and it's a Polaris warranty. Your dealer should match or you buy for Fix My Toy
Powersports OEM Parts & Accessories Superstore | FixMyToys

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To add to today's event got home and had a nail in the rear tire only 6k on the tire, I stuck a quick plug in it for now. Advice requested should I put in an inside plug in the tire and trust it or replace the tire ? I run plugs even the quick push in plugs in cars and trucks and never think about it but this is a different beast.

· Registered
5,911 Posts
To add to today's event got home and had a nail in the rear tire only 6k on the tire, I stuck a quick plug in it for now. Advice requested should I put in an inside plug in the tire and trust it or replace the tire ? I run plugs even the quick push in plugs in cars and trucks and never think about it but this is a different beast.
In our cars/trucks (4 wheels) and we generally have a spare. I would not go to far with out replaceing the tire. If you just going to be 'close' to home than run the plugged tire for a while. I put new tires all the way around this spring --- was going to Maggie Valley, NC for a week to run the Smokies. Had I been staying on the 'flat lands' of Northern Indiana probably would not have changed the tires.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input on the tire I was feeling like I should replace it but looking at that good tire and the $$$ I just couldn't decide on the inside installed type plug or not. Also I'm hoping catch up with you in Maggie Valley when you down south somtime.

· Registered
5,911 Posts
Thanks for the input on the tire I was feeling like I should replace it but looking at that good tire and the $$$ I just couldn't decide on the inside installed type plug or not. Also I'm hoping catch up with you in Maggie Valley when you down south somtime.
I hate 'flat' tires... even on my 4 wheeled units, first flat tire and I will fix it --- second flat and I will change all four tires. I've got to many vechiles...couple of years ago I put 4 new tires on 5 units --- personal and work (painting contractor).

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a little of what's going on .The SS is in the shop, last week Polaris advised them to start with checking compression and cylinder leakage . Text from service department said ( compression and cylinder leak down were normal ) will have to look at a few other things and return info to Polaris .

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Latest from the shop they are now like me also thinking it's pcv system faults. They found oil building up in the intake system after hwy driving. They are pulling parts together to go into the crankcase vent system ,it is not set up like a car system with a valve in the rocker covers it's a box type system on the lower engine plumber to the intake. The front crankshaft seals are on backorder like the rest of the world of parts, I've got 4 bays of trucks apart looking for backorder parts to come back on line eta on the seal is November 25 off backorder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts