Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 Slingshot R intermediately burning oil during acceleration. Took it to dealer and connected computer and didn't see any errors and they said could not fix it if it was intermediate. Found out if I start from a cold start and travel for about 20 miles and stop at a red light and the start to accelerate a cloud of smoke comes up in the passenger side and stops all traffic behind me. I am taking it back to the dealer tomorrow. It could be oil not draining out of valve cover and leaking down valve stem. Dealer said it could be rings lining up. It started smoking at 9000 miles. It now has 10,000 miles and getting worse. It had check engine light for a week but it went out today after several starts..

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
2020 Slingshot R intermediately burning oil during acceleration. Took it to dealer and connected computer and didn't see any errors and they said could not fix it if it was intermediate. Found out if I start from a cold start and travel for about 20 miles and stop at a red light and the start to accelerate a cloud of smoke comes up in the passenger side and stops all traffic behind me. I am taking it back to the dealer tomorrow. It could be oil not draining out of valve cover and leaking down valve stem. Dealer said it could be rings lining up. It started smoking at 9000 miles. It now has 10,000 miles and getting worse. It had check engine light for a week but it went out today after several starts..
Two things:

1. Some of the new Prostar engines had an oil consumption problem related to a PCV system issue, for which there is a fix available. Your dealer should be able to tell you if yours is included.
2. There have also been problems with cylinder sleeve breakage on some engines. Apparently the vendor for said sleeves over-hardened a batch, and they've proven brittle in use. This particular problem is being rectified via engine replacement.

Good luck and please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Reactions: unique

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is it the Prostar motor?
A friend's 2021 turned into a crop duster within weeks after purchase. Eventually getting to the point of approx 1 quart per 1.5 hours running time.
On the bright side, it was good mosquito control.
The dealer first gave him a number of run arounds.

Problem ended up being a cracked cylinder liner. Polaris covered it under warranty. Replacement included both motor and tranny (5 speed standard). Dealer took around 2 weeks to R&R the motor/tranny.

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Is it the Prostar motor?
A friend's 2021 turned into a crop duster within weeks after purchase. Eventually getting to the point of approx 1 quart per 1.5 hours running time.
On the bright side, it was good mosquito control.
The dealer first gave him a number of run arounds.

Problem ended up being a cracked cylinder liner. Polaris covered it under warranty. Replacement included both motor and tranny (5 speed standard). Dealer took around 2 weeks to R&R the motor/tranny.

Best of luck!
Yes it is the new 2020 2 liter 203 hp Prostar Engine in a 2020 Slingshot R with manual transmission. it blows out a white cloud of smoke about every 20 miles

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two things:

1. Some of the new Prostar engines had an oil consumption problem related to a PCV system issue, for which there is a fix available. Your dealer should be able to tell you if yours is included.
2. There have also been problems with cylinder sleeve breakage on some engines. Apparently the vendor for said sleeves over-hardened a batch, and they've proven brittle in use. This particular problem is being rectified via engine replacement.

Good luck and please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Thanks for the info Bill

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dealer replaced Engine under warranty

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dealer replaced engine under warranty at 10,000 miles. They didn't tell me why it smoked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts