Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's what I started thinking after my post. Still, makes me wonder if someone couldn't throw together a kit to do the same thing on the 1st Gen Slingshots since the Slingshot already has a hydraulically-actuated clutch. If nothing else, it would be neat to see a shifthandle-mounted switch that would actuate the clutch for shifting. It seems to me that the most difficult aspect of such a setup would be the initial operation of the clutch from a stop. I may be overly-simplifying the situation, but, IIRC, similar setups have been implemented on two-wheelers to accommodate special situations. It would seem to allow a cheaper entry to semi-automatic trans operation w/o requiring a full-blown automatic transmission.
You would think there would be something you could hook up. They do pushbutton.shifts on racing motorcycles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I really like the instrument cluster and the steering wheel on 2020. Not crazy about push button transmission. And right now I think you can do more with Chevy engine then Polaris. Also not crazy about the colors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This seems like a reasonably accurate review of the new Slingshot, with the rider comparing the new model to his experience in a 2018 Slingshot
This was a good read.

As an ATV/auto/driving enthusiast I appreciate the raw driving experience of my 2017 and hope that down the road the slingshot production doesn't prioritize creature comfort over pure driving experience. That being said, great improvements for 2020, notably the increased redline of 8500. What raises a flag for me is the reported dull steering feeling of the new rack.

I still love my 2017 to death!

·
Registered
15 Posts
This was a good read.

As an ATV/auto/driving enthusiast I appreciate the raw driving experience of my 2017 and hope that down the road the slingshot production doesn't prioritize creature comfort over pure driving experience. That being said, great improvements for 2020, notably the increased redline of 8500. What raises a flag for me is the reported dull steering feeling of the new rack.

I still love my 2017 to death!
I have to agree I love that you have to drive the SlingShot. It takes all the cares in the world away and you just drive.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I will wait a couple of years to see how this model pans out. The only thing with the Slingshot that was solid was the Evotec engine, all kinds of issues with "Polaris built" products on the slingshot. Now you are relying on a Automatic and an engine they designed…..Id wait and see all the recalls.
that's what I'm thinking too, I've had a lot of problems with my SS, including now having to replace the wheel/axle bearings on the back with only 14K miles! This was a ridiculous $600 expense, so wondering has Polaris worked the bugs out on this one? Really like the looks and reviews but are the earlier adopters going to be the "beta" group again?

·
Registered
10 Posts
As far as the 2020R I bought one a month ago and so far love it .Having driven a freinds 2018SlR . I see a few differences the rack is a tad bit slower although that could be just because it isn't broken in. The pep is alot more there in the new one the older one I drove felt a little more sluggish to me . The polaris engine seems alot smoother also the GM engine was a little rougher in my opinion . As for the change to their engine I for one am glad the Prostar line of engines are stout and tough my son has a 2013 ranger 500 and we have trailed her hard and she keeps coming back for more . Polaris was also developing this engine since 2017 and finally worked it out to release this year .
All in all I think the changes have made it more fun to drive ( I did opt for the manual as I agree that is part of the fun). If anyone has any specific questions about the 2020 and I can help I will do so.

·
Registered
448 Posts
As far as the 2020R I bought one a month ago and so far love it .Having driven a freinds 2018SlR . I see a few differences the rack is a tad bit slower although that could be just because it isn't broken in. The pep is alot more there in the new one the older one I drove felt a little more sluggish to me . The polaris engine seems alot smoother also the GM engine was a little rougher in my opinion . As for the change to their engine I for one am glad the Prostar line of engines are stout and tough my son has a 2013 ranger 500 and we have trailed her hard and she keeps coming back for more . Polaris was also developing this engine since 2017 and finally worked it out to release this year .
All in all I think the changes have made it more fun to drive ( I did opt for the manual as I agree that is part of the fun). If anyone has any specific questions about the 2020 and I can help I will do so.
Good to see a positive response for the 2020, love my 2015 just (sick) and tired of all the problems! Curious, could you tell if Polaris has done anything about the extreme heat generated in the cabin? I put new mufflers on mine, taking off the cat. converter, got a lot of fumes in the cabin so then had it put back on! Nice in the winter, but just unbearable in the Texas summer heat. I am just hopeful they have done something about the cabin heat so that I don't have to go through all the "conversion" headaches!. Appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The heat is not as bad as the older ones, but there is still some heat due to the fact they have the dump right below the passengers feet , it isn't as bad as the 2018 I drove and I have read that thermal is developing an exhaust to go out the back above rear wheels similar to the one they have for the others ,but it is supposed to still have a cat and muffler so no nasty fumes . I am also seriously considering the exhaust wrap like they use on car headers. As I said still a little warm but no where near the older ones. Also I live in Florida so I understand what you mean about the heat 🙂 . But as for all the other changes I do honestly think Polaris has done a fantastic job with them.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The heat is not as bad as the older ones, but there is still some heat due to the fact they have the dump right below the passengers feet , it isn't as bad as the 2018 I drove and I have read that thermal is developing an exhaust to go out the back above rear wheels similar to the one they have for the others ,but it is supposed to still have a cat and muffler so no nasty fumes . I am also seriously considering the exhaust wrap like they use on car headers. As I said still a little warm but no where near the older ones. Also I live in Florida so I understand what you mean about the heat 🙂 . But as for all the other changes I do honestly think Polaris has done a fantastic job with them.
I appreciate the comments, In addition I am wondering about the bearings and angle drive noise. Does it seem to you that the noise emanating from the drive gears and bearings is better than the 18 you drove? Many on this forum have had bearing failures, which is totally ridiculous on a low mileage vehicle! Although your brief time on the new one wouldn't tell you anything, just wondering if anybody out there has any reporting from Polaris on improved engineering.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I've got over 58K miles on my 2015 Slingshot and just changed my angle-drive lube and wonder if I didn't get enough lube in there since I noticed some gear whine entering my subdivision this afternoon. I initially had trouble getting more than .5 qt added and tried again to get what I think was close to .75 qt, which should be enough, but I didn't remember the soft whine before. When I drained the angle-drive after about 35K miles before adding the new Red Line Heavy Shockproof lube, I noticed that it didn't look like there was a whole lot in the angle-drive from the last time I changed lube.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts