Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I haven't yet seen any battery upgrades for the 2020 models. I assume the vendors are working on developing accessories for the new design with the battery up front instead of behind the drive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would think polaris would have upgraded the batteries when they came out with the 2020 model

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Just curious, why do you feel that it needs upgrading? Lots of lights, elec goodies?

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
You would think polaris would have upgraded the batteries when they came out with the 2020 model
Polaris has pursued lightening the Slingshot since it was introduced. There seems to be a magical limit of around 1750 lbs empty that a vehicle can not exceed if it's to be classed as a motorcycle. As a result, Polaris has constantly sought to reduce the weight so they can offer an auto transmission to appeal to a larger target group of buyers. Even with the lighter Polaris engine for 2020, a regular auto trans would have weighed too much so this was one of the reasons Polaris chose the AutoDrive since it's significantly lighter than a conventional auto trans.

·
Premium Member
2020 R SlingShot
83 Posts
Just curious, why do you feel that it needs upgrading? Lots of lights, elec goodies?
I agree with your question. I have the 2020R Std and have no electrical issues. I don't have any electrical goodies added on.
I still have the "accessory" set to go off automatically.
I have seen where some were exploring adding a second battery. I guess if I had a load of lights or a super stereo amp, I might be concerned. But not now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Polaris has pursued lightening the Slingshot since it was introduced. There seems to be a magical limit of around 1750 lbs empty that a vehicle can not exceed if it's to be classed as a motorcycle. As a result, Polaris has constantly sought to reduce the weight so they can offer an auto transmission to appeal to a larger target group of buyers. Even with the lighter Polaris engine for 2020, a regular auto trans would have weighed too much so this was one of the reasons Polaris chose the AutoDrive since it's significantly lighter than a conventional auto trans.
I agree with your question. I have the 2020R Std and have no electrical issues. I don't have any electrical goodies added on.
I still have the "accessory" set to go off automatically.
I have seen where some were exploring adding a second battery. I guess if I had a load of lights or a super stereo amp, I might be concerned. But not now.
that's my problem, I have lights and extra speakers/woofer with 2 amps

·
Premium Member
2020 R SlingShot
83 Posts
that's my problem, I have lights and extra speakers/woofer with 2 amps
Search around the forum. There have been discussions about adding a second battery and how to wire it in. I like the idea of an accessory battery. I'm sure you will find something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info on the reasons, I can understand that but they should have made an option for the buyer to install a bigger battery or a different compartment to add an additional one. They are fully aware ppl like to add music and lights to there toy.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Ronald, maybe it would be worth your time if you can find a good radio shop, or perhaps a good mechanic, to determine how much draw your Sling is pulling with all the electrics on. I can barely change a fuze, but seems like someone can figure whether or not your really need a bigger battery. If the battery can't recharge well enuf, you'll soon know with sluggish starts, I think, without your getting stranded. For long term use, you might want to get one of those handy little battery jumpers that Walmart carry's. I have one in mine, just in case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ronald, maybe it would be worth your time if you can find a good radio shop, or perhaps a good mechanic, to determine how much draw your Sling is pulling with all the electrics on. I can barely change a fuze, but seems like someone can figure whether or not your really need a bigger battery. If the battery can't recharge well enuf, you'll soon know with sluggish starts, I think, without your getting stranded. For long term use, you might want to get one of those handy little battery jumpers that Walmart carry's. I have one in mine, just in case.
I purchased some battery jumpers about a month ago. I definitely know I need a bigger battery or an additional one. I'm getting the sluggish starts and always have to keep it started to play music or keep the lights goings. Ill take your advice though and let someone look at it and give me some options.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
One more thing: if you don't have a battery tender or charger, thats something you will need for winter down time. And it would be useful to plug in now each time when you come home. That would keep the batt charged up till you find a solution that works for you. All kinds of brands out there. Something like this tells you instantly how much charge you have on the batt: https://www.walmart.com/ip/6V-12V-Battery-Charger-Maintainer-70W-Automatic-Smart-Charger-Ideal-Charging-LEAD-ACID-Batteries-SUPPLY-Car-Truck-Motorcycle-Lawn-Mower-Boat-More-Onl/873089195?findingMethod=wpa

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
You might be able to speed up availability of a new battery holder for a larger battery if you contact the different Slingshot vendors and tell them what you want.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its not your battery you need to upgrade. If you are pulling too many amps when amplifiers, lights and other electrical goodies are turned on you need to upgrade your alternator. I have a sound system in my work truck that pulled so many amps the OEM alt could not keep up and the battery would go dead if I idled the truck too long, I had to install a separate Alternator just to run the stereo. I haven't seen a bigger alternator out for the 2020 yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My friend has the 2020 and we put an optima battery in the location in the rear where the previous batteries were after adding a sound system and lights.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts